Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Bell named the backup......

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Re: Bell named the backup......

Nothing showing at the link. What did you see?

vCash

is that a surprise?
    Who else gave him competition?

How has he looked in Spring Games? Does he have game other than the whole Bell Dozer thing?

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

"Blake Bell the no 2 QB per Stoops"
    -------
    Lurking since 2004

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerinSouthlake View Post
    is that a surprise?
    Who else gave him competition?

How has he looked in Spring Games? Does he have game other than the whole Bell Dozer thing?
    Drew Allen was/is his competition. Bell was supposed to be a very strong thrower coming out of high school (I say supposed to be, because I haven't watched any of his high school stuff, and we really haven't seen him throw much). I suspect he'll be our starter next year, although Kendal Thompson and Trevor Knight are going to be in the mix.

vCash

Man, that's weird. None of that stuff was there when I looked before. I was hitting shift-reload and everything. Oh, well.

So, sounds like Stoops is saying we've pretty much seen the end of the Belldozer, at least as a regular play. Not sure how I feel about that.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Man, that's weird. None of that stuff was there when I looked before. I was hitting shift-reload and everything. Oh, well.

So, sounds like Stoops is saying we've pretty much seen the end of the Belldozer, at least as a regular play. Not sure how I feel about that.
    I don't think this is true. Soonersports.com has a video of Bobby talking to the media, and this very thing was addressed. He confirmed wrinkles to the Belldozer package as well as a passing option. We'll see Belldozer some more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerOX View Post
    I don't think this is true. Soonersports.com has a video of Bobby talking to the media, and this very thing was addressed. He confirmed wrinkles to the Belldozer package as well as a passing option. We'll see Belldozer some more.
    I was responding to this line:

Stoops said that if Bell had to come in for Landry Jones, the Sooners would still “sneak” some runs in there, but that OU wouldn’t be running the “Belldozer” full time.
    I think you're right. I read initially thinking with Bell backing they wouldn't, but now as I re-read it, I think it means if Jones goes down and Bell is the main QB, it wouldn't be the 'Dozer very often.

Good deal. I think the 'Dozer is a nice package, particularly if Bell starts passing the ball well. Stack the line, get burned deep on a short pass; don't stack the line, give up about 10 yrds a pop. I could live with that!

Administrator
    vCash

I was responding to this line:

I think you're right. I read initially thinking with Bell backing they wouldn't, but now as I re-read it, I think it means if Jones goes down and Bell is the main QB, it wouldn't be the 'Dozer very often.

Good deal. I think the 'Dozer is a nice package, particularly if Bell starts passing the ball well. Stack the line, get burned deep on a short pass; don't stack the line, give up about 10 yrds a pop. I could live with that!
    In his post-practice interview, he was asked about the Belldozer, and his eyes kind of lit up. He said they've added a lot of wrinkles and more passing options. He said he told Colin Klein (at media days) that he stole the play from KSU. He said "hey, I've got one of those (in reference to Klein), and he's bigger".

vCash

Goal line baby!!

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 85sooners View Post
    Goal line baby!!
    For those worried about not using the heavy formation (because that's what it is called long before Blake Bell came around), I offer you a Stoops quote:

"I'm sure we can find someone to go 0-for-2 with an interception in the Belldozer if we want to continue to run it when Blake is actually playing quarterback."

Don't worry about the ole 'dozer. It can just as easily be the DurronNealDozer or the MillardDozer so long as the blocking scheme is the same. Bell did good running behind it last year; but let's not pretend like running backs, receivers or even another QB can't take a direct snap and run behind a lead blocker.
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

vCash

i can haz 3 or forth string OU qb?
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

vCash

Call for Bell to replace Jones as starter in 3.... 2.... 1....

"How did you find me?"

"I'm the man."

Thrill as Bob Stoops turns the knobs and adjusts the dials of his latest killing machine...

-Dr. Saturday

vCash

All this and in my humble opinion, Allen throws the best ball...There must have been great progress in some areas by Bell and the others. I'm hearing great things about Thompson & Knight as well...

Boomer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by goingoneight View Post
    Bell did good running behind it last year; but let's not pretend like running backs, receivers or even another QB can't take a direct snap and run behind a lead blocker.
    Actually, they apparently can't or they would have used them instead.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboy_odanorth View Post
    Call for Bell to replace Jones as starter in 3.... 2.... 1....
    Only after Jones has his first incomplete pass of the season!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    All this and in my humble opinion, Allen throws the best ball...There must have been great progress in some areas by Bell and the others. I'm hearing great things about Thompson & Knight as well...

Boomer
    Drew was the better passer, but Bell has been coming on strong this year. That coupled with the fact that he does see the field occasionally made the decision easier. Wonder if Drew will stick around?

vCash

Drew Allen, Kendall Thompson and Trevor Knight all should be reminded of a few things:

Jason White was Josh Heupel's backup.
    Nate Hybl/JW injury situation version 1.0
    Nate Hybl/JW injury situation 2.0... introducing Paul Thompson.
    Paul Thompson was the #2 QB in 2003
    Tommy Grady was the #2 QB in 2004.
    Bomar/Thompson 2005.
    Bomar 2006
    Joey Halzle was PT's backup in 2006... skinny, unheard of OKC freshman Sam Bradford would win the Heisman two years later.
    Landry Jones... the "long-term" projected backup for Sam... in just before halftime of the first game as a freshman.

If anything is certain in Norman, it is that backup QB will always be an uncertainty.

vCash

I have to think Allen must be mulling over his possibilities. Thompson and especially Knight are way too early in the process to be worried about the situation.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I have to think Allen must be mulling over his possibilities. Thompson and especially Knight are way too early in the process to be worried about the situation.
    What possibilites would those be? He's a Junior that has already burned his redshirt. I'm not sure when the deadline would be for him to transfer and sit out this year, but in best case scenario he will only have 1 full year of eligibility. Considering the season starts next week, I'm guessing it is probably too late to transfer and sit out this season...