Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: The Photos Of The Dead Ambassador Were Gruesome

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerProphet View Post
    seems to be reports of an al qaeda group operating in libya.
    Fighting these terrorist organizations is like playing whacka mole. You kill one two more pop up. I have a feeling we will be dealing with this for a few decades.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    I just got back to the States. How do we lose the ambassador for several hours? Where the **** were the Marines? And why have we not sent bombing missions over there to carpet bomb those ragheads?
    The Obama administration apparently decided that Marines were not needed in Libya, even though the same exact place had been hit with an IED in June.... No really.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Don't think consulates are the same as embassies, as such they are usually not armed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthCarolinaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Don't think consulates are the same as embassies, as such they are usually not armed.
    Obama probably changed that policy, I think under Bush all consulates were fortresses? Can't recall though

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

I am not an Obama fan at all but on this issue I don't place any blame on him. In fact I agree with those who feel he was dealt a horrible hand in terms of foreign policy.

The foreign policy situation he inherited was worse and more difficult to correct than the economy although the President has been too timid in acting on either.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/12/2012 at 08:42 PM.

vCash

Incorrect.

You can follow this link and see many countries where there are Marines at the embassy and in separate consulates. For example:

Detachments Within Brazil
    AMEMB Brasilia
    AMCONGEN Rio de Janeiro
    AMCONGEN Sao Paulo

MSG Detachments Within China

American Embassy Beijing
    AmConGen Chengdu
    AmConGen Guangzhou
    AmConGen Hong Kong
    AmConGen Shanghai
    AmConGen Shenyang

http://www.msg-history.com/detachments.html

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    I am not an Obama fan at all but on this issue I don't place any blame on him. In fact I agree with those who feel he was dealt a horrible hand in terms of foreign policy. In fact, I think the foreign policy situation he inherited was worse and more difficult to correct than the economy.
    Libya is of Obama's own making.. The consulate in question didn't exist just a couple of years ago and had been attacked in the past. Security was obviously inadequate. This squarely falls on the State Department and the Obama administration.

vCash

vCash

I find it odd that Netanyahu spent yesterday 9-11-2012 pushing The President on Iran and now that film seems to have no real person and seems to not even be a film and now guys like Rudy Giuliani are on the news telling talking heads that our President is being to lax on Iran and trying to help Romney out of his ill timed Statements.

It seems to me that there is a possibility that just like the Muslims were baited into a reaction over something that seems now to have been manufactured......that some who don't like the President's position on Iran are also manufacturing an event prior to the election.

I smell a turd and it kind of smells like a kosher oven mitt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sappstuf View Post
    Libya is of Obama's own making.. The consulate in question didn't exist just a couple of years ago and had been attacked in the past. Security was obviously inadequate. This squarely falls on the State Department and the Obama administration.
    Point taken but I wonder if the ambassador had any input on security at the embassy and felt comfortable without lots of military personnel. Perhaps he was trying to foster an environment of trust and openess. In retrospect it was an error in judgement by somebody.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sappstuf View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post....this incident might change some protocol regarding safety in our embassies and consulates. Some of the folks who knew Ambassador Stephens say he was a guy that liked to travel the streets when in Libya. Given 9-11-2012 and now the intentional attempt to infuriate followers of the Muslim Religion....it surely seems possible that Ambassador Stephens possibly made a mistake leaving the Embassy and moving to the Consulate in Benghazi.

He was fluent in Arabic and a very experienced and qualified person for the position and surely knew the risks that he faced within Libya.

It surely seems that it would be possible that he was the kind of guy that felt extra Security made him more of a target than a friend of the Libyan People?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    I find it odd that Netanyahu spent yesterday 9-11-2012 pushing The President on Iran and now that film seems to have no real person and seems to not even be a film and now guys like Rudy Giuliani are on the news telling talking heads that our President is being to lax on Iran and trying to help Romney out of his ill timed Statements.

It seems to me that there is a possibility that just like the Muslims were baited into a reaction over something that seems now to have been manufactured......that some who don't like the President's position on Iran are also manufacturing an event prior to the election.

I smell a turd and it kind of smells like a kosher oven mitt.

Hopefully this bridge will be crossed after the election and Obama will be less apt to buckle under the pressure of the interventionists.

Unless China and Russia are on board it won't happen, either.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diverdog View Post
    Out of curiosity what do you do for a living?
    Good observations Fanin!
    Was good for Diver to reverse course.

I expect the WH to "officially accept some benign excuse for the death, inluding the one about "trying to get him to the hospital"!
    Last edited by soonercruiser; 9/12/2012 at 09:09 PM.
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post....this incident might change some protocol regarding safety in our embassies and consulates. Some of the folks who knew Ambassador Stephens say he was a guy that liked to travel the streets when in Libya. Given 9-11-2012 and now the intentional attempt to infuriate followers of the Muslim Religion....it surely seems possible that Ambassador Stephens possibly made a mistake leaving the Embassy and moving to the Consulate in Benghazi.

He was fluent in Arabic and a very experienced and qualified person for the position and surely knew the risks that he faced within Libya.

It surely seems that it would be possible that he was the kind of guy that felt extra Security made him more of a target than a friend of the Libyan People?
    I doubt the protocols need changing.. Just need to be followed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan View Post
    re: the marines - the Ambassador was not at the embassy - and i would venture a guess that he's traveled all over that country without an armed Marine squad...from what i've read he was very well liked by the Libyan people and this was not an attack by any faction of the Libyan people/government
    Alphabet!
    I believe that the facility was only a Consulate, which in many countries is merely a fancy house, maybe with some body guards.
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

vCash

very bad day......this is also pretty rare.....regardless I feel for those families being notified or those that will be notified shortly.

The world is a changing place

-increased information flow - both misleading and controlled...or both
    -changing governments and gaps in intervention or capability that had previously been provided
    -changing demographics
    -unstable currencies
    -rising prices on food in most of the world

Not a good time to be Merikan in certain places. All that frustration focused on one boogy man.
    "They replace the priest by a king, the king by an oligarchy, the oligarchy by a despot, the despot by an aristocracy, the aristocrats by a majority, the majority by a tyrant, the tyrant by oligarchs, the oligarchs by aristocrats, the aristocrats by a king, the king by a parliament, the parliament by a dictator, the dictator by a king…six thousands years of it in every language"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
    Good observations Fanin!
    Was good for Diver to reverse course.

I expect the WH to "officially accept some benign excuse for the death, inluding the one about "trying to get him to the hospital"!
    What did I reverse course on?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diverdog View Post
    What did I reverse course on?
    Whatever he thinks you reversed course on.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I expect a forceful, lethal, and quick response from the armed forces of these United States.
    This cannot be tolerated.