Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Big 10 might add Maryland, and Rutgers. When is the Big 12 going to get back to 12

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...delany-rutgers

This is rediculous. The SEC is already at 14 the Big 10 might be going to 14 soon(obviously both conferences plan to eventually go to 16 yet the Big 12 cannt even get back to 12 teams so we can hold a conference championship game. Not having a conference championship game will put Big 12 teams at a disadvantage when the playoffs start in 2 years, and the selection committee decides which 4 teams get in.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Big 10 might add Maryland, and Rutgers. When is the Big 12 going to get back to 1

Maybe this will lead to other ACC defections. I wouldn't mind grabbing a few of those teams.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Big 10 might add Maryland, and Rutgers. When is the Big 12 going to get back to 1

I've been saying since the additions of WVU and TCU that the Big XII needed to pick up two more. For whatever reason, the official word continues to be "we're happy at 10". They're going to **** around long enough and there really won't be any teams worth a **** left, and we'll end up getting Temple and San Jose State, or the equivalent. I just don't get the waiting game, it's pretty clear at this point that the magic number is going to be 14.

vCash

when is that Jacka$$ Dodds at tex going to retire? He seems to be the most vocal person against expansion.

I think it would be good to give WV some eastern company, like Pitt. Those two fanbases get along real well don't they?

Wonder what Mizzou is thinking? They started all this crap by flirting with B10, got stood up for Nebraska, now find themselves doormatting in the SEC... while the B10 is talking growth again...heheheh...

vCash

Maryland going to the Big 10 makes absolutely no sense.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Please! NO Rutgers! Their "fans" are horrendous and they don't bring anything to the table anyway. I live an hour from the campus and would love to have a close OU game, but not that bad.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    Please! NO Rutgers! Their "fans" are horrendous and they don't bring anything to the table anyway. I live an hour from the campus and would love to have a close OU game, but not that bad.
    you're safe since they're due to announce later this week their intention to join the Big 10.

This is no longer about expanding back to 12, this conference will be left behind without expanding to 14. Florida State is back in play....and so is Clemson I suspect.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    when is that Jacka$$ Dodds at tex going to retire? He seems to be the most vocal person against expansion.

I think it would be good to give WV some eastern company, like Pitt. Those two fanbases get along real well don't they?

Wonder what Mizzou is thinking? They started all this crap by flirting with B10, got stood up for Nebraska, now find themselves doormatting in the SEC... while the B10 is talking growth again...heheheh...
    I love the idea of Nebrasky and Mizzou returning, but neither of them probably do.

WVU and Pitt do hate each other, yes, but not sure Pitt wants to abandon their east coasters for the mighty midwest.

vCash

Pitt would likely stay with the ACC along with Syracuse. They went there for more than football reasons.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    you're safe since they're due to announce later this week their intention to join the Big 10.

This is no longer about expanding back to 12, this conference will be left behind without expanding to 14. Florida State is back in play....and so is Clemson I suspect.
    Yep, what I was thinking when I read about the moves this morning...

I wonder if BYU will be in play....

As for the fourth team??? UTEP, Tulsa, La Tech? Houston?
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

The problem for the Big-12 is that any added teams at this point bring little in value. IMHO the best bet for OU at this point would be the revival of the Pac-16 option with Texas, oSu, and Texas Tech merging with Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah as an eastern division of a Pac-16. Seems better than trying to salvage a watered down Big-12
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac94 View Post
    The problem for the Big-12 is that any added teams at this point bring little in value. IMHO the best bet for OU at this point would be the revival of the Pac-16 option with Texas, oSu, and Texas Tech merging with Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah as an eastern division of a Pac-16. Seems better than trying to salvage a watered down Big-12
    And just tear up the LHN and Fox Sports contracts?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouflak View Post
    And just tear up the LHN and Fox Sports contracts?
    Doesn't Fox Sports have a contract with both the PAC 12 and the Big 12? Seems that could be easily reworked.

The LHN could be more of a sticking point. It's the same reason those c0cksuckers did this in the first place, they wanted to protect their interests, conference affiliations be damned. Too bad the LHN hasn't been much of a success. I wonder if Texas and Larry Scott will reapproach this deal now?
    Atheist.

vCash

I don't get this business about adding TV markets, especially in this day and age when I can watch any football game anywhere from my house. How is it that adding MD and Rutgers adds the NYC and DC markets if nobody in either of those towns cares about either of those teams? Seems to me that adding Duke would give you a bigger share of NYC and NJ since about their entire student body and alumni base is from that area.

Rutgers going to the B10 I can understand, but it's such a stupid move by MD. They're going to be a bigger fish out of water in the B10 than Nebraska is. Cherish your newfound rivalry with Rutgers, Maryland. I'm sure that one is really going to be better than what you had in the ACC.

vCash

The LHN isn't doing all that great ... and the bonus is that Fox sports is a Pac-12 partner as well ... anyway ... thinkning long term here ... but with the wave being 14 team conferences (CNNSI reporting UConn to the ACC) the Big East is now pretty much picked apart in terms of anyone worth having. So long term does the Big-12 stand pat at 10 while things evolve around them or what are the options? What's best for Oklahoma long term?

The Pac-12 will now have it's own network, the Big-10 was the forerunner here, and the SEC network is coming in a few years. These are the big 3 conferences ... they are the most stable leagues longterm. So where does Oklahoma's interests lie? Is the Big-12 viable in the long term ... 10-20 years from now? Is this conference as is going to keep up with the big three conferences that are emerging?
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Maryland going to the Big 10 makes absolutely no sense.
    They're seeking to increase their number of lacrosse conference championships.

vCash

How is it that adding MD and Rutgers adds the NYC and DC markets if nobody in either of those towns cares about either of those teams?
    i think it has to do with cable substription rates in Big-10 states versus outside Big-10's footprint. think they get ten cents per household or so outside ... but 40 cents inside the footprint from the cable companies. That isn;t determined on actual viewers ... just potnetial viewers. So adding the state of Maryland and NY/NJ gives them an additional 30 cents per cable customer in those states. Think that's whats at play here.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Those damn Europeans might be onto something with their footballs.

PREMIERE LEAGUE: At the top of the English football league system, it is the country's primary football competition. Contested by 20 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with the Football League.

Those that are below that threshold are "relegated" to lower leagues.

Therefore, the top programs always play eachother (OU, some SEC, some B1G, some Pac-12 and maybe someone from the ACC) and those that suck for too long (think Miami of now compared with Miami 2001, or USC now compared with USC before Carroll left) are relegated to lower leagues.

There is no salary cap, so big money donors can still stick their meddling paws in all of the decisions.

vCash

I have to confess I'm LOLing pretty hard at Mizzou right now for bolting to the SEC last year. You have to think they would have been offered before Maryland. We should send them a box of tissues.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    I don't get this business about adding TV markets, especially in this day and age when I can watch any football game anywhere from my house. How is it that adding MD and Rutgers adds the NYC and DC markets if nobody in either of those towns cares about either of those teams? Seems to me that adding Duke would give you a bigger share of NYC and NJ since about their entire student body and alumni base is from that area.

Rutgers going to the B10 I can understand, but it's such a stupid move by MD. They're going to be a bigger fish out of water in the B10 than Nebraska is. Cherish your newfound rivalry with Rutgers, Maryland. I'm sure that one is really going to be better than what you had in the ACC.
    Simply put, and the MD brass pretty much confirmed it, this move is about money. the Maryland Athletic Program is in the red in a not very good way. It's more a case of the guaranteed money from the Big Ten is more stable than any potential deals the ACC planned on making. Another potential reason is the fact that the ACC shares of whatever pool the ACC was going to have from their deals was being thrown away by the fact that the ACC was letting Notre Dame pick it's cake, have it's cake, and eat it's cake without having to fully contribute financially to the conference.