Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

OU OU vs Arkansas Tuesday

OU (18-14) host #9 Arkansas (24-7)
    Gametime: 6:30pm

BROADCAST INFORMATION
    • The OU radio broadcast with play-by-play announcer Toby Rowland and Chris Plank on color can be heard Tuesday on the Sooner Sports Network (KREF 1400 AM in Norman/OKC). Every game in 2012 is also online at SoonerSports.com.
    • Tuesday’s game will be televised nationally on Fox College Sports with Chad McKee (play-by-play) and Ross Hubbard (color). DirecTV carries Fox College Sports on channell 617 or 623. Check with your local provider for coverage in your area.
    • Live stats and a live webcast are also available on SoonerSports.com for Tuesday’s game.

PITCHING MATCHUP
    Oklahoma: RHP Damien Magnifico (0-0, 4.76 ERA) vs. Arkansas: LHP Randall Fant (1-1, 5.49 ERA)

OU vs. ARKANSAS SERIES NOTES
    Arkansas leads the overall series 14-10.
    - The Sooners last met the Razorbacks in Norman during a 5-2 win on May 18, 2010. The game on March 29 of last year was rained out in Fayetteville.
    - Arkansas won the last meeting in Fayetteville, an 8-7 extra-inning game on April 28, 2009. That game was the first meeting in the series since 2002.
    - The two met twice during the 2009 NCAA Norman Regional with Arkansas coming out on top in both games.
    - OU won five of the first seven meetings in the series, but just five of the last 17 games.
    - 14 of the 24 meetings have been decided by three runs or less with Arkansas holding an 8-6 edge. OU leads 5-4 when the game is decided by one run.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: OU vs Arkansas Tuesday

OU leads 2-0 in the bottom of the 5th

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

OU wins 4-0

By far the best win of the year

BOOMER!

Administrator
    vCash

I love all the enthusiasm over here for our baseball team...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    I love all the enthusiasm over here for our baseball team...
    This entire board is just bubbling with activity these days.

Administrator
    vCash

I guess meh = meh.

vCash

Well this message board is a reflection of the enthusiasm for the program in general. Attendance is pitiful. I do need to say though that there was a "decent" crowd there last night, but all in all, there are about 200 fans that are loyal and attend almost every game. We are averaging probably around 800 per game in paid attendance. Probably closer to 600 in actual butts in the seats.

*Checked paid attendance for last night's game and my quotes around decent are warranted. Paid attendance was 1537. Great crowd for Sooner baseball but absolutely pathetic in the grand scheme of things. We had a top 10 team in town, not to mention a team that is slowly becoming somewhat of a rival. There were probably 150-200 Hog fans in attendance as well, if not more.
    Last edited by Sooner11JK; 4/11/2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Checked figures

I'll bet the Hawg fans weren't doing that "S-E-C!" nonsense much last night. That makes the win that much sweeter, especially after hearing all the stories from that one year that Arkie won the Norman Regional. If it wasn't just "S-E-C! S-E-C!" - it was also nonsense like, "that was an SEC curveball; that was an SEC double-play..." Ugh!

vCash

I don't post over here that often anymore, but I saw the sarcastic references to the enthusiasm surrounding Sooner baseball in this thread and thought I'd address what I view as the problem with Sooner baseball, at least for me.

His name is Sunny Golloway.

I have gotten to the point where I cannot stand Golloway. I am tired of his antics on the field, his constant public ripping of specific players in interviews, and his inability to build a consistent winner/contender. I know he's had a decent run in the past few years and his trip to the CWS a couple of years back was great, but I seriously doubt his ability to return to Omaha on a regular basis. Last year was a severe disappointment and, thus far, this year is as well.

I live in the Tulsa area, so I don't get to come to games in Norman very often. But I don't really care to make the trip to watch a Sunny Golloway-coached team. I don't get fired up to watch his team when it comes to Tulsa anymore either. I'm not boycotting the team or anything - I just don't get excited about watching a baseball game where I know at some point our coach is going to act like a child.

I used to be a Golloway supporter. I favored bringing him back on staff from ORU, supported him getting the job when Cochell left, and supported him in the Stephenson debacle. In the last few years, however, I just see that he has gotten more and more erratic and I believe it's affected his ability to run the baseball program.

Disclaimer: I am not any kind of huge supporter/baseball booster/insider. I don't know Golloway personally and have no personal beef with him. I know a little bit about some of the players we've had on the team over the past several years but not enough to claim any kind of inside knowledge. I'm just a Sooner alum and baseball fan that has followed the program over the past 25 years and likes to try to get to a game or two each year.

Flame away.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

sorry, I try my best to keep activity going for baseball, just been working like a dog lately.. good to see them pick up a win. Need to start putting together a string of these though, or no postseason for us.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I would love to follow Sooner Baseball with far more enthusiasm. However, since there is 0 coverage if you don't go to the game it makes it kinda hard. College baseball gets less coverage than women's hoops.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by S.PadreIsl.Sooner View Post
    I would love to follow Sooner Baseball with far more enthusiasm. However, since there is 0 coverage if you don't go to the game it makes it kinda hard. College baseball gets less coverage than women's hoops.
    The link I have provided in the game threads in the past work (for the most part). Living half-way across the country, that is the only way I can follow (or listen to it on 1400). I agree with you about the coverage though. ESPNU was meant to show college sports but for the most part they only show 2 or 3 baseball games a week. The rest is filled with Lacrosse and college bowling.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

True. ESPN does like their college bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    I don't post over here that often anymore, but I saw the sarcastic references to the enthusiasm surrounding Sooner baseball in this thread and thought I'd address what I view as the problem with Sooner baseball, at least for me.

His name is Sunny Golloway.

I have gotten to the point where I cannot stand Golloway. I am tired of his antics on the field, his constant public ripping of specific players in interviews, and his inability to build a consistent winner/contender. I know he's had a decent run in the past few years and his trip to the CWS a couple of years back was great, but I seriously doubt his ability to return to Omaha on a regular basis. Last year was a severe disappointment and, thus far, this year is as well.

I live in the Tulsa area, so I don't get to come to games in Norman very often. But I don't really care to make the trip to watch a Sunny Golloway-coached team. I don't get fired up to watch his team when it comes to Tulsa anymore either. I'm not boycotting the team or anything - I just don't get excited about watching a baseball game where I know at some point our coach is going to act like a child.

I used to be a Golloway supporter. I favored bringing him back on staff from ORU, supported him getting the job when Cochell left, and supported him in the Stephenson debacle. In the last few years, however, I just see that he has gotten more and more erratic and I believe it's affected his ability to run the baseball program.

Disclaimer: I am not any kind of huge supporter/baseball booster/insider. I don't know Golloway personally and have no personal beef with him. I know a little bit about some of the players we've had on the team over the past several years but not enough to claim any kind of inside knowledge. I'm just a Sooner alum and baseball fan that has followed the program over the past 25 years and likes to try to get to a game or two each year.Flame away.
    As long as you only make a game or two a year, we're okay.

vCash

Never been a college baseball fan. I've always felt, rightly or wrongly, that if they were really good at baseball they'd be getting paid to play it, even if at the minor league level. Yes I know that many college players could be getting paid to play, and many will get paid to play, but I've never been able to overcome that idea that these guys aren't the best.

I also find baseball played by any but the best to be beyond boring. Anyway, just my .02

...and lastly: I usually don't come over here to express my opinions on the matter not wanting to upset those that do enjoy it, but since lack of interest sorta became the topic here...
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

You'd fit in nicely here CB. Every time a guy strikes out or boots a ground ball you just blame it on Sunny Venables. It's the easy cop out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    You'd fit in nicely here CB. Every time a guy strikes out or boots a ground ball you just blame it on Sunny Venables. It's the easy cop out.
    ...but I don't care enough about college baseball, OU or otherwise, to blame anybody.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

The old OUInsider board was a much better place to discuss baseball but when they made the 24/7 switch and everyone splintered out there really hasn't been a good place to discuss OU baseball with people that actually care about it more than trying to drive 90 miles once or twice a year to take in a game.

The OU baseball program is what it is and Sunny Golloway has had as much success in the program as anyone. I've met the guy and he bent over backwards to help me and my cause out without receiving a dime for his time and efforts. I understand there are others that have had different experiences with him. I've said many times I don't care who is running the program or who is playing on the field as long as they represent OU well and put a good product out on the field as legally as possible. As long as Sunny Golloway is doing that he will have my support and the kids who choose to wear the Crimson and Cream will always have my support no matter who their skipper is.

I wish books had lines on college baseball games...