Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

engine light code help

I have a 2004 Toyota Solara. Check engine light came on this weekend. Just had it checked at O'reilleys. Code is P0441: Evaporative Emissions System incorrect purge flow.

Any ideas WTF that means? Guy said could be the purge valve but wasn't sure.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 I Am Right's Avatar
    vCash

Re: engine light code help

Buy new car

vCash

Yer gonna think Im nuts But check yer Fuel cap and make sure its on right
    Thats not a Big deal either way

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Google the code. You'll see a bunch of different message board fixes for it. Some sound easy and others sound like you might need to replace a Charcoal canister which sounds expensive. Others say there might have been a forced recall on this through Toyota that made them fix this. In any case one of the things that caught my eye was that if you unhook the battery on your car, it will clear the fault. If it comes back on then I'd say you probably might have something to look into as the little bit I read on it kind of seemed to lead to your cars emmission system getting worse if you don't address it. How much worse? Maybe it's something you can live with until you decide to get rid of the car or maybe a bit of cleaning and lubing one of the valves they talk about or hooking up a hose on the canister is all that would take to fix it?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Yer gonna think Im nuts But check yer Fuel cap and make sure its on right
    Thats not a Big deal either way

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
    I agree with this too and unhook your battery and clear the fault.

vCash

Also roll down your windows when you are on the expressway and wave your arms out the window until you get pulled over. If the Cop is Asian ask him if he knows a good Toyota Mechanic.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash
    Will double check the gas cap and un hook the battery. I just changed out the gas cap 6 months ago.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.
    Posted from iOS app

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Can I join the "check your gas cap, unhook the battery, and see if it comes on again" dogpile?
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

check your gas cap, unhook the battery, and see if it comes on again. YWIA.

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner View Post
    Will double check the gas cap and un hook the battery. I just changed out the gas cap 6 months ago.
    Most of the time one from a Parts store will do ok , Ive had to buy em from the Dealer to get em to work right .

Seriously tho. Make sure its on tight. Id say 90% of the time when I had a car in my shop with that code The Cap was the Prob.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Id say 90% of the time when I had a car in my shop with that code The Cap was the Prob.
    ...and I bet you charged their *** for a valve job...

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    ...and I bet you charged their *** for a valve job...
    Engine Over haul
    Pay Tention

vCash

Disconnecting the Battery wont fix anything. If its a Hard Code it will just reset as soon as you run the vehicle much
    a Soft code will clear when ya have the prob fixed

To clear the codes with the battery . Disconnect the Negative cable for about 5 minuters then re attach

Thats Not really recommended anymore tho

Ya can take it to Orielly or Auto Zone and use their scanner to clear the codes easily

vCash

Get a piece of bail'n wire about 16" long. Touch one end to the -Neg side of the battery, then gently touch the other end of the wire to the +Pos side of the battery...Let this set for about 30 seconds, then remove. If that doesn't erase your memory...noth'n will.

I'm only kidding...please don't do this.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Administrator
    vCash

Drive it into a wall, then collect on insurance. Tell 'em the brakes wouldn't work (like the dude with the Prius).

Or check your gas cap, etc., etc., etc.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash
    I love the SO!
    Posted from iOS app

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Petro-Sooner View Post
    I love the SO!
    You should disconnect the battery from your laptop, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and see if you still love the SO.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    You should disconnect the battery from your laptop, wait a few minutes, turn it back on and see if you still love the SO.
    ...or go into DOS and type "Format C:"(minus the quotation marks)...this will take care of everthang...

OleVet Posse Instigator

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    ...or go into DOS and type "Format C:"(minus the quotation marks)...this will take care of everthang...
    Or throw it against a wall, collect on the insurance...then say you were just sitting there, doing nothing wrong when it happened (like the guy that ran the cruise ship aground).

Or go into DOS and etc., etc., etc.

vCash

Just disco the the battery.....if it doesn't work I know a guy near the Lake that does Engine Overhauls with the Battery connected.

Seriously though....if the gas cap deal and the reset doesn't work via the batt or scanner....you might have a hose that has weather cracked that goes to that system or like I was saying about a sticky valve or dirty sensor. There is lots of stuff you can check before going with an overhaul....lol

The thing is if your car is still running....you are probably OK for now anyway. These darn Toyota's are awesome IMO.

Find a mechanic you can trust down there too. I know it sucks paying someone to fix stuff that you might have been able to fix but sometimes if you take it there for cheap fixes....the advice you get later about stuff like this can pay off handsomely.

Let him change your oil and gt his hands on your dipstick every now and then.....NTTAWWT.