Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

K-Cup machine help

I've had my K-cup coffee machine for over a year, and recently it's only brewing about half a cup (sometimes less). I've read through the manual, and done the whole de-scale thing (run white vinegar through the machine, etc). It'll run fine for a cup or two afterward, then it's back to the same 1/2 cup shenanigans. The display says to de-scale, so I can only assume it's still an internal issue.

I recently bought a filter that you put in the tank, because I typically use tap water (which I'm sure leads to the build-up), but I still have the 1/2 cup issue.

Has anyone had this happen, and what did you do to fix the problem?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: K-Cup machine help

Yes. I've stuck a bent paperclip up the needle part which is exposed when the K-cup holding part is open and cleaned out blockages there. From time to time, coffee or whatever will go up the downspout and gum things up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Directions are specific, use filtered or distilled water. The minerals are
    doing you in.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Throw it in the garbage and getcha $7.99 percolator. JMO
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    Keurigs are pretty good when all you want is one cup. Most of the time, I grind my own and use the little plastic K-cup insert thing, but occasionally will enjoy some of their hot apple cider cups. That stuff is delicious.

They're convenient as heck, but also ridiculously expensive.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Directions are specific, use filtered or distilled water. The minerals are
    doing you in.
    I know, I know, but when I'm out and need coffee, I just use tap water.

Over the weekend, I found a filter that you put over the intake (in the water tank), it's made by Kuerig and has interchangeable charcoal filters. Now, if only I had this when I first bought the damn thing.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Yes. I've stuck a bent paperclip up the needle part which is exposed when the K-cup holding part is open and cleaned out blockages there. From time to time, coffee or whatever will go up the downspout and gum things up.
    I think that's what I'll have to do. I've done that before, but always feel like I'm going to screw it up.

Administrator
    vCash

Like Midtowner said, it's just so damn convenient. It's also nice to have various coffee selections (plus tea and hot chocolate for the boy). I still have a regular brewer, and I'll use that on the weekends, when I'm going to drink more than one cup.

vCash
    I go for taste. Ain't gonna get much better than drinking coffee from a well seasoned percolator, IMO. I've had mine for 30 yrs,, no probs with calcium buildup. Very forgiving machine.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

When I go for taste, I buy high quality beans roasted locally, grind 'em in my burr grinder and then into the French Press.

Most of the time though, I want quick caffeine and it's hard to beat the just-expired box of K-cups (I'm not really sure how coffee sealed in a plastic cup can go bad) I found online for that purpose.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

I bought a Kuerig when I moved up here, used bottled water until we moved into the rental. We bought a Pur faucet filter here but it won't work on the faucet at the new house, it is yours if you want it, it needs a new filter. We will be using bottled water for now but may get an undercounter water filter but that will require coring the granite countertop.

vCash
    Heh,,so you buy expired coffee for taste? How is buying your own beans, then grinding them in a French press, then putting them into the little k-cups considered a convenience? Lol, think my percolator is more of a convenience.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Heh,,so you buy expired coffee for taste? How is buying your own beans, then grinding them in a French press, then putting them into the little k-cups considered a convenience? Lol, think my percolator is more of a convenience.
    I buy the expired K-cups 'cuz the grocery store cups are a rip off. If I'm drinking for taste, I'd never go near that swill.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I bought a Kuerig when I moved up here, used bottled water until we moved into the rental. We bought a Pur faucet filter here but it won't work on the faucet at the new house, it is yours if you want it, it needs a new filter. We will be using bottled water for now but may get an undercounter water filter but that will require coring the granite countertop.
    I found the filter attachment at Target over the weekend ($20), I figure it'll save me the bottled water cost in the long run. Honestly, I'm not home enough to use the faucet filter, thanks for the offer though. Put it on Craigslist.

Administrator
    vCash

I go for taste. Ain't gonna get much better than drinking coffee from a well seasoned percolator, IMO. I've had mine for 30 yrs,, no probs with calcium buildup. Very forgiving machine.
    I do admit to loving coffee from the percolator (I use one for camping). I've found some really good coffee for the K-cup, so I'm not really sacrificing taste.

I also have a friend that owns a local coffee company* that roasts beans. I've stopped by his place and he's ground beans right out of the roaster and made coffee...incredible. I've never had a better cup of coffee in my life. He told me that once the beans are roasted, they start losing their flavor profile almost immediately, and unless you can grind and brew them immediately, all beans lose flavor regardless of brewing method.

The name of the company is Dazbog Coffee, I think they sell online....really good stuff.

vCash

You Bunch of dayum Fags are whats wrong with this country! Turn in yer Man cards . Drink Coffee the way God intended.

Bunch of dayum Fags.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash
    I'll have to try that company. I do have a keurig but I never use it. Coffee is very bitter, no matter what little k-cup brand I use. I've tried almost all out the sample box,,,,all were either bitter or too strong. Went back to the percolater.
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

I got it because my friend whose place I was staying at doesn't drink coffee and it was a quick way to get one cup in the morning on the way to work, but I'm not a real big coffee guy either. It was strictly as a matter of convenience.

Never tried Dazbog but I pass one on the way to work and there is one out on our end of town.

vCash

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash
    Mcd's coffee > Starbucks coffee
    Posted from iOS app