Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Enduring a toothache

Why did I procrastinate when it began hurting a few days ago? Why did I not go to the dentist right away? At least I have some lortab left over from my kidney stone episode last yr...

Got some clove oil to dab on the offending tooth as well.

Any other home remedies?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Enduring a toothache

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    Why did I procrastinate when it began hurting a few days ago? Why did I not go to the dentist right away? At least I have some lortab left over from my kidney stone episode last yr...

Any other home remedies?
    Stay away from hot and cold beverages.

Avoid grinding your the tooth.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Dab a little cocaine in it.
    posse member

Administrator
    vCash

Toothaches and earaches. Nothing worse. Not even Chinese water torture. Had them all, and a serious toothache trumps them all.

vCash

Ive been very fortunate, Only ever had one in my life , kept a dab of Orajel on it. went to the dentist had it fixed and went on.
    Good luck
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Ive been very fortunate, Only ever had one in my life , kept a dab of Orajel on it. went to the dentist had it fixed and went on.
    Good luck
    If I remember right you don't drink soda, correct? Coincidence?

I need to break my soft drink addiction...

vCash
    I've heard you can take a room temp or lukewarm tea bag n bite down on it where the tooth hurts. Supposedly the tannins, or whatever they're called, help to ease the pain.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    If I remember right you don't drink soda, correct? Coincidence?

I need to break my soft drink addiction...
    I didnt ever drink em much as a Kid, I did however drink more milk than 2 cows could produce in day
    Still drink a lot fer an Old dude

I got my 1st filling at age 32. Dont know if it was the Milk or the fluoride in the water where I grew up or both .
    at 62 still have most of my own, I didnt have my wisdoms pulled when I was young so I lost those and the ones right next to em
    lost 2 more since

So yes I think the Lack of soda pop and the Drinkin a lot of milk and Fluoride helped me keep some strong teeth
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

The dentist is your friend. Damn the insurance companies! This is why people should have their teeth cleaned every 6 months instead of once a year. The hygienist can see things like this coming and head it off at the pass. Now, you're probably looking at a root canal instead of a filling. Because if you are in pain, that means the decay has reached the pulp and nerve area. Hopefully, you may be able to get by with some desensitizer and a deep filling.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Trying going to the google images page, enter "body paint art" and see if that helps.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
    The dentist is your friend. Damn the insurance companies! This is why people should have their teeth cleaned every 6 months instead of once a year. The hygienist can see things like this coming and head it off at the pass. Now, you're probably looking at a root canal instead of a filling. Because if you are in pain, that means the decay has reached the pulp and nerve area. Hopefully, you may be able to get by with some desensitizer and a deep filling.
    This. My insurance company pays for 2 checkups/cleanings a year. Only one x-ray per year though. We all go every 6 months and other than replacing some old fillings and getting a couple of teeth crowned (my teeth have a tendency to break) there's been no new decay on any of us in several years. Staying on top of it is damn well worth it.

vCash

I paid for dental insurance for about 10 years and only used it twice to replace a filling that came out and later a crown on the same tooth. Stupid. I was scared to hear bad news so I just avoided the issue.

The best thing that ever happened to me was a toothache (same tooth) which forced me to go back to the dentist and ultimately have a root canal. At that point I decided that I had faced the bad news and got back on a regular schedule.

The endodontist gave me some vicodin between treatments. I didn't need it at first and then I had a party at my place. The next day the toothache came on and I went to get the bottle and it was empty. Some a-hole stole my vicodin. I was not a happy camper that night.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BetterSoonerThanLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post

Any other home remedies?
    50lbs test fishin' line...trailer hitch....someone to drive the truck...
    this is bull****

vCash

I'll be darned if I didn't come down with my own toothache yesterday and it's causing me pain in the ear and throat. Darnit.

The good news is that I have a regularly scheduled appointment on Thursday.

The bad news is it's the same darn tooth I had the crown and two root canals on. One was just a few months ago. I'm guessing I might lose that tooth - especially considering that the pain is there despite the nerves being removed.

The endodontist told me that the crown doesn't fit properly. Should have had that fixed but she said she tried to close it up...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

I had a tooth crack a few years ago and let it go until it hurt. My appointment was a few days away and when we ran out of Lortab I literally went to my neighbors and did shots of his vodka and rum. Oy.

I'll be darned if I didn't come down with my own toothache yesterday and it's causing me pain in the ear and throat. Darnit.

The good news is that I have a regularly scheduled appointment on Thursday.

The bad news is it's the same darn tooth I had the crown and two root canals on. One was just a few months ago. I'm guessing I might lose that tooth - especially considering that the pain is there despite the nerves being removed.

The endodontist told me that the crown doesn't fit properly. Should have had that fixed but she said she tried to close it up...
    You could have a hairline fracture and may need an implant.

ouwasp, how did you're appointment go?

vCash

My dentist had to take 5 x-rays to get the look he wanted... he remains unsure. Said it sounds like a root canal in the making, but prescribed me a Z-Pac antbiotic to see how it responds. I was skeptical. This was Monday.

Late Tuesday and my tooth feels 80% better. I haven't had a pain pill of any kind in over 24 hours. Still not willing to eat a corn chip, but I'm feeling a great deal better. I have my 6 month cleaning scheduled in a couple weeks, we'll see how things go.

vCash

You could have a hairline fracture and may need an implant
    Interesting. We'll see.

The good news is that I'm swearing off diet sodas. I've tried cutting back over the years but in time I always go back to drinking several a day. I think I need to use the alcoholics playbook and just cut it out. It would be easier if I liked coffee...

vCash

That sucks

Interesting. We'll see.

The good news is that I'm swearing off diet sodas. I've tried cutting back over the years but in time I always go back to drinking several a day. I think I need to use the alcoholics playbook and just cut it out. It would be easier if I liked coffee...
    Its okay to have a soda here and there, just don't sip on it for a long time and have your toothbrush handy. I travel to the city a lot and hate brushing in public bathrooms with all the germs, so I keep one in my car in a ziploc with a small tube of toothpaste and a gallon of water with a few toss away cups. The lawns of banks and churches that are closed are a good place to brush. Lots of grass.

Be careful though at night. I was attacked by an army of spitting horny toads in the back of a Chamber of Commerce in Watonga.
    Last edited by MamaMia; 8/29/2012 at 09:22 AM.