Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Ridiculously early but aw, what the heck bowl projections

Interesting matchup. It's been a while since we played a Big 10 team in Arizona. Oh, wait.....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ls/predictions
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Ridiculously early but aw, what the heck bowl projections

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Meineke Car Care of Texas TBA Houston, Tex. Big 12 No. 6 vs. Big Ten No. 6 Texas vs. Penn State
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I predict OU will indeed be invited to a bowl game this season.

vCash

Given that Oklahoma's scoring defense will be at 0.0 this upcoming season, I have a hard time not seeing the Sooners in the BCS title game.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jumperstop's Avatar
    vCash

I used to like the BCS....back when I thought it matched the best to the best, or at least the good to the good. But getting stuck in Tempe year after year, playing to "leftovers" really sucks....It seems like we never get paired with a conference champion like these other BCS bowl games do. And before you say it, I know that every team we've played has been a conference champ there. But are you kidding me? ****ing stupid Big Least Champ that is a lose lose situation. Why does the Rose Bowl always get Pac-12 vs B1G? Where the Fiesta Bowl gets Big 12 and whoever is left over. And of course in the one year we have the chance of going to another bowl location....it's in the same ****ing location. They really need to redo the BCS bowl tie-ins.

vCash

Fiesta Bowl? Sounds like a great year. Just hope our one or 2 losses isnt to Tech or OSU and/or of course, tu. (texas = tu)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Geeze, I wanted a GoDaddy.com bowl invite, just to see what we'd do.

vCash

Tanya Harding and Jeff Gillouli(sp) need to kneecap the condoms. Effing UCLA needs to get off their tushes and recruit some of those all-stars away from the usucs.

I live in PHX, but am not rilly all that excited about having OU come to Glendale to play...again. We should be in the Rose Bowl playing the Nike Quackers.

tOSU must not be bowl eligible. Didn't see them anywhere.

Bring on the 8 teamPlayoffs!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I am not 'on board' with USC being that good this year. Might be wrong, but not sold.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jumperstop's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I am not 'on board' with USC being that good this year. Might be wrong, but not sold.
    I certainly think they could win the Pac-12, but I can't see them living up to the hype all season. They are almost as bad as us in dropping one or two each year that they shouldn't.

Sooner Benchwarmer Always_Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Can we at least work a deal with the Orange Bowl to get the Big 12 Champion the automatic bid?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    IMO it's partly about them being very talented (sanctions haven't really torn into their depth yet thanks to that huge class they signed just before the penalties came down), & partly about their schedule.

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

Who on there should they not be a solid (& Oregon is the only reason I don't use the word huge instead of solid) favorite against?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Always_Sooner View Post
    Can we at least work a deal with the Orange Bowl to get the Big 12 Champion the automatic bid?
    When we went from Big 8 to Big 12, was that when we moved from going to the Orange Bowl to the Fiesta? I know, I could look it up... Sorry guys, we don't have a beach nor an ocean here in PHX.

Also, why did the Cotton Bowl get dropped as a major, and the Fiesta replacing it?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner Benchwarmer Always_Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Exactly right.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Always_Sooner View Post
    Now that WVU is in the league, and we've got a toe hold on the East Coast, we should be more marketable to the Orange.

There's been talk about adding other East or Southeastern teams (South Fla, Louisville, etc), and I think if we did eventually add one of these, we'd be very attractive for Miami.

You could argue that a 10-team league with one Eastern team is not much more attractive than a 10-team league with no Eastern teams, but consider having the one Eastern team will buy the Big 12 year-round media attention in the Eastern TV markets
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    When we went from Big 8 to Big 12, was that when we moved from going to the Orange Bowl to the Fiesta? I know, I could look it up... Sorry guys, we don't have a beach nor an ocean here in PHX.

Also, why did the Cotton Bowl get dropped as a major, and the Fiesta replacing it?

When we went from Big 8 to Big 12, was that when we moved from going to the Orange Bowl to the Fiesta? YES. The old Big 8 was attractive to the Orange Bowl, so one would think that adding the four TX schools would have made the Big XII MORE attractive to them. Maybe the Fiesta just paid more? I never knew what drove the bowl change from Miami to Tempe (later Glendale). I just remember Bebe bragging about negotiating the deal with the Fiesta. So I am sure that the Univ of Texas was behind the whole thing. And now we know that the Fiesta was/has been corrupt from top to bottom, so that's more evidence that UT was behind the whole thing. They probable saw Fiesta as a near home game for themselves, or as close as they could get considering that the Cotton was downgraded and the Sugar had decades-long tie in with SEC.

Good question. The Fiesta started as a minor bowl. You might remember what a disappointment for OU to play in it back in 1976. But they were aggressive in building a brand, and spending money to get ahead. They really became a major bowl in 1986 when two independents (Univ of Miami and Penn St) were both undefeated and ranked 1 & 2. It was almost impossible to match up 1&2 when both were independents, because all the big bowls had conference tie ins. But the Fiesta was still "small" so it had two at large slots.

It went out and raised the money to double or triple its pay out, hired UM and PSU to play in their bowl, and overnight became the 5th bowl. The were ambitious, innovative and aggressive. (And as stated above, corrupt as well, although that probable didn't determine their overall success in becoming a major bowl.)

The Cotton was exactly the opposite. They played in a falling down, back water stadium in a cold weather city. They never did anything to distinguish themselves, and kept falling back on 60s and 70s era thinking about "tradition" to maintain their standing as a major bowl.

When in came time to stand up the Bowl Alliance, the Cotton just didn't make the cut.

In short, when college football morphed into a global TV market in the 80s, the Cotton, run by Dallas businessmen, fell back on their Southwest Conference traditions and failed to innovate.

Probably UT had something to do with that, too. =)
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

vCash

I WANT HOME AND HOME WITH THE COWS!!! Now that we've let a Metroplex team(TCU) into the big 12, there's prolly going to be EVEN MORE hostility from the local fans and media when go to play the cows in that old-fashioned has-been bowl, on the 2nd saturday in October, each year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    I WANT HOME AND HOME WITH THE COWS!!! Now that we've let a Metroplex team(TCU) into the big 12, there's prolly going to be EVEN MORE hostility from the local fans and media when go to play the cows in that old-fashioned has-been bowl, on the 2nd saturday in October, each year.

Sooner Benchwarmer Harris County Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Rutgers in the Orange? How quaint.
    "To this day, Schnellenberger is not held in high esteem by Sooner fans, in part because he made no secret of his lack of interest in the program's history."