Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop the I word

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Drop the I word

A little more sensitivity if you please.....

“Calling people illegal or an illegal immigrant has become normalized even though it’s a term that’s inaccurate, it’s dehumanizing and it’s politically charged,” said Mónica Novoa, coordinator of the Drop the I-Word public campaign. “It’s anti-immigrant, anti-Latino language that’s harmful.”

The Drop the I-Word campaign began two years ago by the online magazine Colorlines. Their efforts have targeted politicians and the media and urged them to stop using the term "illegal immigrant" and use "undocumented worker" or "undocumented immigrant" instead. A few organizations, including the National Association of Hispanic Journalists and the Unity Journalists of Color, the umbrella organization for minority journalism groups, have heeded the call.

Some media organizations like the Miami Herald and Fox News Latino use "undocumented immigrant" or "unauthorized immigrant" rather than "illegal immigrant."

"The world illegal is an accurate description for actions, but not individuals," says Fox News Latino Managing Editor Alberto Vourvoulias-Bush. "We don't use it to describe people who commit other crimes. We write about unlicensed drivers, for example, not illegal drivers."

But the term "illegal immigrant" is used by some of the largest media organizations, including The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Associated Press. Many believe the term accurately reflects the person's legal status. They are in the country illegally, therefore they are an illegal immigrant.

For Latinos, Immigration is More Personal Than Political, Fox News Latino Poll Says

“It is technically correct,” said Ira Mehlman, media director the Federation for American Immigration Reform. “They are in the country illegally. It’s not undocumented worker who left their wallet at home.”

One thing it does show, Mehlman said, is that the labels people use matters. He said the words that are used set the tone of the conversation.

“There is an effort try to frame language in a way that states your position,” he said. “The words you use change the dynamics of the conversation.”

Some media organizations agree.

“We feel that the term [undocumented] is sometimes used to indicate that it’s not really a legal violation,” AP Deputy Standards Editor David Minthorn told Poynter, a journalism think tank, last year. “We’re trying to be neutral, and if we adopt that term in every case it would be imprecise. So, we just prefer not to use it at all.”
    Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...#ixzz1rviJYxWr
    Last edited by okie52; 4/13/2012 at 09:36 AM.

vCash

Re: Drop the I word

Just when I thought people couldn't get any more stupid.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

A Rose by any other Name....

On the other hand a Large Turd is still a Pile of **** .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Hillary drops the I-word.

Critics pounce on Clinton after immigration comments

By MOLLY BALL
    REVIEW-JOURNAL

Posted: Jan. 12, 2008 | 10:00 p.m.
    Updated: Apr. 9, 2012 | 2:48 p.m.

An off-the-cuff comment Hillary Clinton made in Las Vegas on Thursday has ignited a national firestorm.

Answering a shout from a man in the crowd who said, "I'm married to an illegal woman," Clinton shot back, "No woman is illegal," grinning as the packed Mexican restaurant at which she was speaking exploded in cheers.

That comment, reported in Friday's Review-Journal, caught the attention of the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Lou Dobbs and the Drudge Report and led to nearly 1,000 angry comments on the newspaper's Web site.

To put the remark into context, Clinton did add, after a pause, "... and no man, either." She then explained her position on immigration.

But anti-illegal immigration activists weren't upset because of sexism, but because of the implication that those who cross the border illegally aren't lawbreakers. Many demanded an explanation.

Clinton, a spokeswoman said, meant that she "believes you can be tough on the issue of illegal immigration without being mean-spirited about the human beings involved."

The spokeswoman, Hilarie Grey, noted that Clinton's position is to secure the border in addition to treating current illegal immigrants humanely.

"It simply isn't true" that there aren't illegal immigrants, said Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, an anti-illegal immigration group. "We have immigration laws, and yet we have government officials who have sworn to uphold the laws of this country saying if somebody violates them, they make an exception to the rule of law."

Mehlman's group was one of the main forces in derailing a bipartisan immigration reform bill that passed the U.S. Senate but was killed in the House of Representatives in 2006. The measure failed after a massive grass-roots campaign fueled by talk radio jammed congressional phone lines and e-mail in-boxes.

The group is nonpartisan and has targeted Republicans who fall out of line with its message just as harshly as it has Democrats.

"Illegal alien is a legal term," he said. "It describes somebody who violates our immigration laws. You can apply the law to people without showing disrespect to them as human beings. Illegal immigrants should be treated with human decency, but we still need to enforce immigration laws."

Politicians, Mehlman said, don't understand the anger of average Americans on the immigration issue, anger that crosses party lines.

"On a gut level, we have millions of people getting away with not playing by the rules while we are expected to play by the rules, so there is a sense of unfairness," he said. "But this also directly affects a lot of people who work for a living, or have kids in school, or rely on social services."

He added, "I'm sure the children of people Hillary Clinton hangs around with, their kids aren't sitting in classrooms where half the kids don't speak English and nobody's learning anything."

The episode illustrates the inflammatory nature of the immigration debate as well as the degree to which it hinges on issues of semantics.

Though immigration is a red-hot issue nationally, it will be spotlighted in the run-up to Nevada's Jan. 19 caucuses, established partly to give Hispanics a voice in the presidential nominating process.

Las Vegas Democratic activist Tony Sanchez, head of the IMPACTO political action committee of the Latin Chamber of Commerce, said of Clinton's comment, "Good for her."

Sanchez said he doesn't like it when people are referred to as illegal. "A person can't be illegal," he said. "You can be undocumented. You can not have your papers. You can be noncompliant. But to call people 'illegals' is meanness."

Sanchez said Clinton shouldn't be portrayed as a radical illegal immigrant-coddler for a few compassionate words. "She didn't say to open up the borders," he said. "She was responding to a crowd that wanted to hear that, and I happen to agree with her."

Administrator
    vCash

I, for one, have never, ever - not even once, uttered the words "illegal immigrant." Does this make me a liberal pansy?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    I, for one, have never, ever - not even once, uttered the words "illegal immigrant." Does this make me a liberal pansy?
    Maybe.... have you ever uttered "undocumented worker"?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Me either
    I call em what they are
    "WETS"
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Me either
    I call em what they are
    "WETS"
    I usually just go with illegals.
    Last edited by okie52; 4/13/2012 at 10:08 AM.

vCash

you know, i feel for people that escape ****holes to the south (this probably includes Texas) but the sense of entitlement bothers me

if they aren't here legitimately, they are here illegally. it seems pretty black and white.

now assuming every Hispanic person is illegal or even Mexican, yeah, i can see having problems with that

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    you know, i feel for people that escape ****holes to the south (this probably includes Texas) but the sense of entitlement bothers me

if they aren't here legitimately, they are here illegally. it seems pretty black and white.

now assuming every Hispanic person is illegal or even Mexican, yeah, i can see having problems with that
    The Hispanic population wouldn't feel "profiled" or targeted if it wasn't for the fact that most of the 12 million illegals in the US are hispanics. And yet, the legal hispanic population in the US overwhelmingly supports amnesty and open borders with Mexico.

vCash

I ran into a Lady that was working at Dillards Dept Store. She said she was Russian. Her english was very good. She seemed to be very happy having a job and working. We brought up a guy from India and his Family that we know very well and how he was here for a number of years on a legal work permit too. The reason is that she was trying to go by the Laws of The United States of America and get her Permanent US Citizenship and we had been a part of the India Fellow and his Family becoming a US Citizen and just how much it meant to them to be able to call themselves Americans. It was pretty touching.

I wish her well on her road to become a Legal US Citizen. I wish anyone that is trying to do what it takes to come here and raise their hand and pledge their allegiance to our Country.
    Those that want it for free or don't wish to denounce their citizenship to the Country they were born in need to understand that they are visitors here and subject to deportation should they break the law. If they wish to live here, there is a process for that and those that don't follow it should expect to be returned Home if they don't follow the Rules.

I've been a visitor to a number of Countries and tried to leave a good impression when I go somewhere. If I am there as a visitor I declare that status. If I am there on business, I state my business.

If you come to America to work you aren't here visiting. We welcome you here on your visit but don't forget to go Home and if you want to stay you need to declare that and go through the legal process of getting approved to work here. If you are denied, you should go back to visiting and once your time as a visitor is up....you need to go Home. If there is a reason you can't you need to declare Political Asylum. Then you'll go through a process that will verify that you indeed are qualified to do so. At least that's my understanding. I'm sure those folks that make their living helping folks get their Citizenship know a hell of a lot more than me but that is what the Government Classes I took in College taught me about the process. Maybe it's changed a bit since then?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

[QUOTE=StoopTroup;3469982]

I wish her well on her road to become a Legal US Citizen. I wish anyone that is trying to do what it takes to come here and raise their hand and pledge their allegiance to our Country.
    /QUOTE]
    surprisingly agree with you! lol...and like you said..unfortunately the education system (yes I'm a teacher) of the USA and it seems the liberal media want to continue to promote self country..and NOT being a USA citizen...hell we allow kids to NOT say the Pledge of Allegiance because of their beliefs...religious or political..

it'd be really interesting how we would celebrate July 4th, our country's independence if it was during school...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

A correct phrasing is "an alien who is unlawfully present." The alien may or may not be an immigrant. And it is not a person who is illegal, but the behavior of the person which is illegal.
    Ingles solamente (ˇno exepciones!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

A person who used an implement where the result was an intentional loss of life. Killer is so cliche

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    A correct phrasing is "an alien who is unlawfully present." The alien may or may not be an immigrant. And it is not a person who is illegal, but the behavior of the person which is illegal.
    What ever Taco boy .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanJoaquinSooner View Post
    Yeah. That makes sense. Prisons are full of People that had criminal behavior. Definitely not criminals.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I don't understand why we should care about the feelings of people who are here breaking our laws and forcing wages down for unskilled laborers. Eff 'em.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I don't understand why we should care about the feelings of people who are here breaking our laws and forcing wages down for unskilled laborers. Eff 'em.
    I am slightly surprised...can't remember you ever stating your case on elligal emmigration...(I dropped the I)

vCash

Hear Hear!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    I am slightly surprised...can't remember you ever stating your case on elligal emmigration...(I dropped the I)

Their is no I in team.