PC training, courtesy of the USDA

Confidential, expensive USDA sensitivity training: ‘The Pilgrims were illegal aliens’

Footage of the United States Department of Agriculture’s compulsory “Cultural Sensitivity Training” program reveals USDA employees being instructed to refer to the Pilgrims as “illegal aliens” and minorities as “emerging majorities” — at “a huge expense” to taxpayers.

The video clips were made public Thursday evening by the conservative government accountability group Judicial Watch, which obtained them through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request made on May 18, 2012.

The clips star Samuel Betances — a diversity instructor with Souder, Betances and Associates — who says in the video that he got his diversity training start under former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. In the clips, Betances instructed USDA employees on the proper thinking about diversity and minorities — or, as he called them, “emerging majorities.”

Between requiring the employees to repeat that “every federal agency has discriminated against African-Americans, Hispanics, Native American Indians and other groups,” and a long account of his personal history, Betances encouraged the employees to take note because the presentation is “a huge expense.”

“If you take a look at all of you here and you think about your salaries and your benefits and what you have left undone – plus my fee – plus the expense of the team that’s putting the video together, this is a huge expense,” he says in his video.

In another clip, Betances attempted to dispel the stigma of illegal immigrants by calling the Pilgrims illegal aliens.

“I want you to say that America was founded by outsiders – say that – who are today’s insiders, who are very nervous about today’s outsiders,” he said in the clip.

“I want you to say, ‘The Pilgrims were illegal aliens,’” he continued. “Say, ‘The Pilgrims never gave their passports to the Indians.’”

Throughout the session, Betances had the employees shout “Bam!” to reinforce his points.

Betances also explained in another clip Judicial Watch highlighted — from the more than three-and-a-half hour video — that he does not like the word “minorities.”

“By the way, I don’t like the word ‘minorities.’ How about ‘emerging majorities’?” he said.

At times in the video, Betances poked fun at “white males.”

“White males founded the USDA! Say ‘Thank you, white males.’ I know it got stuck, some of you couldn’t get it out,” he said to laughter. “I understand. Let’s try that again. Go ahead.”

“Notice I’m not saying, ‘Thank you for slavery, or sexism, or what happened to the indigenous Native American folks.’ I’m saying thank you for what? I’m saying, ‘Thank you for establishing the agency in which those of us that are not white males seek to play a larger role,’” Betances said in a faux giddy manner, before explaining that unity begins with gratitude, before turning to grievances. “We’ve got grievances!,” he said. “This institution, like all federal institutions, have not been fair.”

The training videos were supposed to be kept secret: Judicial Watch describes an Oct. 10, 2011 email exchange in which USDA Training Administrator Vincent Loran requested the training video from Betances and promised it will never get out.

“It will not be used for or show [sic] in any way shape or form,” Judicial Watch quotes Loran as writing…

Judicial Watch notes that in 2011 and 2012, USDA paid Betances and his firm nearly $200,000.

None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Re: PC training, courtesy of the USDA

"You've caused a lot of trouble here today, pilgrim."

If its not bad enough we wasted taxpayer money on this nincompoop, we also wasted in on the salaries of the nincompoops that hired him.

All so that when some slug wants to sue the USDA because an employee uses the wrong language- The USDA can turn around and show they had trained the employees otherwise.
    Last edited by cleller; 2/15/2013 at 10:37 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

One time I got sent to this corporate "sensitivity training" and the instructor was a black female. She asked us to use any words to describe blacks and what was said in the room stayed in the room. Our janitor was made to go to the training and he was pissed because he was retiring the following week. Anyway she baited the room and no one responded. So finally he says lazy. She goes good. Then he says free loader. She goes excellent. Keep em coming. Finally he goes ******...she says good. And then he goes on a roll..darkie, homeboy, thug, criminal, worthless...etc. she keeps writing all this down. Finally he says biscuit lip. She turns to him and says thats enough and called for a break. He shrugged and said well she asked. He retired the next day. Best class I ever attended.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

lol...that's classic DD...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

I will add, that a few yrs ago we had our "career fair" for ele ed...yeah a waste...anyways. We have a black young guy from Hallmark, he's a graphic artist. Has major dreadlocks. The kids (almost all black) ask him if he is from Africa - the hair. He laughs and says, no, I'm American...with African decent. He even went ahead with the I'm not African American, but American, like all of you.

course didn't stick...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diverdog View Post
    One time I got sent to this corporate "sensitivity training" and the instructor was a black female. She asked us to use any words to describe blacks and what was said in the room stayed in the room. Our janitor was made to go to the training and he was pissed because he was retiring the following week. Anyway she baited the room and no one responded. So finally he says lazy. She goes good. Then he says free loader. She goes excellent. Keep em coming. Finally he goes ******...she says good. And then he goes on a roll..darkie, homeboy, thug, criminal, worthless...etc. she keeps writing all this down. Finally he says biscuit lip. She turns to him and says thats enough and called for a break. He shrugged and said well she asked. He retired the next day. Best class I ever attended.
    Being a "recent years" retiree from the military, this is the one thing that I simply HATED about my last 10 years or so.
    Every time something bad happened somewhere, in any of the military services, a new DOD program was created which caused a minimum of one additional training session each, EACH YEAR! (usually half days training somewhere else on base)
    And they wonder why productivity was down?
    Well, as a result overall morale was down too!PC means punish everyone....not just the offender!
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

Quote Originally Posted by diverdog View Post
    LOL - so, any chance your janitor was black?
    None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TitoMorelli View Post
    LOL - so, any chance your janitor was black?
    Nope. Lol. That would have been really funny.

The man should have never been there in the fist place because he has learning disability. Good guy but that type of training was lost on him.

i talked to the instructor at the break and she was cool with it. She said she seen worse but the biscuit lip comment was totally new to her and she found that offensive. It was the first time I ever heard of it as well.

As I said it was a good class.

vCash

I've heard the biscuit lip thing before but forgot about it. Always good to relearn something from your past! LOL
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to be retired from anything having to do with the government. Momma is on the "Diversity Committee" at her gig in Norman, and the horse**** she has to not only endure, but act like she supports is pathetic. Black month. Asian month. Hispanic month. Gay month. You name it. They have to fill these display cabinets with **** about whatever "month" it happens to be.

Some guy was complaining about "how come we don't have white month" and I said we do. It's called Veterans Day. Only we don't get a whole month, just a day, and we still have to have Tuskegee Airmen and Buffalo Soldiers displays so it ain't really white day but it's close enough for me.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

"I want you to say the Pilgrims were illegal aliens" maybe this gentleman can specifically state what immigration laws the Pilgrims broke.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The European colonialists conquered the Americas fair and square. You're not illegal if you bring your own law with you and force the existing power to bend their knee to you.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

The poor ole Indians didn't know how to build a fence?
    After the Pilgrims had the first good corn harvest, and set up their still for liquor........the rest is history.
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The European colonialists conquered the Americas fair and square. You're not illegal if you bring your own law with you and force the existing power to bend their knee to you.
    Best post you ever made. By far.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Treat people right, give them opportunities to succeed and excel and reward that activity. Anything less is excusing poor work ethics. I don't GAS if you are black, purple, green, yellow or whatever, work hard, do good work and you should be rewarded. This Diversity thing IMO is cover to allow less than stellar work activities.

We are all one people - Americans. We need to remember that. China isn't too worried about Diversity.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

THA, China is very worried about diversity. Although the Han Chinese are something like 90% of the population, they have historically lived on only about 30-40% of the land (the good part, but still). They've got massive problems with the Islamic West (for them), the Tibetans, the various mountain peoples of Yunnan and the southern mountains in general. And they've got a national phobia of these folks splintering off.
    If you know nothing else about China, keep that in mind and a whole lot of their more shrill behaviour becomes easier to understand and predict.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The idea of PC training is putrid.

Any time ANY organization brings in 'consultants' they are basically saying that they do not know how to do their own jobs and don't trust their own wit to figure it out.

All consulting firms in any area are utter wastes of time. They are crutches for flacid senior management so they'll have something to point to in the event of failure.

Useless wastes of time and money.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown