Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerMom2's Avatar
    vCash

OSU's Monken Disses Landry Jones

This is an excerpt from an ESPN article about the quarterback situation at OSU but Monken couldn't resist going after Landry Jones. This was uncalled for IMO. Can you please take down the Congratulations to OSU on the Big 12 Championship -- been long enough and as people keep saying this is a Sooner message board not one for OSU. Personally have zero respect for their program headed by Boone Pickens!

These quotes blew my mind but what I have come to expect out of coaches etc. out of Stillwater -- no class at all:

"It didn’t take long when ol’ (Oklahoma receiver Ryan) Broyles went down and (OU) started running the dozer to think, 'Do we have our guy?' That didn’t take long," Monken said. "Landry Jones went from like, 'I’m the man,' to all of a sudden, 'I haven’t thrown a touchdown pass, I'm fumbling it over my head at Oklahoma State. I gotta go back and see my quarterback guru.'"

There's no doubt Oklahoma State's coaches have pored over hours of tape from all three candidates in the past few weeks and months. Still, there's no resolution.

"They’re all doing really good," Monken said. "They wouldn’t say that, as much as I yell at them, but they’ve all done better than I thought they’d do for where they’re at."

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...decisive-pokes

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Re: OSU's Monken Disses Landry Jones

I don't think he's taking a shot at Landry at all. He's saying that a change in game circumstances (Broyles going down) can make a coach question what one previously thought was a no brainer.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

ok...I"min the dark...who is Monken? is he a player for osu? if that is a coach...(which is what I'm getting) that is totally uncalled for...no way in heck Stoops and Co would ever do that...THANK GOD he is our coach...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Man, comments like that I would expect to come from a player. I don't recall ever hearing of a coach going after another team's player like that.

vCash

I can't say that I really give a rip what players from other teams, or coaches from other teams say about OU. There's a lot of things in the world to get worked up about, IMO this is not one of them.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    ok...I"min the dark...who is Monken? ..
    Poke OC
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Monken is an NFL guy, so he comes off a lot different than a lifetime college coach...No biggy...And it did change things obviously when Broyles went down.
    Bazinga

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Monken is an NFL guy, so he comes off a lot different than a lifetime college coach...No biggy...And it did change things obviously when Broyles went down.
    and whaley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    It was kinda noticeable wasn't it?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

agreed...

It did change things...

yes it's NOT a big deal what any other coaches or players say about the Sooners...

DISAGREE...

poke fan..good grief...talk about orange colored glasses....your dude said LANDRY was second guessing himself...not the coaches...course wouldn't expect anything less...and for the record not a big "hate the pokes guy"...but you can't be serious....

ah well...we'll see how well he does this yr...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Listening to him talk some last season, he sounded like a OC version of Mike Stoops...Very aggressive and has no problems cussin a player out of his cleats.
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU_Sooners75's Avatar
    vCash

agreed...

It did change things...

yes it's NOT a big deal what any other coaches or players say about the Sooners...

DISAGREE...

poke fan..good grief...talk about orange colored glasses....your dude said LANDRY was second guessing himself...not the coaches...course wouldn't expect anything less...and for the record not a big "hate the pokes guy"...but you can't be serious....

ah well...we'll see how well he does this yr...
    I think...you need...more of ...these...!

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post

and before you tear into me remember, BOOMER SOONER!

Skip Bayless, is that you?

vCash

Oh...and for the OP:

If you read the article in its entirity, then you would understand (or shoud) that it is not a diss on Landry Jones.

Lets look at the setup to what you quoted from the article, shall we?

"We’ve got to continue to play well around these guys and allow them to function, because none of them right now are capable of carrying us themselves. We don’t have that guy right now. He’s not here right now," Monken said. "Maybe he will be, but right now, he’s not."

Monken's not exactly sweating. He had a guy who could do it last year in Weeden, but looking around college football, he knows few teams have a quarterback who can truly carry a team.

"It didn’t take long when ol’ (Oklahoma receiver Ryan) Broyles went down and (OU) started running the dozer to think, 'Do we have our guy?' That didn’t take long," Monken said. "Landry Jones went from like, 'I’m the man,' to all of a sudden, 'I haven’t thrown a touchdown pass, I'm fumbling it over my head at Oklahoma State. I gotta go back and see my quarterback guru.'"

Essentially is he is talking about it is hard to find a QB that can carry a team on his shoulders. He threw Landry Jones out there as an example. And he was saying that all was going good before Broyles went down and then Jones' confidence tanked afterwards... And he is correct. Jones was not a QB last year that could put the team on his shoulders and will the team to win.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU_Sooners75 View Post
    I think...you need...more of ...these...!
    sure.....how many....do....you want....?....

just curious.....let me .....know if.....

that is .....enough....

okay...?....

vCash

sure.....how many....do....you want....?....

just curious.....let me .....know if.....

that is .....enough....

okay...?....

LOL...thanks....that...should...be...enough...!

vCash

Don't think anyone is saying OU wasn't worse off without Broyles and Landry struggled. (that better for ya?)
    I don't agree with a coach saying a player is second guessing himself. His last sentence he says Landry was second guessing and needed to go back and see his guru. He wants to call out Stoops, more power to him.

I'm thinking a certain poke coach went ballistic when someone, let alone a coach, questioned one of his players.

Bottom line for me, glad he isn't coaching OU and we'll see what he does this yr with a new unproven QB....oh and I could really give a rats a$$ about it!

vCash

I will correct him and say that the Belldozer was being ran before Broyles went down though.
    Bazinga

vCash

Don't think anyone is saying OU wasn't worse off without Broyles and Landry struggled. (that better for ya?)
    I don't agree with a coach saying a player is second guessing himself. His last sentence he says Landry was second guessing and needed to go back and see his guru. He wants to call out Stoops, more power to him.

I'm thinking a certain poke coach went ballistic when someone, let alone a coach, questioned one of his players.

Bottom line for me, glad he isn't coaching OU and we'll see what he does this yr with a new unproven QB....oh and I could really give a rats a$$ about it!
    Was he incorrect with his statement?

I am not trying to defend the cowpoke coach at all...I am just not finding anything wrong with what he said.

Was his comments iladvised? Probably...but I don't see anything wrong as in a diss to Landry Jones.

I will say this though. Landry Jones has a lot to prove to this Sooner Fan for me to be confident in him.

Wild West Wench
    vCash

Lookin' for class in Stillwater is like lookin' for class in Austin. It's all that damn gawdawful orange. Messes with them, poor souls.

vCash

I guess Landry should have just sat on his *** and give up!
    Like my old grand daddy used to say, "The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."

2006 Oklahoma Sooners
    2007 Oklahoma Sooners
    2008 Oklahoma Sooners