SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Kirk Ferentz is keeping it in the family . . .

APNewsBreak: Ferentz’s son hired from pool of 102

By RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press
    Mar 30, 5:56 pm EDT

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP)—The son of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz beat out 100 other applicants for a position on his father’s staff and was given a salary $15,000 higher than a second assistant coach hired at the same time, according to documents released Friday.

Brian Ferentz was given a starting annual salary of $202,400 when he was hired away from the New England Patriots in February, placing the 28-year-old’s compensation in the top half for offensive line coaches in the Big Ten, according to hiring documents released in response to an open records request by The Associated Press. The other assistant hired at the same time, linebackers coach LeVar Woods, will earn $187,000.

Despite Brian Ferentz’s obvious qualifications, the hiring has come under scrutiny because of the father-son relationship. A university policy meant to ban nepotism says familial relationships should be avoided whenever possible, and must be strictly managed to avoid even the appearance of favoritism.

Athletic director Gary Barta has said it was his decision to hire Brian Ferentz, he will act as his supervisor and that Kirk Ferentz recused himself from the interview process. The claim was undercut earlier this month when Brian Ferentz said he had spoken about the job with his dad and took it because “you can’t say no to your father.”

The documents released Friday do not mention the relationship between Ferentz and his son, or any special steps taken during the hiring process. In fact, they show Kirk Ferentz was a member of the search committee for both positions along with other assistants and athletic department officials. A department spokesman had no immediate comment Friday, and university spokesman Tom Moore said the school had “followed its policies throughout this process.”

University officials justified giving Brian Ferentz a higher salary because he had more coaching experience than Woods, an administrative assistant with the team who coached as an interim assistant in two seasons. Brian Ferentz had been with the Patriots four years, coaching the tight ends last season, which ended in a loss at the Super Bowl. Hiring documents say his talent was in high demand.

“Mr. Ferentz’s abilities are recognized through the rapidly escalating competition for his coaching services by a competing Big Ten Conference football program as well as NFL clubs,” according to a Feb. 11 memo sent by director of football operations Paul Federici on behalf of Kirk Ferentz and Barta.

Federici sent the memo to the university’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity summarizing the search for the assistant jobs. He said team officials reviewed 102 applications and requested permission to interview four—Ferentz, Woods and two others whose names were redacted from the records.

A Feb. 16 memo to human resources from Federici and Barta praised Brian Ferentz’s experience in the NFL, his background playing for Iowa between 2002 and 2005, and his “beliefs in academic, athletic and citizenship achievement.”

“Feedback from the Search Committee was that applicant Ferentz would transition smoothly and be a successful addition to the existing staff based upon his sincere interest to contribute to the student athletes’ success,” the memo said.

The university refused to release the names and resumes of the applicants. The school cited an exemption to Iowa’s public records law that allows agencies to withhold communications with people outside of government if their public disclosure would discourage future interactions. The school’s response did not address another provision that says job applicants’ information can be made public with their consent.

Leaders of a university oversight committee and the university administration have said all proper procedures were followed.

vCash

Re: Kirk Ferentz is keeping it in the family . . .

NFL experience?

i'm sorry, i just don't see a problem here.

sure, it's his son, but at the same time, he's going to be more familiar with how his dad does things. that's something that some guy off the street isn't going to get the same way

does anyone at OU have a problem with Stoops having his brother on staff?

who cares

as the old saying goes "it's good to be the king"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    NFL experience?

sure, it's his son, but at the same time, he's going to be more familiar with how his dad does things. that's something that some guy off the street isn't going to get the same way

venables did.

vCash

he's not at OU

Venables was not as qualified as Mike though, strictly speaking

Getting it done
    vCash

I see no problem here. His son had way more expirience at a higher level, and even played at Iowa.

vCash

Right or wrong, this is how things work in the coaching game. It is largely true that it's not what you know, but who you know.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Dio's Avatar
    vCash

Musta been a slow news day in Iowa
    "ESPN and Texas are now one and the same." -Stewart Mandel

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Seamus's Avatar
    vCash

Venables defenses gave up school record twice in a season. His opinion is DQ'd.
    8timechamps: The thought crossed my mind too. But, I'm too lazy to go back and reference every play from all the games. So, I'm just going to say "I agree", and if you're wrong, then let me be the first to call you a moron.

KantoSooner: More of this crap from the nanny generation. Wearing a Michigan shirt should earn you disdain or a beating on the playground, not administrative action. It's no wonder the youth of today are all pussies.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

So what.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member XingTheRubicon's Avatar
    vCash

Does Iowa have a "stand your ground" law

....and now please direct your attention to the field and J. Clayton Feaver will lead us in a moment of prayer...

"......please protect these young men from injury and for one and all to exhibit good sportsmanship.....IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN

-J Clayton Feaver

Enjoy

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jumperstop's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Right or wrong, this is how things work in the coaching game. It is largely true that it's not what you know, but who you know.
    That's pretty much how things work in life, not just coaching....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    NFL experience?

my thoughts exactly
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

sounds qualified to me...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Ferentz knows a thing or two about coaching O Linemen. I'm sure the apple did not fall far from the tree. Good family, good kid, good hire.
    "I'll be taking these Huggies and what ever cash you have"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Just some newsie trying to make trouble. Shoot, coaches hiring family members is a proven success story. Being an alum is also an age-old foot in the door.