Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Gundy Interview Rumors...but that's not the good part...

He doesn't want to play the tough out of conference schedule. He's scared of a little out of conference competition.

Thankfully our head coach has some balls.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-state-foo...ne_osu-cowboys

STILLWATER — Rumors continue to swirl, linking Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy to vacancies at other schools.
    For weeks, it's been Arkansas.
    Then this past weekend, it was Tennessee, with Volquest.com, the school's Rivals affiliate, reporting Gundy interviewed Sunday with Volunteers athletic director Dave Hart.
    And still Arkansas, with Hogs247, one of the school's primary recruiting sites, reporting the school was “feeling good” about Gundy for its opening.
    Gundy, as expected, declined to comment on if he had interviewed for the Tennessee job — or has had contact with any other schools — during his Sunday night teleconference to discuss the Cowboys' selection to the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
    When asked what he did Sunday, an off day for players, Gundy said he spent it “around the house.”
    “I would never, just for everybody involved, never talk about any other job or (give) any confirmation of anything that's gone on,” Gundy said. “…I would prefer not to talk about anything other than Oklahoma State or the bowl game.”
    Not exactly a straight-up denial to dispel the speculation. And the truth is, with Gundy's track record of success, he's often going to be mentioned as a desirable candidate when jobs become available at traditional programs like Arkansas or Tennessee.
    But what would possibly lead Gundy to even consider leaving OSU, his alma mater and the program he built into a national contender? The school with which he recently signed a lucrative new contract that goes through 2019? The city where his family just moved into a new home and plenty of relatives live nearby?
    Reports indicate the relationship between Gundy and OSU athletic director Mike Holder is not what it once was. Last year's contract negotiations dragged out and did not go as smoothly as everyone involved had hoped.
    Additionally, Gundy clearly wants more of a role in scheduling, saying repeatedly that he prefers to play the easiest nonconference slate possible. Instead, Holder recently signed off on an ESPN-made game against Mississippi State at Reliant Stadium in Houston for the Cowboys' 2013 season opener, and CBS reported last month that OSU and Florida State are in discussions to play a game at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington in 2014. Both games would provide a huge payday and plenty of television eyeballs for a marquee matchup, as well as fill hard-to-plug gaps in OSU's early season schedule.
    “The very best chance for us to win a Big 12 championship is to not encourage what could be a 10th game of the year that could be very difficult,” Gundy said in November. “It's just the percentages. But I don't do scheduling. I've not been involved in scheduling, so if that's going on, it's dealing with somebody else.”
    It's hard to fathom Gundy actually bolting OSU for a job like Arkansas or Tennessee, two schools with plenty of history but in rough shape at the present moment.
    And it's possible — even likely — Gundy is using any talks with other schools as leverage he and big-time agent Jimmy Sexton can use with OSU. We saw it last week with Les Miles, who got a new contract from LSU just after having preliminary discussions with Arkansas.
    Or, at the very least, Gundy is trying to make a point that he wants more control over all aspects of his program.
    There's definitely smoke surrounding Gundy and his interest in other head coaching jobs.
    But is there fire?
    Stay tuned.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Gundy Interview Rumors...but that's not the good part...

Sooner or later he's going to lay a turd with an OC hire.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gundy and/or Patterson leaving would definitely not be a good thing for the conference.

vCash

Gundy sucks...
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Gundy needs to go while the going is good,,ship only stops once at OSU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Gundy sucks...
    Lol yeah right.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Gundy sucks...
    But it's sort of like ut, do we really want Mack or Gundy to leave???

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercastor View Post
    Gundy and/or Patterson leaving would definitely not be a good thing for the conference.
    Maybe not , but it would be fun to watch the Ag meltdown tho wouldnt it ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Wonder how these schools feel about being used as leverage to up your contract? Can you see them sitting across a table from Les?

"Les, are you interested in this job? Les? What is that?....I wouldn't eat it, put it back on the floor. Is something wrong with your chair? So, about the coaching vacancy...yes, I see it, it is a pretty bird. No, I don't know what it is. No, I'm not sure when they will be back with the Skittles...."

vCash

While it paid off in some previous years, it certainly didn't pay off this season playing a non-conference schedule with at least one tough team. OU is paying for the ND loss dearly this season. And OU should have never scheduled ND in the first place due to the curse that nothing can overcome.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Forget Mike Holder (but if you want to think about him, he has won golf national titles, and as golf is a bragging sport for business professional types, you know what level of arrogance he's on even before he became poke AD). Let's think about the guy REALLY pulling the strings... T. Bone Pick.

Here's a guy who is buying up water rights in west Texas where there is no water so that he can sell it to metro areas. Here's a guy who made his fortune off polluting energy that's trying to con everyone into thinking he's all for the environment in his wind energy initiative. Here's a guy that tried to SELL the idea (he didn't just pitch it, he wanted to be PAID for it) that dying group supporters would be profitable for said group via expensive insurance plans (all of the Pokes in that group are still alive, mind you, after OSU lost millions on it). After he supported the anti-Kerry "Swift Boat Vets for Truth" stuff in 2004, he tried to come up to John Kerry at the next Democratic Convention in 2008 (because remember - he's a pro-environment guy now!) and Kerry, to his credit, dodged the outstretched hand and continued walking.

Let's just say it: Philanthropy isn't generosity to this guy. It's buying influence so that he can play Jerry Jones without owning an NFL team.

So if Gundy's mad at anyone, it's Boone Tang. And Pickens' Texas-level arrogance (where he lives now, not in Oklahoma, probably so he doesn't have to pay our measly 4 percent income tax, loser) won't allow Gundy to call the shots on non-conference scheduling nor anything else at HIS program. Just like Jerry Jones said he would never step down as de facto GM of the Cowboys, Pickens will NOT step down at de facto GM of THESE "Cowboys"

In conclusion, we are OK-FIRST, and they are still OKLAST.

PS: This is not to knock OSU, I know you guys had a tough weekend via your fooseball and Travis Fording. This is a knock on your big money benefactor that will drive your most successful coach out of his - and I assume yours - beloved alma mater.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

I actually tried to read some stuff at Go Pokes to figure out how the landscape lays in Stillwater. They seem to feel that Gundy is tired enough of Boone pulling Holder's strings that he might leave, but likely is just screwing with Holder because Holder jacked him around on his last contract.

That sound right?

Obviously Boone runs the entire school, which is a disgusting cuckold-type arrangement. Apparently Gundy is also tired of Boone and Holder dictating who will be on the coaching staff. Since Gundy is a man, and likely the only man in this whole equation, I can see him leaving.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Am I the only one that sees Arkie as a lateral move?
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    Arky and Tennessee both. I know that the way that you spell SEC is S-E-C! (chanted repeatedly) but their alumni are crazy, their fanbase expectations are unrealistic and they are not going to win unless they get a Lane Kiffin-type in to stir the pot.

Is it better to flame out in two years (or one) in the SEC, or to just keep your good thing going at your alma mater, even with a meddling billionaire and his puppet AD? Stay at Poke, . If you get fired a la Gene Cheese-it, it'll take years in the mid-majors (with mid-major-level contracts, although I'm sure you'll have a nice buyout after your firing) to rebuild your reputation and career. You're only in your 40s, it's far too early to be labeled a loser in the SEC... and what is there to gain?

Gundy should go to Tennessee and see what a stadium of 100 thousand looks like. They even show up when the team and season are not any good. OSU is stepping stone to better programs. Ask Les Miles....... If Gundy is truly a great coach, he should be up ot the challenge....

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

I don't think UA and Tenn should be mentioned in the same breath. Tenn has only sucked since DOh!boy left. Yeah, they were bad in his last couple of years, but they can cling to the Manning/Tee years. Aside from Dmac, Arkie hasn't really been on the national (top 10) radar with any consistency since they were in the SWC.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    Arkie's got more history in the football arena, but not nearly as much 'lately' as the Pokes. It is SEC, SEC, SEC, so for some that's a plus. Arkie is also a lot 'smaller' than OSU and doesn't have the facilities or ability to recruit. But, Arkie is in Fayetteville which is, even during the middle of a howling ****storm, about eleventybillion times better a place to live than Stillwater.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Gundy doesn't have the cajones to go ahywhere. He may have his detractors in the Stool but they will back him the same way they did the drunken Suttons, whether the Pukes are winning or not. T-Bone is not going to live forever - Gundy can stand on his head until the old miscreant croaks.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

Maybe Gundy is finally feeling like T. Boone's whore.......he already knows that Holder is.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

ONe "advantage" to Ark and Tennessee is that both are kings of their states. No matter what he does at oSu the Pokes are always gonna be second fiddle in the state to the Sooners.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless