Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Siblings, Nature, and Nurture

For many years I've had the nature vs nurture debate with family and friends. I've always maintained that one's personality, etc, is something like 75% nature, and 25 nurture. Lots of disagreement on the topic.

I wanted to add a twist to it. As we all know sometimes siblings can be very different, or sometimes they can be pretty similar in disposition. My idea is that siblings that resemble each other might be more likely to be similar; siblings that don't resemble each other more likely to be dissimilar.

Here's my case history. I have two older half- brothers, they are 13 and 15 years older. I have one "regular" brother who is 1 year older. Lets call the half brothers #1 and #2, full brother #3, I'm #4. With these two older half-brothers, when brother #3 came along, he was quite a novelty. #1 and #2 were able to talk my parents into letting them raise him in a pen in the backyard. By the time I came along, they had tired of the experiment, and things followed a more traditional path. I don't really resemble brother #3, and our personalities are very different. I do rather resemble #2, and our personalities are similar.

To me, this would support the nature over nurture theory. Do you have siblings that could shed light on this? i.e.: do your have a sibling that looks AND acts different, or a sibling that looks AND acts similar?

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Siblings, Nature, and Nurture

Interesting topic.

I have two (older) siblings (a brother and a sister), and I am very similar to my older sister (the oldest of the group), and just about as different as I can be from my brother. The weird thing is that my sister and I were raised in different households. My folks divorced when I was about 6, and my sister lived/grew up in another state. Yet, we are very much the same. I lived/grew up with my brother, and we are complete opposites.

So, based on my own experience, I'd say nature wins the day.

I'd also be interested to know how birth order affects the outcome. Seems in your case, you are more like sibling #2 even though you are closer in age to #3.

Interesting.

vCash

I got 4 older sisters, I aint nuthin like them bitches
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

I have 3 siblings, all of us have very different personalities. We don't even look much like each other so, who knows, maybe mom was a vixen.
    Last edited by 3rdgensooner; 6/7/2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: clarity is clarity

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

I thought Randolph and Mortimer solved this already.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

I watched that with my 12-year-old son just about a month ago. (I made him cover his eyes when JLC took her top off. Poor kid.) When it was over, he said, "Mom...why were all the really good movies made in the 80s?"

I have done my job as a parent.

Back on topic, my kids look almost identical and act nothing alike.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Nature is at least 75%, but your parents/family can still screw you up with their paltry 25%.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

E. O. Wilson also has written a bit on this topic.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Drunky Town Limnologist Fraggle145's Avatar
    vCash

My brother and I have been mistaken for identical twins. And we are nothing alike personality-wise.

The whole nature vs. nurture thing is kinda not real. Its a combination of evolution and development, which is sort of the same but different. Some stuff becomes hardwired - actually most humans for the most part have the same genes. We just have different forms of them (alleles) or they are differentially expressed during development.
    Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    your puny brain can't understand the awesomeness of God
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

vCash

Looks-wise, you can definitely tell my kids are siblings, but they are pretty different personality-wise. you also have to remember that each child is nurtured differently too. your first child is an only child until the 2nd one is born but the 2nd one is never an only child...and as much as we try not to, we do treat each child differently.

me personally, I'm an only child, so I can't comment
    Whenever a boy comes you should always have something baking.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I think of the nature part as being an innate tendency to be 'X'. After that your physical and social environment determine those tendencies are manifested.

Example: you might have genes to grow to 6'2". If you're malnourished, you don't get there, though.

Likewise, a genetic predisposition to alcoholism might go unrealized in a strict muslim. Or a tendency to be left handed can be overcome in societies that frown on lefties.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle145 View Post
    The whole nature vs. nurture thing is kinda not real. Its a combination of evolution and development, which is sort of the same but different.
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I think of the nature part as being an innate tendency to be 'X'. After that your physical and social environment determine those tendencies are manifested.
    Babies are born with a temperament. If you've ever observed newborns in a hospital nursery, you'd know this. So there is certainly a nature aspect to personality.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I think smoking stunted my growth.

Interesting premise.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I use to say we were products of our environments, until I had two boys, both as different as night and day. Now I am a "it's genetics" guy. I would agree with the 75/25 mix You are predetermined to be a certain way, but with strong enough operant conditioning, it can be modified.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Both environment and genetic main effects, as well as an environment/genetic interaction, affect one's personality. As far as percentages go, I would speculate there's quite a bit of variation from person to person.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Everyone's wrong.

Your personality is dictated by THE STARS.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman View Post
    Everyone's wrong.

Your personality is dictated by THE STARS.
    Hollywood aint got **** to do with it. I never watch any of those called stars
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

No, no, no.

Horoscopes.

As an Aquarius I am destined to be handsome and witty with a big weiner. I am also trained in the mystical ninja arts from birth.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

I don't know what went wrong with me. But, I was making purple mushroom works of art even before I was aged 5.
    Chuck's version of Christmas is the Anti-SicEm-
    SicEmBaylor

Drunky Town Limnologist Fraggle145's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgensooner View Post
    Babies are born with a temperament. If you've ever observed newborns in a hospital nursery, you'd know this. So there is certainly a nature aspect to personality.
    I dont disagree that newborns have different temperaments, I know from personal experience of having a newborn. And I dont disagree that genes can play a role in personality. However, newborns have already experienced nurture for 9 months in the womb that have definite effects on development.
    Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    your puny brain can't understand the awesomeness of God
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib