SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

8time, are you still high and dry?

You're in the Denver area, right? Here's a shout out to all Sooner fans affected by the flooding in Colorado. Hope you all avoided significant damage.

I was vacationing in Boulder county just a few short weeks ago, riding my bicycle and visiting old friends. I rode Flagstaff mountain, Boulder canyon to 4 mile canyon. Lefthand canyon to peak to peak highway and down South St. Vrain into Lyons. I watched the finish of a stage of the US pro challenge bike race in Ft. Collin. Every one of these areas has been mentioned as impacted by floods. Lyons is completely cutoff as I type. We live on an amazingly dynamic planet.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 8time, are you still high and dry?

brother moved to Boulder a yr ago...he LOVES it...motorcycle, bicycle, jeep...crazy weird but he is in Europe with his ex...yes weird. Told him, not sure if he has any damage..
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Five stars for thoughts and prayers to everyone in Colorado, Sooner or not.

vCash

Lived in Ft Collins for 13+ years...'76-'89...saw the damage of the
    Big Thompson flood of '76...wife was supposed to go to Estes that
    day but plans changed at the last minute....dayum lucky...then I
    saw news clips of what's happening to Boulder, Longmont and Big
    Thompson Canyon yesterday and today and had flashback! Flood
    waters in the Big Thompson this time are the most violent water
    I've ever seen...that canyon just funnels the water...wow, eating
    out under the highway...incredible! Sure hope everyone is as
    safe as possible!

Administrator
    vCash

All good here BoulderSooner79.

I'm about 10 miles from Boulder, and we've just got some localized flooding, nothing like they're seeing in Boulder and that area.

I've lived here for almost 20 years, and this is the most rain I've seen in my entire life (that included almost another 20 years in the great state of Oklahoma).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Lots of water but the ground was particularly dry do to the late Aug/early Sept heat, so it sponged a lot of it up.
    I'm a little bit surprised that the counties in the canyon areas along the front range (Boulder etc) haven't improved their drainage infrastructure through their major cities that much since the Big Thompson event. Most of these "state/county/city planning engineers" say that they plan drainage infrastructure to contain a 100 year type flood event and I've heard it mentioned today that this was a 50 year type event (whatever that means. I know a weather reporter tried to explain it last night and only mucked it up) , so whatever they're doing/did in the years since the Big Thompson flood, is not working that well, imo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    Lots of water but the ground was particularly dry do to the late Aug/early Sept heat, so it sponged a lot of it up.
    I'm a little bit surprised that the counties in the canyon areas along the front range (Boulder etc) haven't improved their drainage infrastructure through their major cities that much since the Big Thompson event. Most of these "state/county/city planning engineers" say that they plan drainage infrastructure to contain a 100 year type flood event and I've heard it mentioned today that this was a 50 year type event (whatever that means. I know a weather reporter tried to explain it last night and only mucked it up) , so whatever they're doing/did in the years since the Big Thompson flood, is not working that well, imo.
    I read this was more like a 500 year event. Regardless, at a certain level of rainfall, no amount of money/infrastructure is going to handle it. I suspect that is the case here since the rain was so widespread. The Big Thompson thing was intense but very small and isolated compared to this weeks floods. that was a single cell camped in the Big Thompson canyon, not a near-statewide mass.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

All draining into the Arkansas? Stay away from that low-water dam in Tulsa.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cleller View Post
    All draining into the Arkansas? Stay away from that low-water dam in Tulsa.
    I think that the Colorado Springs area drains into the Arkansas. The Denver front range area drains into the Platte which ultimately drains into the Missouri River.
    Now that this storm drainage is flowing onto the flat lands east of I-25 then along I-76, the news pics are just ridiculous. Ft. Morgan, Sterling, and the areas through central Nebraska are fixing to be inundated.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Have been through a 300 year flood and it is one of the scariest things I ever encountered in my life. Prayers to all in the path but especially our Sooner brethren.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

We had a weekend planned in Estes in a couple of weeks, not so now with the river running through downtown and roads washed out everywhere. Probably heading back to Breck or Apsen. My co-workers from up north (Boulder, Fort Collins) haven't made it in the past few days.

I was at a copier place on the I-70 frontage road yesterday around noon when the road flooded and cars were stalling. It was a good thing my co-worker drove her SUV instead of me driving, my Z4 didn't have the clearance needed to get out of their parking lot. We are on a pretty decent hill out between Aurora and Centennial (downtown/mountain views from out here) so we had no flooding in our area but had plenty of closed sections of road on the way home from LoDo.

Administrator
    vCash

My fellow Colorado residents, looks like we are in for another 2 to 3 days of this, so be safe out there.

P.S. - I'm moving this to the South Oval, otherwise, I think it'll get lost tomorrow.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    My fellow Colorado residents, looks like we are in for another 2 to 3 days of this, so be safe out there.

P.S. - I'm moving this to the South Oval, otherwise, I think it'll get lost tomorrow.

Well I thought the rain was going to be over soon. Hopefully Kathy Is wrong as usual and the rain will stop. They said it was going to rain today and it did not. Luckily I live further from the damn that broke in the arsenal.

Was worried that my rental house was going to flood out as it was only 1 mile from some serious flooding. Luckily it did not get flooded out. Talked to my neighbor who is a trooper and he said a lot of the Troopers around the state have been affected so looks like the State Patrol is short handed right now.

vCash
    Down here in Highlands Ranch area we're doing ok. I know of one person with a basement flood a few miles east but other than that just a lot of standing water in the drainage/relief areas.

From what I've been seeing it's gonna rain a bit today and then a LOT tomorrow.

Stay dry guys! See ya at Stoneys if it's not under water!
    I'm starting to Think Bob is a an evil genius.........He is a mental ninja I tell ya.

Originally posted by oumartin

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerKnight View Post
    Well I thought the rain was going to be over soon. Hopefully Kathy Is wrong as usual and the rain will stop. They said it was going to rain today and it did not. Luckily I live further from the damn that broke in the arsenal.
    We had rain off/on into the afternoon in LoDo yesterday.

One of my wife's co-workers had her basement flood in Aurora, she is up around 6th & Sable.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Skysooner's Avatar
    vCash

It started again. All over the front range by Denver. Hail and some of the worst rain I have seen outside of a hurricane. Scary to be living through this. I'm on a hill, so there is no issues flooding where I am at. About 10 miles from the front range.
    Metaphors be with you!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

Roads are bad though. This is crazy ****! Seriously!!!!