Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry vs Israel

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Barry vs Israel

Quote Originally Posted by AlboSooner View Post
    Israeli lobby in US spends tons of money in pro-Israeli PR = Americans believe somehow Israel is an ally of America, and America has interests that need protection in Israel.

PR works people. You spend money, you get results. Just ask Santorum how he liked going against Romney.

I can't think of one instance when Israel sent soldiers to help the US fight a war.
    Yeah it is pretty much a one way street and I do not consider them an ally. They are more like a protectorate of the US.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

We do not have an formal alliance with the state of Israel.

vCash

that would explain that whole spy clemency thing that's going on

Administrator
    vCash

My argument was never about any alliance we had with the Israelis, or whether or not they would join us in combat. My argument is that we do have interests in Israel. Personally, I don't believe we have much of anyone we can depend on in a military sense. Sure, there are nations that contribute when we ask them to, but there isn't any single US ally that could stand on their own if it came down to that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    My argument was never about any alliance we had with the Israelis, or whether or not they would join us in combat. My argument is that we do have interests in Israel. Personally, I don't believe we have much of anyone we can depend on in a military sense. Sure, there are nations that contribute when we ask them to, but there isn't any single US ally that could stand on their own if it came down to that.
    What interests do we have in Israel? Show your work.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Oh I think the Brits could take care of themselves pretty well.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    More like obligation to protect Jews after what Hitler did?

The Four major religions in terms of number of followers are Christianity and Islam followed by Hinduism and Judasim.

Christians have a lot of countries they could go to if they are being persecuted(EU,NA - Christian Majority)
    Muslims have a lot of countries they could go to.(Saudi,UAE etc - Muslim Majority)
    Hindus have India and Nepal(Hindu Majority)

There is no country where Jews are in majority.(Need for Israel)

I agree there are so many small religions that fall into same category but none of them are under threat like Jews(and to some extent Hindus) from other religions(mostly Islam)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthCarolinaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 5thYearSooner View Post

The Four major religions in terms of number of followers are Christianity and Islam followed by Hinduism and Judasim.
    What?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...us_populations

Jews can go to anywhere in the developed world and not be prosecuted, last time I checked the pogroms are well gone. The only other religion which has its own "homeland" is Juche, LOL

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LiveLaughLove's Avatar
    vCash

Israel provides us a ton of stuff behind the scenes about the middle east. Intel from Mossad is almost daily.

Also they are our buffer in the region. We use them like they use us. As long as Arab eyes are focused on them, they aren't focused on us as much.

You may not think that warrants them getting the help they get from us (I would agree that's debatable), but they do actually do things of value for us.

Something like 80% of cut diamonds to the USA come through Israel too. Just an interesting little tidbit.
    "We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping at the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised to furnish new pretenses for revenue and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without a tribute."
    -- Thomas Paine

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

More like obligation to protect Jews after what Hitler did?

Christians have a lot of countries they could go to if they are being persecuted(EU,NA - Christian Majority)
    Muslims have a lot of countries they could go to.(Saudi,UAE etc - Muslim Majority)
    Hindus have India and Nepal(Hindu Majority)

There is no country where Jews are in majority.(Need for Israel)

I agree there are so many small religions that fall into same category but none of them are under threat like Jews(and to some extent Hindus) from other religions(mostly Islam)
    Why does the wish to preserve world religions merit billions of dollars (maybe trillions?) spent by the U.S. taxpayer?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post

Also they are our buffer in the region. We use them like they use us. As long as Arab eyes are focused on them, they aren't focused on us as much.
    I'd argue that Arab eyes associate us with Israel 90% of the time, we go pretty much hand in hand.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerProphet's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
    Israel provides us a ton of stuff behind the scenes about the middle east. Intel from Mossad is almost daily.
    yes, and their perspectives have colored our perceptions for decades. which many would argue is not a a source of reliable or objective analysis.

Administrator
    vCash

Read the entire post.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps
    We do have interests in Israel, and it's well-being:

Israel has more companies listed on the NASDAQ than any country outside of the US. More than China, Europe and India combined. To boil it down, Israel is an educated (something like the 3rd or 4th most educated population on the planet), and it's people have disposable income. In other words, the tech industry does, in fact, rely in part on Israel. Whether it be as a contributor to the NASDAQ, or the contribution to the tech industry as a whole, there are reasons we have interests in Israel.
    Last edited by 8timechamps; 4/14/2012 at 01:55 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    Oh I think the Brits could take care of themselves pretty well.
    In a short lived conflict, the Brits are fine. Should they ever encounter a conflict with China, they wouldn't fare quite so well. Of course, the chance that they would ever find themselves in an armed conflict of that size and scale is very, very slim.

Administrator
    vCash

Why does the wish to preserve world religions merit billions of dollars (maybe trillions?) spent by the U.S. taxpayer?
    I can only assume you mean spending total (as opposed to annual), because trillions is pushing it even for a total contribution.

Just so I know where you stand, is it just Israel you oppose foreign aid, or is it every country in the world we send aid?

vCash

I can only assume you mean spending total (as opposed to annual), because trillions is pushing it even for a total contribution.

Just so I know where you stand, is it just Israel you oppose foreign aid, or is it every country in the world we send aid?
    Not answering for Midtowner, but the usefulness of foreign aid is highly questionable, especially in Africa where aid may be hindering development rather than helping it. Over $1 trillion in aid to Africa since 1970, yet the people are poorer in terms of real income. Corrupt heads of state siphoning of aid or totally seizing all of it, failing institutions and lack of infrastructure to properly deliver aid, as well as using the aid as a crutch. Lots of free money keeps inflation and debt high, and keeps bad governments in power. We can't solve Israel, Palestine or DRC's problems, and throwing money at the problem certainly doesn't help.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

George Bush said to the world after 9/11 that the UK was America's greatest ally, and best friend. I believe him.

America's infatuation with Israel is a result of pro-Israel propaganda in the media, movies, and politics, and the religious rights. obsession with Armageddon scenarios and the idea that somehow Israel's fate is tied to Armageddon.

Many countries have companies in the stock market. I don't see the president swearing allegiance to every country who has companies in the stock market. The Mossad rides in the coattails of the CIA.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

In a short lived conflict, the Brits are fine. Should they ever encounter a conflict with China, they wouldn't fare quite so well. Of course, the chance that they would ever find themselves in an armed conflict of that size and scale is very, very slim.
    Just depends on where they are fighting a war.....if someone was trying to invade the UK my money is on the Brits

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaSooner View Post
    What?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...us_populations

Jews can go to anywhere in the developed world and not be prosecuted, last time I checked the pogroms are well gone. The only other religion which has its own "homeland" is Juche, LOL
    Agree that Jews can go anywhere in the developed world and not be PERSECUTED. But the IF they were to be persecuted, then they need a country to go and live. Germany was pretty developed back then but still they were persecuted.
    and FYI
    http://www.translegal.com/common-mis...e-vs-prosecute
    And Juche isnt a religion

vCash

Agree that Jews can go anywhere in the developed world and not be PERSECUTED. But the IF they were to be persecuted, then they need a country to go and live. Germany was pretty developed back then but still they were persecuted.
    and FYI
    http://www.translegal.com/common-mis...e-vs-prosecute
    And Juche isnt a religion
    "Common mistake" as your link says, but I really guess you would want to get into a debate over semantics, since you are apparently poorly informed about the topic at hand. Where do you think persecution of Jews is a problem in the developed world? I realize Juche isn't purely a religion, but its included in most adherents lists. Hence why I included the "lol" afterwards...