Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Agro film about Iran Hostage Crisis

While at the movies to see "Seeking Friend for the End of the World," they previewed Argo, a film about the rescue of 6 Americans during the Iranian Hostage crisis. It looks promising....

Last edited by SanJoaquinSooner; 2/25/2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: I updated the trailor
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Agro film about Iran Hostage Crisis

I got my hopes a little high before watching the trailer. I think a movie about the incident could be great if it was handled like the History Channel did the Hatfields and McCoys.

From the trailer, and the people involved it looks like a serio-comic take on the matter, focused on summer entertainment for masses. But, that's Hollywood.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerAtKU's Avatar
    vCash

Ben Affleck has helped make some really good movies. The Town, Gone Baby Gone, Good Will Hunting. I'll see it on past performance.

vCash

why y'all wasting your time talking about Atlus shrubs? it's goin' be ****ty.

Argo is coming and received great reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/argo/critic-reviews

vCash

Well if you didn't see Argo, now that it's won the Best Picture Oscar, maybe you should. It's about this half-Mexican CIA guy who rescues Americans in Iran during the takeover of the U.S. Embassy.

vCash

Is this the story of Old Ross Perot breaking all kinds of U.S. and International Laws to get JUST his people out of there?
    Havn't kept up, But read the story years ago,
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash
    Good movie!!
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Never saw it. Did they get the hostages out?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Is this the story of Old Ross Perot breaking all kinds of U.S. and International Laws to get JUST his people out of there?
    Havn't kept up, But read the story years ago,
    No, This was a CIA op that got 6 embassy employees out of Iran after they escaped the embassy during the takeover. According to the storyline they sought refuge with the Brits and Kiwis(New Zealand) emnbassies before being taken in by the Canadian Ambassador.I think it is an exellent movie.Only two things about it bothered me,fist recreation of the American flag- burning desecration by the mobs. Secondly the clip at the end where no-balls Carter took credit for peacefully resolving the hostage crisis.The fact that Carter's spineless leadership lead to the crisis apparently escaped Mr. Peanut.

The movie overall was good BUT for me,stirred up some bad memories .
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

great movie - worth the watch

Administrator
    vCash

I never heard of it till this morning while driving and they were talking about it on the radio. Might give it a watch.

it's really well done - alan arkin and john goodman play good roles - and Affleck is good - the movie is really about the politics of getting those 6 out - and the environment they operated.....a bit suspenseful at times

i think people our age (me, dean, etc) will appreciate it more than the younger crowd because we watched the whole Iran hostage crisis unfold....the younger crowd wont appreciate it as much (just my opinion)

Administrator
    vCash

You really wanna feel old? To my kids, Vietnam is like WWII to me. Gulf 1? Again, ancient history to them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cleller View Post
    Never saw it. Did they get the hostages out?
    Yes, it was one of only two good things that happened during the Malaise adminstration.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Is the sequel to Argo gonna be.....

.....wait for it..........

POLO?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    Only two things about it bothered me,fist recreation of the American flag- burning desecration by the mobs.
    I put that in the same category of the use of the N word in Django Unchained. If you're going to make a movie about an historical time period you shouldn't have to apologize for showing the good and the bad.

vCash

The anger of the mob outside the embassy scared me ****less and I knew it was just a movie. I think they did a great job making it realistic.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

I'm still very disappointed over the lack of credit given the Canadians in the movie and that completely made up BS dash to the airport. It overshadows most of the good acting in the film for me. Yes, I know it's a Hollywood adaptation and not a documentary. I should probably just quit watching anything 'based on a true story' because Hollywood feels a need to change too much.

Also, read that Alan Arkin's character didn't even exist and most of the back story on how the movie was chosen and named is also BS.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    I put that in the same category of the use of the N word in Django Unchained. If you're going to make a movie about an historical time period you shouldn't have to apologize for showing the good and the bad.
    I realize it was necessary and I was shocked that watching the depiction of the desecration bothered me that much.It amazes me I had such a visceral reaction to the whole hostage crisis,30+ years later.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    I realize it was necessary and I was shocked that watching the depiction of the desecration bothered me that much.It amazes me I had such a visceral reaction to the whole hostage crisis,30+ years later.
    I get what you're saying. I misunderstood at first. I was about 8 or 9 during this and it was one of the of the first news/political events I really remembered. I remember being horrified by the images of the blindfolded hostages and the burning of the flags.

I just watched it last night. I thought it was good. I was reading that many (including the Canadian ambasador) felt that Canada's role was underplayed.

I think that criticism is mistaken. The ambassador clearly risked his own life. While it wasn't a theme of the movie this should have been clear to anyone. It's just the movie was about the CIA's role. The story behind the ambassador had already been told and there was a movie made about it. The story about the CIA's role in the operation wasn't as well known because it was classified for so many years.

I know Canadians may feel slightened by the "Thank You Canada" part at the end since it might imply that movie is stating that the wrong party took credit. We clearly owed a lot of thanks to Canada but the point was that at the time we thought all of the credit went to Canada which wasn't true.