Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

What will/must Lon do for an encore?

What do Lon's boys do this next season....and will it be enough to satisfy he fans?For my part I think OU was just a player defection away from being an 18-12 NIT team this season and I think wil get to the 18-20 win plateauas an NIT - NCAA bubble squad.My thinking is M'Baye and the two new wings will provide added depth,talent and scoring to be much improved.The problem is that most every team in the Big 12 has more talent and should be improved next season as well. That tempers my expectations for next year.I may upgrade my expectations after the April signing period.IMHO I think 18-20 wins is reasonable and will stave off the lynchmob.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner Starter SoonerInFortSmith's Avatar
    vCash
    Improved conference record and some sort of postseason berth. I look for the big jump to occur after next season.

Olevet Posse Executioner
    نقتلهم جميعا واسمحوا الله نتفهمها

vCash

Re: What will/must Lon do for an encore?

I'd just like to see some applause before I see an Encore.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    What do Lon's boys do this next season....and will it be enough to satisfy he fans?For my part I think OU was just a player defection away from being an 18-12 NIT team this season and I think wil get to the 18-20 win plateauas an NIT - NCAA bubble squad.My thinking is M'Baye and the two new wings will provide added depth,talent and scoring to be much improved.The problem is that most every team in the Big 12 has more talent and should be improved next season as well. That tempers my expectations for next year.I may upgrade my expectations after the April signing period.IMHO I think 18-20 wins is reasonable and will stave off the lynchmob.
    Dude, there's not enough fans in the stands to make up a decent lynch mob.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInFortSmith View Post
    Improved conference record and some sort of postseason berth. I look for the big jump to occur after next season.
    This

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Dude, there's not enough fans in the stands to make up a decent lynch mob.
    True.......... but with the amount of complaints about the state of OUr hoops team.on talk radio and the internet and around the watercooler, you would think that we had 25,000 hardcore fans.

Administrator
    vCash

Lon said today that the big three returning players (Pledger, Osby and Fitzgerald) have to work harder and play more physical. And that the team needs to learn how to win in the Big XII again (as nobody in the current program knows what that's like) . If he can get that accomplished by next season, I don't think an NCAA berth is aiming too high.

For me though, I'd like to see a winning record in conference and some type of postseason invite. Maybe that will get the fans back to the LNC.

vCash

Sounds like Blair is going to transfer.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Basically agree. I think M'Baye and the two frosh will be enough to get us wins in an extra 3, 4 or 5 home games in addition to another year of the current players being in the system and becoming more consistent and mentally tougher. A lot of those games we lost at home we led at half or played very well for a half. I think Texas, Mizzou (now WVU), ISU are games at LNC that we can reverse to wins with the addition of these players and the improvement/toughness by the current players. Add in a road game at A&M (now TCU) and I can easily see us in the 18-20 win category.

If the freshmen guards can handle the ball at all, they should improve.

vCash

Gotta start somewhere.....

vCash

Does the addition in spring of Cousins(signed) and Bennet and Spangler(committed) change anyone's perception? For me it strengthens my hopes for 18-20 wins ,upper half conference finish, and NIT-team-cusp of NCAA touney outlook.Would love to upgrade my expectations but we have so many unknowns in play with 4 newcomers plus M'Baye.The onflux of talent should be good for at least 5 more wins but beyond that I don't know, I hate to get my hopes up too far,would rather lower my expectations and be surprised when we surpass them.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Does the addition in spring of Cousins(signed) and Bennet and Spangler(committed) change anyone's perception? For me it strengthens my hopes for 18-20 wins ,upper half conference finish, and NIT-team-cusp of NCAA touney outlook.Would love to upgrade my expectations but we have so many unknowns in play with 4 newcomers plus M'Baye.The onflux of talent should be good for at least 5 more wins but beyond that I don't know, I hate to get my hopes up too far,would rather lower my expectations and be surprised when we surpass them.
    I'm not sure we gain a big advantage next year as Spangler must sit out a year based on transfer rules and didn't I read that Bennett wanted to redshirt or was that someone else? I do think it's very good for our future past next year. I think Cousins may have been a steal, Bennett has very good potential along with Spangler, whom I think, based on his desire to be at OU will really be a great coup since we didn't recruit him before.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not sure every Big12 team will be improved next season. I kind of expect a drop off from both Baylor and KSU. Not sure what WV and TCU are bringing in, best guess is that WV will be good and TCU will not be.

Having said that, 20 wins and an NCAA berth are what I'll be looking for next season.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    I'm not sure we gain a big advantage next year as Spangler must sit out a year based on transfer rules and didn't I read that Bennett wanted to redshirt or was that someone else? I do think it's very good for our future past next year. I think Cousins may have been a steal, Bennett has very good potential along with Spangler, whom I think, based on his desire to be at OU will really be a great coup since we didn't recruit him before.
    Korcheck (the kid we lost to 'zona) wanted to redshirt. Also, Arent wanted to redshirt last year but had to play due to having little depth.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I'm not so sure about the 20 wins unless we really cupcake things up. I think we won't be able to get to that many W's.

I think about 18 is it.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Korcheck (the kid we lost to 'zona) wanted to redshirt. Also, Arent wanted to redshirt last year but had to play due to having little depth.
    Thanks! That must have been what I was thinking about!

Administrator
    vCash

Hield excites me the most out of any of the new class. I think the kid will see a lot of playing time as a freshman. It's nice to have the size addition with Bennett, and I don't think we can forget about Skeeter's boy (Jarion). If he's anything like his dad, it'll at least be exciting.

Hard to say at this point, but unless something weird happens, we should have an better squad/results next year.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

There's a lot of pressure on a lot of coaches for 20 wins and a postseason berth... but they're not all paying their coaches $2.5 mil like we are.

I think it's perfectly fair that when you pay your coach like a NCAA tourney berth coach, he gets you an NCAA tourney berth.

So yeah, it's time for the NCAA tourney berths. I'd settle for NIT berth this upcoming season though, just to see that things are going in the right direction.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Hield excites me the most out of any of the new class. I think the kid will see a lot of playing time as a freshman. It's nice to have the size addition with Bennett, and I don't think we can forget about Skeeter's boy (Jarion). If he's anything like his dad, it'll at least be exciting.

Hard to say at this point, but unless something weird happens, we should have an better squad/results next year.
    Skeeter's boy is headed to juco...guess I should say I thought I read that...be nice if not...but with the 5 ships (not mentioning him) they said we were over 1...Blair is suppose to transfer...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!