Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

GOP Big Wig Jumps Ship

Most people have probably never heard of Roger Stone, but he's a titan in the world of GOP consulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stone Statement
    Roger J. Stone Jr, the celebrated political consultant, lobbyist and strategist, and youngest staffer on Richard Nixon’s 1972 re-election campaign, announced Wednesday that he has quit the Republican Party. Stone - who has been noted for his use of opposition research for Republican candidates - is now registered as a Libertarian.

From the StoneZone.com:

“I registered to vote as a Republican the same day I turned 18. I registered so I could vote for Richard Nixon's re-election in 1972. I was excited to join the party of Lincoln, Eisenhower, and Reagan. For one year before leaving for college I served on the Westchester (NY) Republican County Committee.

While living in Washington's Virginia suburbs, I served on the Arlington County Republican Committee and later the Alexandria Republican City Committee. I served as Young Republican National Chairman from 1977-1979 having been elected in Nashville to follow in the footsteps of Congressman Herbert Warburton, Congressman John Ashbrook, Congressman Donald E. "Buz" Lukens, and Governor Don Sundquist.

I have worked on the campaign staff of Republican candidates in twelve national Republican Presidential campaigns. I was the youngest staffer at President Nixon's 1972 re-election committee, famously known as the Committee to Re-elect the President, or CREEP, as it became known.

In 1976, I was appointed National Director of Youth For Reagan by Senator Paul Laxalt, chairman of Citizens For Reagan. In 1980, I served as Northeast Regional Political Director for Ronald Reagan serving with skilled political operatives like Charlie Black, Frank Donatelli, Drew Lewis, J. Kenneth Klinge, Lou Kitchin, Paul Manafort and 1968 Reagan campaign veterans Frank Whetstone and Anderson Carter.

In 1984 I reprised this role in the Reagan-Bush re-election campaign, taking on Ohio in addition to the northeastern states. I worked for Jack Kemp for president in 1988. Later in 1988, I took the title of Senior Consultant and flew to California at the direction of Bush campaign manager Jim Baker to salvage California where George H.W. Bush beat Governor Mike Dukakis by a thin one percent.

I'm happy to say I sat out the Bush 41 re-election campaign. It was a total fiasco Without Roger Ailes the campaign fizzled. In 2000, I went to Miami-Dade to supervise recount efforts, again at the request of James A. Baker III. The rest is, of course, history.

In 1976 conservative activists like National Review Publisher Bill Rusher, direct-mail genius Richard Viguerie and former Harvard College Republican Chairman and Nixon administration OEO Director Howard Philips began arguing for the abandonment of the Republican party for a new third party, largely because of the influence of the Rockefeller-Ford wing of the GOP. I argued in barrooms across Washington against this plan because I remembered Barry Goldwater's admonition to conservatives at the 1960 Republican Convention that "this Party's our historic home. If we want to take this party back, and I think we can someday, lets get to work."

I have always enjoyed being in the party of giants like Roscoe Conkling, Eisenhower, Theodore Roosevelt, Robert A. Taft, Thomas E. Dewey, Joe McCarthy, Henry Cabot Lodge and his brother Governor John Davis Lodge, Everett Dirksen, Caleb Boggs, John Williams, Homer Capehart, Bill Jenner, Nelson Rockefeller, George Murphy, Barry Goldwater, Walter Judd, Bill Scranton, Strom Thurmond, Jack Kemp, Bob Dole, Tom Kean, and Hamilton Fish Sr. and Jr.

Like every good Republican I hated FDR, Eleanor Roosevelt, Tip O'Neill, George McGovern, Jimmy Carter, and Teddy Kennedy. I have a tattoo of Richard Nixon on my back not because I admire his policies, but because I admire his drive and resilience.

On Monday, I left the Republican Party changing my Florida voter registration to the Libertarian Party. There are 25,000 of us registered Libertarians in Florida.

Sadly, Eisenhower, Nixon, and Reagan wouldn't recognize today's Republican Party. The GOP went from being a Main Street party under Ronald Reagan to being the Wall Street Party again under both Bush's. Bush 41 broke his "no new taxes" pledge and President George W. Bush's new entitlement programs and reckless spending made us the party of big spending and big government.

Meanwhile social conservatives in the party demand Litmus tests on issues like abortion and gay marriage equality from those who share their conservative economic and foreign policy views making a cohesive coalition of social and economic conservatives ultimately impossible.

Sadly the difference between the two major parties has become rhetorical. Under the Democrats you're going to hell. Under the Republicans, you are still going to hell but you are going more slowly.

To real conservatives the freedom of the individual is paramount. No one should be able to tell you what you can eat, drink, smoke, or marry, or what kind of gun you can own. We don't want to be snooped on by an all-knowing big brother government. That is the essence of liberty. The Republican Party has become both a party of big government but also an authoritarian party that would tell us how to live.

That the Republican Party can only produce Mitt Romney who was an independent during the Reagan-Bush years (and only converted to conservatism after serving one term as governor never intending to run for re-election while always planning to run for president), Newt Gingrich, a thrice married ego-maniac with delusions of grandeur and Rick Santorum, a religious fanatic, who would tell other people how to live, as presidential candidates proves the GOP may be going the way as the Whigs.

I fervently hoped that Donald Trump would run for president. Trump is a big thinker, with the kind of toughness and guile you need to be a successful negotiator and a successful president. While it is popular among elites to snicker at Trump his connection to average Americans and working people cannot be denied. As Neil Cavuto of Fox Business News said "No one draws ratings like Trump."

To put it bluntly the Republican Party is hopelessly f*cked up.

My first experience with the Libertarian Party was in New York where a small faction of anarchists held a state convention while refusing to allow all candidates access to the rules and a list of the voting delegates. Joe Stalin would have been proud of the tactics used to nominate a non-libertarian registered Republican who had only recently run as a candidate for the left-wing Green Party. But these childish tactics are not the norm in the largely democratic Libertarian Party. I have found Libertarian Party activists in California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Colorado, Washington, and Michigan have proven to be democratic, reasonable, dedicated and interested in victory.

The Libertarian Party stands for both economic and personal freedom. Libertarians oppose spending, debt, taxes, big government, and costly foreign wars where our national interests are not clear. We support a woman's right to choose an abortion, gay marriage equality, and the legalization of marijuana.

The Ron Paul revolution shows me a Libertarian moment is coming. It will gather momentum in 2012 and most likely manifest itself in 2016. Ron Paul's incredibly strong support among young voters is the tip-off. American voters have never been offered a presidential candidate who took conservative positions on fiscal issues like spending, debt, and taxes, while taking freedom-based (i.e. liberal) positions on choice, gay marriage, and drug-law reform. This is clearly where a majority of Americans are.

I voted for Ron Paul in the Florida Republican Primary in my last official act as a Republican. I leave the GOP with a heavy heart. Theodore Roosevelt left the party in 1912 and he came back. Ron Paul left the party in 1988 and he came back. I don't think I will have the opportunity to come back. As the Republicans were to the Whigs in 1852, the Libertarians are to the Republicans.

Goodbye Grand Old Party.”

Roger Stone

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

Re: GOP Big Wig Jumps Ship

Excellent write up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Super, Sicem, if Dear Leader is re-elected, the whole country is SO screwed. Don't vote 3rd party, and thereby award the Obear another license to steal...and persecute.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!:3454547
    Fall in line with our corrupt and misguided establishment to defeat another corrupt establishment.
    No thanks!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Super, Sicem, if Dear Leader is re-elected, the whole country is SO screwed. Don't vote 3rd party, and thereby award the Obear another license to steal...and persecute.
    we might as well change the name if he wins

something like "USSA" sounds catchy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    we might as well change the name if he wins

something like "USSA" sounds catchy
    Name changing will be the least of our worries.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerhubs View Post
    I'll buy your 3rd party crap and wonder how Obama got re-elected, Sicem
    That's some heads-up politics there, guy!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member XingTheRubicon's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah, if todays Pubs could only be more like Reagan, you know, the guy who didn't mention the word "AIDS" in public until 40,000 citizens had died from the disease.

Today's politicians don't suck as bad as we'd want to imagine...the American people suck. These guys are just trying to cater to us, the most entitled, divided, and spoiled group of people on Earth.

....and now please direct your attention to the field and J. Clayton Feaver will lead us in a moment of prayer...

"......please protect these young men from injury and for one and all to exhibit good sportsmanship.....IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN

-J Clayton Feaver

Enjoy

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TUSooner's Avatar
    Inside your monitor. Hit it with a hammer to release me and get 3 wishes.
    vCash

My favorite part:
    Meanwhile social conservatives in the party demand Litmus tests on issues like abortion and gay marriage equality from those who share their conservative economic and foreign policy views making a cohesive coalition of social and economic conservatives ultimately impossible.... The Republican Party has become both a party of big government but also an authoritarian party that would tell us how to live.

That the Republican Party can only produce Mitt Romney who was an independent during the Reagan-Bush years..., Newt Gingrich, a thrice married ego-maniac with delusions of grandeur and Rick Santorum, a religious fanatic, who would tell other people how to live, as presidential candidates proves the GOP may be going the way as the Whigs.
    You tell me it's the institution. Well, you know, you'd better free your mind instead.
    (Shoo-bee doo-wah)

vCash

Their race to the bottom continues unabated.

I'm not the only one with that viewpoint.

They are kamikaze-ing themselves screaming holy scripture and racial epithets as they flame out.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Mind you that the Dems long ago utterly sold their azzes to the unions and welfare recipients.
    So, it's about even at this stage.

thus we have a race that any decent Republican candidate who could fog a mirror should be able to win by 20 points going away....and it'll be a dog fight that Obama will very likely win.

What's that old saw about tragedy and farce?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Your fear is showing, Libz. OH PLEEZE, tell us who you think we should choose for the R nominee. haha

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Mind you that the Dems long ago utterly sold their azzes to the unions and welfare recipients.
    So, it's about even at this stage.

thus we have a race that any decent Republican candidate who could fog a mirror should be able to win by 20 points going away....and it'll be a dog fight that OBAMA VERY LIKELY WILL WIN.

What's that old saw about tragedy and farce?
    only if some foolish, vindictive or paid-off perceived conservative is a 3rd party candidate.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Yeah, if todays Pubs could only be more like Reagan, you know, the guy who didn't mention the word "AIDS" in public until 40,000 citizens had died from the disease.

Today's politicians don't suck as bad as we'd want to imagine...the American people suck. These guys are just trying to cater to us, the most entitled, divided, and spoiled group of people on Earth.
    The ol we get what we deserve angle? I tend to agree with ya to a large degree on that.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

WOW!
    You scared me for a moment.....I thought that it was Litt Romney!
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Even if Obama wins, I don't expect the donks to take both houses. They might not take either. I would expect a stalemated second term.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If the Republicans don't sweep everything in 2012, it will not be the end of the world.

Unchecked one-sided governments lead to wacky legislation and unpopular ideas forced down our throats (like Obamacare).

Pick a winning battle here: Cheer on having a Republican majority House or Republican majority Senate if you can't have a Republican president.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    unpopular ideas forced down our throats (like Obamacare).
    The majority of Americans favor the Affordable Care Act and the individual mandate.

It's not unanimous but is hardly unpopular.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...rance-mandate/

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    The majority of Americans favor the Affordable Care Act and the individual mandate.

Sometimes it takes time for facts to catch up to demagoguery.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post

I like that you are acknowledging that it is not unanimous, but I would like you to try to be a bit more on this one --- they aren't forcing the legislation through now. They forced it through in 2010.

I will also give and take a bit in this debate: Many unpopular ideas - unpopular when passed by Congress - have passed the history books test. Voters might have hated some things that our elected leaders decided for us at the time, but in retrospect, they were good decisions. Perhaps the same thing will be said after awhile about Obamacare.

However, I don't think there's any doubt that voters were unhappy when this was shoved down their throats in 2010, hence the giant turnover in Congress from Dem to Rep that cost the left its majority in the House and nearly cost it the Senate, too.