Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

So FSU QB is only the second?

QB to win 4 Bowl games.

Did I hear em tright?
    If so then Landry has a shot of being the 3rd.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: So FSU QB is only the second?

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    QB to win 4 Bowl games.

Did I hear em tright?
    If so then Landry has a shot of being the 3rd.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I was only about halfway paying attn; most of the time I had the mute on... were they talking all NCAA qbs or just FSU?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    I was only about halfway paying attn; most of the time I had the mute on... were they talking all NCAA qbs or just FSU?
    Im like you I were only Halve assed listenin to em .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

They meant all QBs because the first one was Pat White at WVU (yes, he got one of 'em against us).

I doubt there is that many QBs that have played in 4 bowl games, so it's not surprising that winning 4 is rare.

vCash

Yep, it's only recently that we have so many bowl games that pretty much guarantee any decent program of 4 straight bowl seasons, and in the very old days, you couldn't go to the same bowl two years in a row I think. In between that time when you didn't have so many bowl games and there was no prohibition on going to consecutive games, you actually had to play quality opponents too so it was harder to win them.

vCash

White's still the only one because Manuel did not start in their win over South Carolina to end the '10 season. He came in in the 2nd quarter when Ponder got hurt.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    They meant all QBs because the first one was Pat White at WVU (yes, he got one of 'em against us).

I doubt there is that many QBs that have played in 4 bowl games, so it's not surprising that winning 4 is rare.
    If we can muster some semblance of defense, we can subdue johnny hyman and gang, and the SEC SEC SEC can get their 3rd bowl loss this season.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Yep, it's only recently that we have so many bowl games that pretty much guarantee any decent program of 4 straight bowl seasons, and in the very old days, you couldn't go to the same bowl two years in a row I think. In between that time when you didn't have so many bowl games and there was no prohibition on going to consecutive games, you actually had to play quality opponents too so it was harder to win them.
    I would have to research to be sure, but I believe in the 1950's a team couldn't even go to ANY bowl for 2 yrs in a row.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

I believe you're right Rush.

This thread theme took me by surprise. Big Game Bob is back. Now if we could avoid those unpleasant little surprises in the regular schedule........
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Yep... let's give Landry a good send-off for graduation and make him the third QB to win 4 bowls.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    I would have to research to be sure, but I believe in the 1950's a team couldn't even go to ANY bowl for 2 yrs in a row.
    Correct-a -mundo...50's, 60's, into the 70's cause I remember
    being ticked that Switzer got locked out a couple of times...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Ponder not play in his last 2 bowels games?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Jones has shattered virtually every passing school record, led the Sooners to more wins than any other quarterback and has a chance to join West Virginia's Pat White as the only quarterbacks in FBS history to win four bowl starts.

He'll be the 2nd...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma...-where-started
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

That's what I was thinking Jeepman.

Ponder started his final bowl game before getting hurt. Or EJ would have been the second one.

But he did lead FSU to four bowl wins, just didn't start his first bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

vCash

Definitely LJ deserves some Accolades for winning four once we beat aTm. Matter of fact...I wouldn't be opposed to having a section in the Switzer Center that addresses his Accomplishments as our Starting QB. LJ has stayed healthy and put up Stats and accomplishments that I seriously doubt will be matched unless we have another 4 year starter that puts up huge numbers and a Heisman Trophy. Then I think he still is mentioned as one of our best.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Jones has shattered virtually every passing school record, led the Sooners to more wins than any other quarterback and has a chance to join West Virginia's Pat White as the only quarterbacks in FBS history to win four bowl starts.

He'll be the 2nd...

http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma...-where-started
    Wish I'd said that......
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    If we can muster some semblance of defense, we can subdue johnny hyman and gang, and the SEC SEC SEC can get their 3rd bowl loss this season.
    Let's give them their 4th loss!
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Correct-a -mundo...50's, 60's, into the 70's cause I remember
    being ticked that Switzer got locked out a couple of times...
    You are off on that. Switzer's teams failed to appear in bowls in only 73 and 74 (due to NCAA probation), and in 83. In 83, the four loss Sooners would have been relegated to a lesser bowl and Switzer publicly announced that he would rather stay home than play in a bowl that was beneath us. Thus, we were offered no bid. Nowadays we are contractually bound to appear in whatever afterthought bowl comes calling, but coaches had more power and freedom in the old days.

Regarding the "no two bowls in a row" rule, that was a Big 6 - Big 7 rule, aka the "Oklahoma Rule." OU played in three consecutive Sugar Bowls at the end of the 49, 50 and 51 seasons, and our reception in New Orleans was less than welcoming on our third trip. OU President George Lynn Cross interpreted this as the Louisianans were tired of OU, and the Sooners were tired of New Orleans. As there were only about five bowls at the time, and it was likely that any repeating bowl team would be going often to the same place, he just thought it made better sense to have such a rule.

As the other conference schools had little chance of making a bowl unless OU excluded itself, they were eager to adopt this rule as well.

Not sure when it was dropped, but before the Switzer era.
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Don't forget that Freshman couldn't even play varsity until 1972 so the earliest someone could have established this record would be following the 1975 season.