Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Applying for her masters

My daughter started her application process for her masters degree in print making. She will be applying to 7 university's. This will be for next fall semester.

LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona State, New Mexico, Texass, and just to appease me, Oklahoma.

We have visited 3 of these schools this year. Back in April we did the road trip to ASU and New Mexico. That was a great trip. Driving across the desert. Then over the mountians to New Mexico. Got snowed on quite a bit. Very cool. Both schools have nice facilities. Then we did a trip to Athens to visit Georgia in August. Very nice campus and facilities. Kinda boring town though. Unless you want to see a tree that owns itself.

New Mexico was at the top of the list. Then my daughter went online and saw what LSU had to offer. Much more than any other has to offer as far as art classes and print making facilities. So it is her hope that this time next year I will be the proud owner of an LSU shirt. She's been teasing me about it for the past couple weeks. I do sincerley hope she gets accepted. (I'm sure she will)
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Applying for her masters

What are her plans after she completes her masters? I'm genuinely curious what a masters in Printmaking means.

Congrats, I'm sure you're very proud!

vCash

Thanks, very proud of both my kids. They both graduated college Suma Cum Laude. She wants to be a Print Master. This type of printing is centurys old. It consists of many tecniques such as woodcut, engraving, etching, and so forth. She would be making artwork by printing for other artists.

One location that I know of is in Albuquerque, New Mexico called Tamarind. Right across the street from U of New Mexico. She would be working at place like that. That's why UNM was at the top of her list. But LSU offers more of what she is interested in learning.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

I think I saw one of those people at Branson one time.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by deweydw View Post
    So it is her hope that this time next year I will be the proud owner of an LSU shirt. She's been teasing me about it for the past couple weeks. I do sincerley hope she gets accepted. (I'm sure she will)
    But how do you feel about corn dogs

congrats

vCash

Last time I had a corn dog was at SMU stadium last season. It was a footlong and it was good.

Administrator
    vCash

Thanks, very proud of both my kids. They both graduated college Suma Cum Laude. She wants to be a Print Master. This type of printing is centurys old. It consists of many tecniques such as woodcut, engraving, etching, and so forth. She would be making artwork by printing for other artists.

One location that I know of is in Albuquerque, New Mexico called Tamarind. Right across the street from U of New Mexico. She would be working at place like that. That's why UNM was at the top of her list. But LSU offers more of what she is interested in learning.
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm always fascinated by that kind of work, just didn't realize there was advanced education for it...I kind of assumed it was one of those things you had to spend years as an apprentice to learn (which I guess is about the same as a Masters).

Very cool.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    But how do you feel about corn dogs
    At first I didn't get it. Then I asked an LSU alum at work about it. He can't figure out why they smell like corn dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm always fascinated by that kind of work, just didn't realize there was advanced education for it...I kind of assumed it was one of those things you had to spend years as an apprentice to learn (which I guess is about the same as a Masters).

Very cool.
    I never heard of it until she took the class. She still had to explain it to me over and over and over. Then I went with her to her class one weekend. I was like oooooohhh.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

The UNM campus area is not in a good part of town. I wouldn't let my kids have any night classes and I would seriously worry about a daughter going to classes alone.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

vCash

Yea, I wasn't too impressed with that area. But ABQ as a whole, nice city. We had a good time while we were there. Going up on the mountain where it was 30 degree, in April. To me that was cool, being from the Houston area.

Administrator
    vCash

Yea, I wasn't too impressed with that area. But ABQ as a whole, nice city. We had a good time while we were there. Going up on the mountain where it was 30 degree, in April. To me that was cool, being from the Houston area.
    ABQ is a nice city, and I think a good place to live. My biggest shock, moving from OKC to Denver, was how arid it was/is. ABQ is similar to Denver, but with a small town feel. Plus, it's close enough to the mountains to cool off and the balloon festival is awesome!

vCash

We did see one ballon taking off from the stadium. But we really enjoyed Old Town ABQ. Met a small cute old Navajo woman that ran a shop in Old Town. She was just adorable. And the weather was perfect while we were there. I just loved it there.

vCash

Im waitin on THIS to want a Master!

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Heh, That's what I'm dreamin of.

vCash

Heh, That's what I'm dreamin of.
    Saw her Pic the other day at 70sompun she stills Looks good in that costume
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

We lived there for a bit. It is a very diverse city. Lots of adults with master or doctorates (Sandia Labs) or not even high school grads. We lived in one of the best areas and the new elementary schools was being built out of portable buildings. Snow melts by 10AM, rains bring floods to arroyos. It can rain one minute and the fields be ready for play (dry) in 10 minutes.
    Not impressed with public schools and the private schools were extremely expensive and full.
    High Finance used to be a great place to eat. Not so much the last time I was back. Snow on Sandia in June. Sunburns in February.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

vCash

We did have dinner at High Finance. It was pretty good. Expensive but good. And we had a really nice waitress. Tipped her well.

vCash

Update on my daughter's, Elizabeth, masters degree in Fine Arts and Print Making. She had sent out applications to 7 universities back in November. About two and half weeks ago she received a call from LSU. They made her an offer over the phone. It includes tuition free and a $6,300 stipend among a few other things. LSU will send her the paperwork in the mail. Which would take about two weeks. Then a week after that, she received a letter of acceptance from Alabama. But Alabama could not garuantee anything.

As of today, 2/24, she had not received the paperwork from LSU. So she called them this morning. They told her it was at the printers and should have it in a few days. The prof she was talking to let it slip that my daughter was their top recruit. Then she corrected herself and restated one of the top recruits. Sounds interesting... Anyway, Elizabeth told the prof this morning that she was accepting LSU's offer. And she is currently in the proccess of writing e mails to the other universities to withdrawl her applications. And another e mail declining Alabama.

So looks like for now, my daughter will be a Tiger for the next three years.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Good on ya both...makes parents puff up big time when a young 'un
    does good and/or gets recognized!

vCash

Yep, I'm quite proud of her.