Thread: Fans

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 I Am Right's Avatar
    vCash

Fans

I am tired of those in the media getting on the fans of OU Football. Look you media, what have you done for me lately, we are used to winning games, we like winning National Championships not just Big 12 or Big 8 or Big whatever. We are fans of our school, we like OU whether we attended OU or not, we get upset if we lose and are happy if we win. We bitch and moan at lack of effort, coaching or talent, but don't you sanctimonious blowhards try to tell us we aren't good fans when we do. Another OU fan can call me or other OU fans out, but not you!!!!! Your favorite team is the one who just won, your all time QB is the one who just threw for a TD. Soooo Get off your high horse, you couldn't carry my jock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash

Re: Fans

There's a reason the media is lumped in with used car salesmen, lawyers, and politicians.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MyT Oklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

I don't care what the media says. I don't respect many of them anyway.
    OU 20 UT 36 "It is what it is." Mack Brown 10/12/13

Administrator
    vCash

There was a time when the media was respected, and justly. That time has passed.

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

Show me the Carfax, ESPN.
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The media only says what tons of people say, and if you need any proof that OU football fans have been spoiled lately, just look at that long list of coaches that were fired in college (and the nfl) since they didn't win enough. Just look at the melty fanbases around the internets in both basketball and football that call for coaches to be fired, scholarships to be revoked etc.

But, there are much worse things to be angry about than a sports team losing. I read about those things in the media too

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Doged's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The media only says what tons of people say
    The flip side of that is the tons of people who only say what they hear the media say. There are far too many people these days who won't use their freedom to form their own opinions since it's much easier to have their opinions fed to them by media types.

OU football fans are spoiled, I agree, and like most people I like being spoiled.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Right View Post
    I am tired of those in the media getting on the fans of OU Football. Look you media, what have you done for me lately, we are used to winning games, we like winning National Championships not just Big 12 or Big 8 or Big whatever. We are fans of our school, we like OU whether we attended OU or not, we get upset if we lose and are happy if we win. We bitch and moan at lack of effort, coaching or talent, but don't you sanctimonious blowhards try to tell us we aren't good fans when we do. Another OU fan can call me or other OU fans out, but not you!!!!! Your favorite team is the one who just won, your all time QB is the one who just threw for a TD. Soooo Get off your high horse, you couldn't carry my jock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's okay to expect national titles and maybe complain a bit but the expectation that we'll win a title every few years is unreasonable. In fact, remember back to the '90s there were plenty of people believing that the landscape of college football had changed and OU's days of winning national titles might be over. (This was partly due to the fact that we need players out of Texas and with the Big 12 there was less of a reason for Texas players to leave the state since they were no longer relegated to the SWC.)

Where I have a problem is when these unreasonable expectations cause more problems in the program. If the fans stop going to games just because we don't win a national title every few years we're only hurting ourselves. If we fire successful coaches just because they're not winning titles then we all lose.

The only program I can remember who has replaced national title winning coaches and kept on winning was Miami in the '80s and early '90s. They did it twice but they were also cheating like nobody's business.

But I agree that there is nothing wrong with demanding more out of our defense, whether or not we shared the conference title (which is B.S. to begin with as KSU won the title as far as I'm concerned).

NIce post!
    StoopTroup is the MAN!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Doged View Post
    The flip side of that is the tons of people who only say what they hear the media say.
    If they do, it's their own damn fault. At least they don't form their opinions off angry message boards (FIRE EVERYONE REVOKE EVERYONE'S SCHOLARSHIP)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ADs_Agent's Avatar
    vCash

Anyone who listens to WWLS gets what they deserve for listening. For years the Sports Animal, mainly Al Eschbach, has been shoving down that Oklahoma is a favorite to win the BCS every year. He is a sunshine pumper and force feeds the listeners OU Kool-Aid. Switzer said it best, OU doesn't have that great of talent right now. Can that be changed? Of course. Should fans be content with how the last 2 seasons have gone? Absolutely not.
    "Wounds Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, and Glory Lasts Forever!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ADs_Agent View Post
    Anyone who listens to WWLS gets what they deserve for listening
    Al and Jim and those types annoy me, but it is cool to hear ex-players on (like Paul Thompson!) occasionally.