Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

St Augustine grass advice

Saw the other thread on Bermuda and wanted to start one for St. Augustine.

Any tips for keeping it greener? I know to water it deeply once a week, but any tips you guys use for keeping out weeds? I have a neighbor who i think is out of town for the winter or something, cause his weeds are creeping into my yard. i have already used Scotts Southern lawn fertilizer and weed killer and that got rod of most of the weeds, but his keep creeping.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: St Augustine grass advice

It will be treated similar to Bermuda...I had it in Tyler and didn't really like it...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Cotton seed hull and chicken ****...you'll thank me later.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Check here: Gardenline from Houston. I like the guy.

and here: Them jorts are good for something...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

This is a nice calendar put out by Arky:
    http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/lawns....htm#Table%202

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 I Am Right's Avatar
    vCash

Round Up

water, sun and fertilizer

vCash

that's one of my problems; i have a huge oak tree in the front yard that creates lost of shade. in the back i also have some big patches that are still dry/dead/dormant, when all around it is tall green grass. any idea what that is? I'll try and take a pic at lunch.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner View Post
    that's one of my problems; i have a huge oak tree in the front yard that creates lost of shade. in the back i also have some big patches that are still dry/dead/dormant, when all around it is tall green grass. any idea what that is? I'll try and take a pic at lunch.
    You need a lot of sun or it will not spread...

You don't have brown patch do you? It would show up as small brown spots on the blades...it will decimate your yard if it is not controlled...

You need to make sure you water early in the morning so the sun dries off the leaves in short order...if it doesn't dry the brown batch fungus can take hold....

Do the dead spots look like the pictures at this link?

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...r-greentree_ff

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    You need a lot of sun or it will not spread...

You don't have brown patch do you? It would show up as small brown spots on the blades...it will decimate your yard if it is not controlled...

You need to make sure you water early in the morning so the sun dries off the leaves in short order...if it doesn't dry the brown batch fungus can take hold....

Do the dead spots look like the pictures at this link?

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...r-greentree_ff
    Kind of. I will take a picture at lunch if i remember and post it. haven;t really noticed brown spots on the leaves.

Yeah, the spreading is my problem. i have a couple of spots that are more dirt than grass and are so shady that it has trouble spreading. to fill it in. and i have one in the middle of my yard now from the heat last year.

sounds like you have a fescue or rye growing

my neighbor has such a tree and can't get the st. augustine to grow around the roots either - its impossible i think

the solution is to get you some nice stone - dig out the grass around the tree - create a circular flower bed around the tree with some good fill dirt -and plant some color around the tree

vCash

Kind of. I will take a picture at lunch if i remember and post it. haven;t really noticed brown spots on the leaves.

Yeah, the spreading is my problem. i have a couple of spots that are more dirt than grass and are so shady that it has trouble spreading. to fill it in. and i have one in the middle of my yard now from the heat last year.
    Look closely at the blades and you can see small brown spots on the leaves...if you do have some brown patch it can be controlled with a fungicide...

vCash

One other thing...how long has the lawn been in? If it is old it could be St. Augustine which has a lot of problems...the hybrids like Raleigh St Augustine fair much better and are far more disease tolerant...I seriously doubt if you have the non hybrid version....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Next fall rake under that tree and throw down some fescue. Throw it in the bermuda some, too. It will come up first, then get choked out where the sun/bermuda takes over.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cleller View Post
    Next fall rake under that tree and throw down some fescue. Throw it in the bermuda some, too. It will come up first, then get choked out where the sun/bermuda takes over.
    If it is lack of sun the Bermuda won't spread either....I do not think St Augustine hybrids come in seed form...

vCash

Unplug the battery on your mower.

vCash

Here are the pics; you can see in the third picture, another type of grass is tying to creep in. this happens on the strip by my fence in the alley as well. any help is appreciated.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    One other thing...how long has the lawn been in? If it is old it could be St. Augustine which has a lot of problems...the hybrids like Raleigh St Augustine fair much better and are far more disease tolerant...I seriously doubt if you have the non hybrid version....
    No idea. bought the house 2 years ago.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan View Post
    sounds like you have a fescue or rye growing

my neighbor has such a tree and can't get the st. augustine to grow around the roots either - its impossible i think

the solution is to get you some nice stone - dig out the grass around the tree - create a circular flower bed around the tree with some good fill dirt -and plant some color around the tree
    Yeah near the roots I've given up on. these are two spots away from the tree that are just dirt. tried spreading new dirt with nutrients last summer but not much worked.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Given the size and shape, it looks like A) fungus, B) a dog **** party, C) there's something under the ground like a rock or other thing, or even D) someone burned the hell out of it with fertilizer. Here's whatcha do.

Treat with a fungicide, as was mentioned. Also either get ahold of some capsaicin or other spray to ward off dogs if that's a potential. Also, depending on the soil density either water or go out after a good rain with a sharpened piece of 3/8" rebar. Probe the area and get an approximate depth until the soil resists the rebar using only your own strength (don't drive it with a hammer). If you go 6-12" and hit something solid, whether it be roots, rocks, a stump, whatever, the soil isn't deep enough to maintain moisture in the guts of summer. The sun will literally cook the grass and evaporate any and all available water above the object/material. Lastly, what you fertilize with over the course of the growing season is as important as how often you water. What are you using over the course of the season?

With that done, it's my advice that you strip these dead spots entirely and resod. That eliminates any remaining diseased turf and doesn't rely on existing strong turf throwing runners over the course of summer when it's going to want root growth, which in turn allows you stay within an appropriate fertilization schedule. But with the root of the problem solved, you won't have to worry about wasting cash on a few strips.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.