Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The debt limit

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The debt limit

Today, President Obama called a news conference to demand that it get raised right away.

I think we can all agree that it's going to rise, but how much and what should be given up in return?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The debt limit

"Debt Limit" that's an oxymoron if ever there was one. The rumor that's being floated is that the House crashes this thing unless Obama agrees to all kind of spending cuts. I doubt if this happens but it's a great way to handcuff Obama and be a thorn in his side to help prevent furthering his agenda.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    "Debt Limit" that's an oxymoron if ever there was one. The rumor that's being floated is that the House crashes this thing unless Obama agrees to all kind of spending cuts. I doubt if this happens but it's a great way to handcuff Obama and be a thorn in his side to help prevent furthering his agenda.
    If they do then it may go to courts as a constitutional battle.

vCash

“It’s like this you see. You come home one day and the main sewage line that runs down the street has stopped up. Every house in the neighborhood is up to the ceiling in crap.

Now you gotta make a decision. Do you raise your ceilings or pump out the poop.”

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Today, President Obama called a news conference to demand that it get raised right away.

I think we can all agree that it's going to rise, but how much and what should be given up in return?
    Nothing.

You don't get to hold the country hostage in order to pay for the obligations Congress has already voted to incur.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Obammy has been holding us hostage, why shouldn't Congress hold him hostage. Besides, Congress is the budgeting authority, not the WH.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

And Congress has already spent this money. This is about paying debts previous congresses voted to take on. If you don't understand that, you don't have any business in this conversation. This is Congress voting not to make the credit card payment--to become deadbeats. This is not about new spending.

vCash

Well, therein lies the rub....Obammy got his spending requests earlier on a deal to cut spending in the future, he ain't...So now the game and oneupsmanship begins for the promise of a burger today to be paid for tomorrow...

If you cant figure that out, you have no business in this thread...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Obama says no deal this time.

He's gone back on his word before.

After all.......he's a politician.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    Obama says no deal this time.

He's gone back on his word before.

After all.......he's a politician.

5-0
    As a Democrat, would you accept concessions by your Democrat representatives, especially after they ceded ground on the $250k tax rise thing last time around?

It seems apparent that there are many Republican voters here that aren't going to be happy if Republicans don't come away with spending cuts this go-around, after Republicans ceded to $450k and up tax hikes

vCash

In 1985, Congress passed a debt-limit increase along with the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings deficit-reduction package.

In 1990, a Democratic Congress raised taxes, cut spending, and increased the debt limit in a bipartisan agreement with a Republican president.

In 1993, a Democratic Congress and president passed legislation that raised taxes, restrained spending, and raised the debt limit.

In 1997, a Democratic president and a Republican Congress agreed to budget legislation that they claimed would reduce the deficit and that also raised the debt limit.

In 2010, a Democratic president and Congress raised the debt limit while also enacting budget rules that were supposed to encourage restraint.

In 2011, a Democratic president and a Republican Congress raised the debt limit while also imposing spending cuts.

Cutting spending while raising the debt limit is routine. But to some, it is now holding the country hostage....

Humorous.

vCash

The economy can't afford spending cuts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diverdog View Post
    If they do then it may go to courts as a constitutional battle.
    I wonder which side Obama would argue... He has done both.

Back in 2006:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills.
    Raising the debt limit = can't pay its own bills.

Obama today:

To even entertain the idea of this happening, of America not paying its bills, is irresponsible. It’s absurd.
    So not raising the debt limit = American not paying its bills.

Nothing like covering all the bases.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The economy can't afford spending cuts.
    It just afforded a tax raise...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sappstuf View Post
    It just afforded a tax raise...
    I don't think the current economy can handle a 2% across the board tax increase (SS and over 400k)...add in spending cuts and we are risking a new recession...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    As a Democrat, would you accept concessions by your Democrat representatives, especially after they ceded ground on the $250k tax rise thing last time around?

It seems apparent that there are many Republican voters here that aren't going to be happy if Republicans don't come away with spending cuts this go-around, after Republicans ceded to $450k and up tax hikes

As an American who cares about the Nat'l Debt, I'd take a terrible swift sword to the Budget, regardless of the Debt Limit.

I take offense to the idea of 'no spending cut, then no limit increase' hostage scenario.

Where was the spending outrage when Bush was 'runnin' it up'?

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

When my lib neighbor exclaimed that he thought President Obama was "like a Republican," I almost died laughing thinking of how many then-South Ovalies would rage over such a thought.

Silly isn't it, that spendy W. and "Republican-like" Obama are most unpopular with the opposite party, when in fact they've done things to give something to the opposite side

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    we are risking a new recession...
    Its gonna happen regardless of what is done. So I would argue real spending cuts to reduce the size of the budget...

The global economy is not humming along. We will be in this fog for a while longer...

vCash

I take offense to the idea of 'no spending cut, then no limit increase' hostage scenario.

5-0
    I agree on Bush, disagree on the other premise. We need cuts now regardless and I would not want Obammy to get only tax hikes with no spending cuts.

basically, Obammy is trying to stick a knife into the Repubs and kill the party with dissention after a vote...This term, everything about Obammy is to destroy the Republican party as future opposition to the Progressive way...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Its gonna happen regardless of what is done. So I would argue real spending cuts to reduce the size of the budget...

The global economy is not humming along. We will be in this fog for a while longer...
    OK...if we were to cut spending and we went into recession would we then raise spending to pay the additional unemployment benefits? Would we then lose tax revenue due to less people working? Would we not increase spending in an attempt to stabilize the economy? Could it be possible that we would actually increase the deficit and debt instead of reducing them?