Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: 2013-14 OU womens basketball thread

Hey everybody, it's Pain and Panic!

I just watched Disney's Hercules on Netflix last night.

OU 75, Iowa State 82 (overtime)
    I don't care that Iowa State is now ranked No. 11. We are now out of the AP's top 25 with loss No. 5.

We shot an abysmal 3 of 13 from three, committed 15 turnovers and even bonked 6 free throws during the game, which isn't terrible, but hell, if we just made one more during regulation, maybe we would have won?

Eff the usual recap stuff --- we play at Texas on Wednesday, the same day that the men host Kansas. Here's hoping, here's hoping, here's hoping... eff it. Here's some photos of our team:

Morgan Hook:

Nicole Kornet:

Aaryn Ellenberg:

Happier times from a few games back just for fun:

Because I have already declared eff everything, here's some postgame notes from our overlord and master, Iowa State:

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Cyclones, nemesis of our program forever and ever amen
    “I told the kids before the game, ‘We’ve done a lot of good things.’ We’ve won all the game we’ve played, we’ve won our state championship, we’ve won at TCU. This was a measuring stick. When you come here and win, you’re doing something right. That was our message all along. These are games we take great pride in. I have the utmost respect for everything that’s done here and how they do it. I don’t like playing Oklahoma. Coach Coale’s one of my best friends. Those are hard. You know it’s going to be done the right way.”
    Whate whorn: 11 a.m. Wednesday televised on... the Longhorn Network. Eff e'rrrrr-thing once more.

vCash

OU 74, whorn 79 (OT)

Les Miles once conned his way into a title game by saying his two teams' losses were really ties because they were overtime losses. That's ****ing bull**** and we all knew it then, and therefore, there's no way to minimize the sting of loss number...

Even Sherri's gameday attire was meh:

The only thing that saves today is a men's team win at home against Kansas. They start "rock chalking" at LNC tonight, shoot the badger

Statz
    37 pts: Aaryn is too good for this team. Send her to the WNBA now.
    22 turnovers: tl;dr
    20-27 on FTs: Texas shot 30
    8 rebounds: Was it Tall Nicole? Other Nicole? Kay-Kay? No, it was Sharane Campbell.
    12-point halftime lead: Was it Texas' lead? Noooooooooooo it was the other team

SS.com doesn't have quotes, so let's see what texassports.com has...

Gawd dammmmm...

Where in the hell is...

I give up. No Sherri quote today.

Next game: OU hosts KSU at 7 p.m. Saturday. It'll likely be on a Fox Sports whatever.

sad badger is sad. please beat ku sooner men

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

so much for the women picked to win the big12....what the hell has happened?
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Let the healing process begin. Let the season salvaging commence. Let the winning win again.
    KSU 50, OU 61
    I have chatted on fellow Sooners over at ouhoops.com on what the hell went wrong and what can go better, but really, we just need to win again. No more fetal position at the end of tight games then losing in overtime. No more losing to unranked opponents on the road. Just win. Just win. Just. Win.

So, how did they finally win Saturday night? Here's some stats:

23 points for Aaryn: One of the things I mentioned is that players must have defined roles and fill it to the best of their ability. Aaryn is clearly the team's shooter and scorer. On nights that she does this well, our team has a very good chance of winning.

10 rebounds for Sharane: I also lamented the lack of a rebounder that we can rely on, unlike past teams with Joanna McFarland, Amanda Thompson, Courtney Paris, etc. Interestingly enough, Sharane has led the team in rebounds recently. I am not sure what to think about our junior guard leading in rebounds rather than our senior center, our sophomore power forward, or somebody taller.

Crappy stat:

We stink at shooting: Why are we only scoring 61 points against a mid-meh KSU team? 4 for 15 for three, 20 for 49 from the floor overall, and even a few missed free throws (17 for 22).

Hi Sherri. Can we have two quotes this time since I missed you last game?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri postgame quote number one
    “All wins are good wins in the Big 12 Conference. You’ve got to take care of your home floor and we did that tonight. Kansas State is young, and they were playing really really hard and scrappy the entire game, and they are only going to get better. I’m just glad to get away with a win.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherri postgame quote number two
    “You’ve got to have this one. You’ve got have them at home. It was nice not coming down to the final possession. It gave everybody a chance to breathe a little bit. I feel like they’ve been a little strangled over the past week and gave us a chance to breathe. That’s important when you have a whole week ahead of you and then you have to play two really tough road games.”
    Here's some photos from the game just for fun (it was Military Appreciation Night):

Dunk it, Nicole! Actually, I'm quite sure that's just an odd camera angle

Next game: 1 p.m. Saturday at... West Virginia. Furk. TV has not been announced yet.

Boom-ahhhhh...

so much for the women picked to win the big12....what the hell has happened?
    EDIT: I should have answered you, jeep! I think that we were really counting on a redshirt freshman (Maddie Manning) being a solid contributor this season, and then once again, our awesome recruit goes down with an ACL. 6'2" guards are hard to replace in the women's game. I also think that the new refffing rules that are also plaguing the men's side of things this season has impacted us more than other top teams, because (a) we bonk free throws at bad times/too often, and (b) we tend to be a bit silly with our fouls, especially after turnovers (of which we have too many).

With that said, we still have a few months to right the ship. If we beat Baylor, I will forgive all of our overtime losses. If we beat Baylor twice, I will forgive the other four.
    Last edited by badger; 1/13/2014 at 10:56 AM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

The Sooner women seem to have an inordinate number of ACL injuries. Any possible contibutors other than bad luck?

The women are really struggling. No bench and not really much support for Aaryn. Somebody(or 2) is going to have to step up or this season will get away from Sheri in a hurry.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 1/18/2014 at 04:44 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

IMO there is something internally going on although I have no idea. They played very well during the preseason WNIT and haven't played well since so I know the ability is there, but not being shown now.

vCash

I haven't followed them as closely as I have in the past...although I do check scores, etc.

Wow...we went from preseason #1 in Big 12 to 1-3? injuries? I haven't read anything about girls getting hurt...like out for the season.

This is a struggle year for them

*edit Badge...saw your response...so we lose 1 FRESHMAN...and we go to hell in a handbasket? wow. Yes, I know a 6'2 woman's guard is a great thing (coached HS girls) but if need to rely on one kid that doesn't seem good. I will say it seems Coach C is always having girls with acl's. I tore mine last spring...I think they way women's hips are puts a lot of stress on acl's that normally don't take it...(evolutionist will give it another 10K years of women's sports to cure it). It also seems we haven't had a good bench since the Stacey Dales era...or I guess Paris twins.
    Last edited by Soonerjeepman; 1/19/2014 at 10:20 AM.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Let's just make a GIF to commemorate the occasion:

In a nutshell, I'm starting to get used to our women's team losing and I have a feeling that they are, too. It's not that we haven't had 7-loss teams before (only five of Sherri's teams --- three CP3 years, the 2002 runner-up team and the year before that haven't), it's that this team is on a losing skid and having trouble finding a way out. We can't finish games we are close to winning (THREE losses in overtime?!) and some games, we just don't seem to be in position to win.

Take yesterday for example. We had a 17-point deficit and we are in lovely Morgantown, West Virginia. We had an 8-point deficit at the half. How, pray tell, do we get out of this deficit and come away with a win?

Shoot lots of threes: We were 8 of 21. Meh.

Shoot lots of free throws: We were 11 of 14. OK i guess. Only shot 2 in the second half? Meh.

Rebound a lot: Both teams had 31. Meh.

Don't turnover the ball: Both teams had 16. Meh.

Rely on starters and bench players both: 10 players played, but 6 of them had 24 or more minutes, the rest had 7 or less. Meh.

I love Sherri Coale as our coach and I think she can right this ship, but I'm starting to think this season is a lost cause. In the coming months I am going to have to google what the women's version of the NIT is called (yes, I'm joking. after all, we played in the preseason version of it) or if there's anything lesser-lesser we can hope for (WCBI? WCIT?)

I am still a very loyal fan, but alas, that has involved watching lots of Sherri teams of the past, and compared to the Final Fours, the Sweet 16s and the Big 12 champion teams, this is not up to what OU fans like me have become accustomed to under Sherri.

It's time to not blame the refs. We've had months to adjust to them calling ticky tack crap. It's time to not blame injuries, other players should have had the chance to step up and perform by now.

Alas, I am going to put this on the players, because Sherri will be here next year, OU basketball will be here next year and all the banners and trophies of years past will still be part of the OU legacy. However, the players are going to graduate, transfer, be replaced by incoming freshmen or those that have recovered from injuries or that are part of the next recruiting class. The current players that are spending a year of eligibility here at OU have only this season to worry about, because for some of them, there is not going to be a next year.

Please girls, win this year. Don't win this year for me, because I'm an anonymous Internet hack that likes to plagiarize opposing fan boards when their football/basketball teams lose and create GIFs to cope with Sooner losses. Win for yourselves.

Boomer Sooner as always.

PS: Yes, I am now a troll for whoever the men's next opponent is. Beat TCU Wednesday! As for the women... well, you are headed to Iowa State 6 p.m. Tuesday. Please be safe and stay healthy.
    Last edited by badger; 1/19/2014 at 03:40 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Let's just make a GIF to commemorate the occasion:

I am still a very loyal fan, but alas, that has involved watching lots of Sherri teams of the past, and compared to the Final Fours, the Sweet 16s and the Big 12 champion teams, this is not up to what OU fans like me have become accustomed to under Sherri.

this

vCash

Even Sherri's gameday attire was meh:

politely disagree...lol...anything Sherri wears is very good~

vCash

I will probably have to post tons more Sherri pics the rest of the season to get you all to stay interested... and because she may be the only one left on next year's team at this rate. And, we have to go to Iowa State tomorrow, so we are likely staring at loss #8. *sigh* I would much rather be staring at football championship #8

I give you: "Sherri at OU: In pictures"

Sherri Coale in 2012:

Sherri Coale in 2011:

Sherri Coale in 2010 (at Final Four):

Sherri Coale in 2009 (yes, another Final Four):

Sherri Coale in 2008:

Sherri Coale in 2007 (big 12 tourney championship):

Sherri Coale in 2006:

It's hard keeping year-to-year straight in the early years, but here's Sherri not-Coale during her OCU days (the 86-87 season):

Might do more later

vCash

THANKS Badge...it's so stupid cause she's about 3 yrs younger than me...but damn, she's a sports guy's fantasy~ lol.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Very nice win over the Iowa State Cyclonettes today on their own court.

Ellenberg showed up in the 2nd half.

Griffin impressive in the low post as well.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Big win! 'Bout time!

vCash

just read that...yes big win. C'mon ladies...keep it going.

vCash

OU 75, ISU 54
    Tee hee, the Cyclones must be really sick of OU beating them lately I must now cower in shame after showing no faith in the team winning in Ames, so let's just let the box score and Sherri do the talking:

Sharane "Rebound" Campbell: Was once again our leading rebounder, with 9. She also added 10 points, so just shy of a double double.

Vegas scores: 22 pts to lead OU, and also played all 40 minutes.

5-0 for Morgan: 5 assists and zero turnovers. Yay, point guard.

9 players with at least 10 minutes: And a 10th player with 6. Good to see more players getting a chance.

Once again, shame on me for ever doubting. Sherri?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri postgame
    “I’m really proud of our team’s focus, intensity, the passion that we showed tonight...We needed this badly. Obviously, it’s been a long time since we’ve won in this building.”
    According to SS, OU hadn't won in Ames since 2008, when D-Rob was a froshie.

Next game: 7 p.m. Saturday hosting TCU (no TV set yet). If you cannot wait till then for OU to beat TCU, remember that OU will be beating TCU (men) 8 p.m. tonite on ESPNU.

Once again, shame shame shame on badger. I will go post a few bonus meltdowns for you all in penance.

Boom-ah

vCash

no shame...I had no faith as well...OU wasn't playing well and Ames is Ames...

vCash

The women's next game is still tomorrow at 7, but alas, it looks like no real TV, just Sooner Sports TV. They also are just saying "Big 12 Network" for the mens game tomorrow 3 at Tech, so I guess there's always possibilities of finding it via channel flipping.

SF.com no longer allows posters to have more than 10 pics in a post, so let's go ahead and hammer out a few more Sherri pics
    2009:

2006:

I *think* this is when we unexpectedly won the Big 12 tourney in 2005 as a 6-seed...

2003:

And... from the year OU hired her, in 1996:

vCash

mmm, let's go with the after the 2005 season... lol

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

FWIW, my viewing guide says OU/TCU will be shown on FCS Central tomorrow.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.