Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

The Real Problem With This Country? Look In The Mirror

This quote was translated into English from an article appearing in the Czech Republic as published in the Prager Zeitung of 28 April 2011.

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting an inexperienced man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America . Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of Idiots such as those who made him their president."

That sums it up perfectly.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The Real Problem With This Country? Look In The Mirror

Yeah, okay, but the Czechs took their hard won freedom from the Soviets and placed it in the hands of.....a man who'd made his living as a poet and playwright. Vaclav Havel. I love the guy, but his resume hardly screams 'World Leader'.

Does the Prager Zeitung perhaps have its own political agenda?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Yeah, okay, but the Czechs took their hard won freedom from the Soviets and placed it in the hands of.....a man who'd made his living as a poet and playwright. Vaclav Havel. I love the guy, but his resume hardly screams 'World Leader'.

2 wrongs make a right? We all see what kind of shape Europe is in.

And are you really telling us you believe that Obama had the experience and background to hold the most powerful office in the world? Please go on, pray tell.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 10/25/2012 at 09:52 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The opinion of a guy that has perhaps lived through a similar experience gives the piece more weight.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

I have a different mirror.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cleller View Post
    I have a different mirror.
    I'm talking in more general terms. We are all stuck in the same boat and whatever "we" the passengers collectively decide we all suffer the same consequences. I think the original quote was spot on. We need to quit blaming politicians and the government for our problems. We're the ones who put them into office.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

That's democracy for you.

In a local school board race, our newspaper had their endorsement between the two candidates for one seat. The candidates are so bad, it recommended, "flip a coin and hope it lands on its edge."

The best hope is to have at least two strong parties, so you'll have one that can offer a good candidates as an alternative.

That's the biggest problem with the pub party. They are struggling to unseat Jimmy Carter II! I suspect Romney is going to pull this out by the skin of his teeth.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

vCash

Fanin and Big,
    My post was not meant to support Obama whose economic thinking is fatally flawed and whose foreign policy experience or lack thereof is only partially patched over by having a vicious Stalinist as his SecState. It was to poke fun at a stentorian editorial lambasting the American public for a folly far, far outweighed by a similar folly on the part of the Czech polity.
    And to suggest that perhaps the Prager Zeitung might not be a top flight news org (they may be, I don't know, but every country has tabloids or papers owned by Moonies.)

vCash

the danger in America is having to choose between the giant d0uche and the turd sandwich

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    the danger in America is having to choose between the giant d0uche and the turd sandwich
    I said it on another thread, I am liking Romney's lies more than Obama's lies.

vCash

Fanin and Big,
    My post was not meant to support Obama whose economic thinking is fatally flawed and whose foreign policy experience or lack thereof is only partially patched over by having a vicious Stalinist as his SecState. It was to poke fun at a stentorian editorial lambasting the American public for a folly far, far outweighed by a similar folly on the part of the Czech polity.
    And to suggest that perhaps the Prager Zeitung might not be a top flight news org (they may be, I don't know, but every country has tabloids or papers owned by Moonies.)
    Thank you for the clarification. We'll let you back inside the clubhouse.

lol

vCash

access to the punch and cookies, too?

Seems that Havel was very active as a dissident during the Soviet occupation, resulting in his being imprisoned several times. Apparently a key figure in the anti-Soviet movement there.

If Lech Walesa or Nelson Mandela had churned out a couple of dramas, would that also disqualify them as leaders?

(you still get punch and cookies)
    None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    But that is our fault. We don't demand any better. We have too many voters who don't care to take the time to learn the issues and make a decision that will be the best for all. We have too many who are going to vote selfishly for those who promise them the most.

I know it is a pie-in-the-sky notion for the electorate to put forth more effort and thought into the process and to be less selfish but it doesn't change the fact that our political leaders reflect the majority of those who vote.

I guess therein lies both the strength and weakness of democracy.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 10/25/2012 at 11:53 AM.

vCash

To see a perfect example of the type of short-sighted, selfish society we have evolved into, one need look no further than the so called fiscal cliff saga. Special interests from all political sides are already screaming for Congress to not allow this modest cut in benefits and modest increase in taxes to take effect. Instead they are clamoring for the politicians to break the deal and kick the can down the road instead of taking responsibility for the debt WE ran up. They are only too glad to make future generations who had no say in how the money was spent deal with the consequences.

This type of attitude is immoral and a country cannot survive for long with such a weak and selfish citizenry calling the shots.

vCash

What uproar would there be if there was a simple test for every citizen to take before they get a voter registration card?

I am SURE which party would have the loudest objections to such a plan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TitoMorelli View Post
    Seems that Havel was very active as a dissident during the Soviet occupation, resulting in his being imprisoned several times. Apparently a key figure in the anti-Soviet movement there.

If Lech Walesa or Nelson Mandela had churned out a couple of dramas, would that also disqualify them as leaders?

(you still get punch and cookies)
    No, it wouldn't have, but Havel was 'a figure' not a manager or leader of the movement. he gave a voice, but did not keep the choochoo on the tracks. Walesa at least had union organizing to his credit, and yet he was pretty much of a disaster as a national leader. Mandela, of the three, was the only one who actually led his country with any measure of noteworthy success. (His ability to get through the transition from apartheid to majority rule without massive bloodshed and total economic collapse puts him at the very forefront of 20th century leaders. Right up there with Churchill's rallying of the Brits during the Blitz. And this from a man who had every reason to give in to personal wrath. But I digress.)

But, to the original point: Our electoral process discourages production of fine national leaders...but so far, I've found no one else's system that I'd go rushing off to replace it with.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    This quote was translated into English from an article appearing in the Czech Republic as published in the Prager Zeitung of 28 April 2011.

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting an inexperienced man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America . Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of Idiots such as those who made him their president."

That sums it up perfectly.
    Pretty much a re-write of the 47% Speech Romney did.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    What uproar would there be if there was a simple test for every citizen to take before they get a voter registration card?

I am SURE which party would have the loudest objections to such a plan.
    hell they are already bitch#n about PHOTO ID needed...can't imagine a test...lol
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

[QUOTE=FaninAma;3535599 We're the ones who put them into office.[/QUOTE]

I didn't vote for that clown... ;-)
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!