Thread: John Carter...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

John Carter...

My daughter and I went to the Warren yesterday and watched it. Good flick. The Princess was smok'n.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Re: John Carter...

Yeah, I don't get the hate for the film. I thought it was all kinds of fun.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

apparently losing all kinds of money

marketing was a little weird

vCash

Whoever did the trailer for this should be fired.

I hated that part of the movie as it reminded me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator. The rest is like Turd said. It's a good movie and in 3D at the IMAX that gal was even more smoking.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Whoever did the trailer for this should be fired.

I hated that part of the movie as it reminded me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator. The rest is like Turd said. It's a good movie and in 3D at the IMAX that gal was even more smoking.
    My daughter was pissed cause I didn't book the tickets in 3D...I told her as broke as she kept me, she's lucky she ain't watch'n it in 1D...

I would like to see a good movie in the director's lounge/seat...whatever it's called.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    apparently losing all kinds of money

marketing was a little weird
    Yeah, I know it's bombing at the box office. I just don't get it. I'm sure a lot of it is the terrible marketing campaign, but the reviews are even pretty bad. Don't get why. I thought it was good enough that it's going to be an owner when it comes out on BD.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

I think the beef is how much it cost to make.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

I thought it was great.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    I think the beef is how much it cost to make.
    That's a dumb reason to give a movie a bad review.

Administrator
    vCash

I'm taking the kids to see it this week, and I have to admit, from the previews, I had little to no interest. I happened to catch one of the behind the scenes shows on TV about John Carter, and it changed my mind. Whomever was in charge of the promotion for this one at Disney may need to rethink their line of work (if it hasn't been changed by Disney already).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    My daughter was pissed cause I didn't book the tickets in 3D...I told her as broke as she kept me, she's lucky she ain't watch'n it in 1D...

I would like to see a good movie in the director's lounge/seat...whatever it's called.
    It's just about the only reason to go to the movies IMO. The new 3D is awesome IMO. I like the 3D in Nic Cage's Ghost Rider movie that came out last month. Without 3D it probably sucked.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

What's funny is people saying it rips off Avatar, Star Wars, etc. when Burroughs wrote the stories a hundred years ago!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Sooner View Post
    That's a dumb reason to give a movie a bad review.
    Not what I meant. It's a top five all time flop because of what it cost to make and what it's projected to bring in.
    Entertainment Mag did a bit on it.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Oh, yeah. I can see calling it a flop because it's losing money. I DO think there's probably a few critics that are dropping it down a notch or two because of its cost.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Looks like it's gonzo overseas.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051853

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

How many of you or your children read or plan to read any books by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Compare/contrast that to the number of you or your children who have or plan to read Suzanna Collin's Hunger Games trilogy.

Is it any surprise the first movie is a flop (if $62 million in two weeks can be considered such) while the second had the third highest opening take in history?

Administrator
    vCash

I'm thinking this is just a bad time to release a movie. Not the actual time of the year, but any movie release that coincided with the release of The Hunger Games is going to take a hit.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jacie View Post
    How many of you or your children read or plan to read any books by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Compare/contrast that to the number of you or your children who have or plan to read Suzanna Collin's Hunger Games trilogy.

Is it any surprise the first movie is a flop (if $62 million in two weeks can be considered such) while the second had the third highest opening take in history?
    I read the John Carter of Mars books about 40 years ago and was wondering IF there would be any movies. If this movie bombs financially I'm thinking the sequels are doomed.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member