Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Bloomberg: The immigration debate

Bloomberg seeks to ignite election debate on immigration, says newcomers to US key to economy

08-14-2012 10:20 AM CDT

CHICAGO (Associated Press) --
    New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg wants to ignite debate over immigration among the presidential contenders.

Bloomberg joined former White House Chief of Staff William Daley on Tuesday in addressing business leaders in Chicago, telling them that immigrants and the jobs and businesses they create are essential to America's economic recovery.

Bloomberg says he knows of no other way to help the economy "as quickly and cost free" as opening the borders to those who would start up new businesses that create new jobs.

Bloomberg and Daley lamented that neither presidential campaign has spelled out proposals on immigration policy.

They also presented a report released Tuesday by a partnership of U.S. mayors and business leaders showing that immigrants started one out of four new businesses last year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Bloomberg: The immigration debate

I may be wrong on this, but I really don't think there's much debate that:

A) Some level of immigration is healthy

and,

B) Our current system is horribly broken and needs to fixed so as to give prompt replies to those who are trying to follow the rules.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post

and,

B) Our current system is horribly broken and needs to fixed so as to give prompt replies to those who are trying to follow the rules.
    Nor is there much debate that:

A) Bloomberg is an over-zealous manipulative horse's arse

and,

B) He needs to STFU.
    None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me.

vCash

and,

What seems broken is that we have allowed so many illegals to be here.

We have 5-600,000 legal immigrants per year. Do we need more than that? These legal immigrants have followed the rules and are usually educated and/or provide skilled labor while having the ability to speak english. They are also much more cultural diverse than our illegal immigrants.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TitoMorelli View Post
    Nor is there much debate that:

A) Bloomberg is an over-zealous manipulative horse's arse

and,

B) He needs to STFU.
    He's for open societies as long as they don't provide 32 oz soft drinks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    What seems broken is that we have allowed so many illegals to be here.

We have 5-600,000 legal immigrants per year. Do we need more than that? These legal immigrants have followed the rules and are usually educated and/or provide skilled labor while having the ability to speak english. They are also much more cultural diverse than our illegal immigrants.
    Not debating that. That it takes INS upwards of ten years in many (most?) cases to issue a response is just flat out wrong, though. We ought to give people an answer within, at most, six months. And we should have a guest worker program if there really are jobs that citizens don't want to do. (row crop harvesting, anyone?)
    It isn't hard; any reasonably bright high school students could have set up a program decades ago. We've got an unholy pairing of utterly corrupt agri-business concerns on the one hand and crooked leftwing pols on the other.

vCash

Not debating that. That it takes INS upwards of ten years in many (most?) cases to issue a response is just flat out wrong, though. We ought to give people an answer within, at most, six months. And we should have a guest worker program if there really are jobs that citizens don't want to do. (row crop harvesting, anyone?)
    It isn't hard; any reasonably bright high school students could have set up a program decades ago. We've got an unholy pairing of utterly corrupt agri-business concerns on the one hand and crooked leftwing pols on the other.
    I certainly have no problem with improving the efficiency of our processing legal immigrants.

Bloomberg cites 76% of our patents coming from immigrants representing 88 different countries....so I'm not sure he is talking about our 12,000,000 illegals from south of the border when he is wanting to open up immigration. He may be, but those 88 countries aren't south of the border.

Now if the US wanted to focus on the highly educated or super skilled immigrants I might support that if it wasn't displacing our own engineers, tech people, etc...

vCash

the 12 million illegals are overwhelmingly from Mexico. Why? It's a relatively poor country and it's close AND there are a lot of American business people who want to hire poor people with zero enforceable rights AND there are other American politicians who want to turn this group into voters who, they feel, will support their little classist/racist agendas.

I have very little complaint with the Mexican illegals. If I were a poor and desperate mexican, I'd probably swin the river, too.

I have a lot to bitch about with the business and political scumbags who've blocked any rational reform for most of my life.

vCash

the 12 million illegals are overwhelmingly from Mexico. Why? It's a relatively poor country and it's close AND there are a lot of American business people who want to hire poor people with zero enforceable rights AND there are other American politicians who want to turn this group into voters who, they feel, will support their little classist/racist agendas.

I have very little complaint with the Mexican illegals. If I were a poor and desperate mexican, I'd probably swin the river, too.

I have a lot to bitch about with the business and political scumbags who've blocked any rational reform for most of my life.
    I have a bitch about illegals when I see them demanding their rights.

I would probably do the same as them if I was a poor Mexican/hispanic but it wouldn't make it right.

I have a big bitch about employers hiring them, too, and a president that sought to overturn an AZ law that would have punished these employers. (luckily the SC upheld the law).

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Bloomberg is a POS, he is meaningless.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

and,

This, I can't for the life of me figure out how people with a beef with the broken system of immigration and stopping illegal immigration has become people against all forms of immigration and against legal immigrants by the LSM and the "Progressives". Mind boggling.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

How can anyone have a reasonable plan with O'Bummer's hand picked lesbo (NTTAWWT) head of Homeland Security while she busy pandering to her "tennis partner" and insulting and humiliating career ICE male careers...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

We have to put U.S. Citizens first at all costs. This country is not a charity. When Lincoln said the government was "for the people," I don't think that was untrue. It's not racist OR classist to insist that citizens and non-citizens be treated differently. It's not xenophobic either, it's pragmatic.

Both sides of the aisle want illegals for various reasons. For Democrats, they see another minority they can claim ownership of and then ignore. For Republicans, illegals are like their crack. The rich and powerful overseers of the party use it over and over, but know at the end of the day, it's going to kill them, but they still keep coming back for more.

So we have gridlock until...well...I don't know. It's going to be a long time before anyone talks about real immigration reform when we have a presidential ballot offering a choice between Romney and Obama.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    We have to put U.S. Citizens first at all costs. This country is not a charity. When Lincoln said the government was "for the people," I don't think that was untrue. It's not racist OR classist to insist that citizens and non-citizens be treated differently. It's not xenophobic either, it's pragmatic.

Both sides of the aisle want illegals for various reasons. For Democrats, they see another minority they can claim ownership of and then ignore. For Republicans, illegals are like their crack. The rich and powerful overseers of the party use it over and over, but know at the end of the day, it's going to kill them, but they still keep coming back for more.

So we have gridlock until...well...I don't know. It's going to be a long time before anyone talks about real immigration reform when we have a presidential ballot offering a choice between Romney and Obama.
    Sums things up nicely....

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I wish Mexico was more stable. Then, we'd just have a relationship with them like we do Canada. Or at least, the immigrants from central and South America might be tempted to just stop there instead of continuing north to Texas.

Mexico has tons of things that would make you think it would succeed --- it has hard working people, it has tons of shoreline and good temperatures for tourism, it's located right next to the greatest country in the world, it just won the Olympic gold medal for soccer.... come on, Mexico. Hold up your end of the Rio Grande, please.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I wish Mexico was more stable. Then, we'd just have a relationship with them like we do Canada. Or at least, the immigrants from central and South America might be tempted to just stop there instead of continuing north to Texas.

Mexico has tons of things that would make you think it would succeed --- it has hard working people, it has tons of shoreline and good temperatures for tourism, it's located right next to the greatest country in the world, it just won the Olympic gold medal for soccer.... come on, Mexico. Hold up your end of the Rio Grande, please.
    Just a dose of realism here, Mexico is also the most violent, corrupt
    country in the Americas, the drug cartels run more of the country than
    the elected government does.

vCash

I have a bitch about illegals when I see them demanding their rights.

I would probably do the same as them if I was a poor Mexican/hispanic but it wouldn't make it right.

I have a big bitch about employers hiring them, too, and a president that sought to overturn an AZ law that would have punished these employers. (luckily the SC upheld the law).
    Looks like you and I are on the same page on this one.

Illegal immigrants should not get ANY government benefits, I know they don't get much, but what little they get should be cut off.

No more free medical care, shifting the cost to those of us who have insurance.

Illegal immigrants drive wages down for a lot more workers than those who are competing for jobs with them.

If I was the president, I wouldn't build a single fence. I'd have just enough boarder guards to alert our military if Mexico invades us, then I would fine each company $100,000 for each illegal worker they have - even if they don't know if they are illegal. If the company is driven out of business because of the fines - so be it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ictsooner7 View Post

Illegal immigrants should not get ANY government benefits, I know they don't get much, but what little they get should be cut off.

Illegal immigrants drive wages down for a lot more workers than those who are competing for jobs with them.

If I was the president, I wouldn't build a single fence. I'd have just enough boarder guards to alert our military if Mexico invades us, then I would fine each company $100,000 for each illegal worker they have - even if they don't know if they are illegal. If the company is driven out of business because of the fines - so be it.
    We pretty much agree. On the employers I'd want a standard established for verification...whether that's everify or something even better. I'd also mandate communication between state agencies and institutions like hospitals and schools to notify ICE should an illegal be discovered.

Wages would most definitely rise in the lower income areas with the reduction/removal of illegals.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ictsooner7 View Post

Good post...

vCash

We pretty much agree. On the employers I'd want a standard established for verification...whether that's everify or something even better. I'd also mandate communication between state agencies and institutions like hospitals and schools to notify ICE should an illegal be discovered.

Wages would most definitely rise in the lower income areas with the reduction/removal of illegals.
    We would have to do the standard ID, the schools just not let them go to class, hospitals - stablize them then send a bill to the county they come from then ship them home.

Wages would go up for a lot more than just folks at the low income ranges because there would be less workers for up the income ladder so they would have to pay more for better employees.

Oh - i forgot about stopping drug smuggling............of course legalizing pot would bring a halt to most of that.