Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Catholic church wants to force its religious views on all its non-Catholic employees

It is outrageous to me that the Catholic church is demanding the right to tell its non-Catholic employees at hospitals and other non-religious tentacles of their vast operation that they can't have access to birth control because THEY think they know what's best for them.

Talk about imposing your religious views on others.

Hooray for the feds for telling them to shove it.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/07/146512...-birth-control
    Last edited by SoonerPride; 2/7/2012 at 02:01 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Catholic church wants to force its religious views on all its non-Catholic employ

It looks like they just need to replace a bunch of the non-Catholics with Catholics.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Catholic church wants to force its religious views on all its non-Catholic employ

What about the Catholics who use birth control. (a slight majority, last time I checked.)
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerAtKU's Avatar
    vCash

Then those people are disobedient Catholics and are subject to punishment including excommunication, correct?

vCash

The linked article really has nothing to do with that. If the majority of the employees where Catholic, the Church could exclude BC pills from their health insurance coverage. Really, a simple solution.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

No doubt they'll receive a waiver from being required to participate in "Obamacare", just like the Unions did.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    No doubt they'll receive a waiver from being required to participate in "Obamacare", just like the Unions did.
    A $60,000,000,000 waiver.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 47straight's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960 View Post
    The linked article really has nothing to do with that. If the majority of the employees where Catholic, the Church could exclude BC pills from their health insurance coverage. Really, a simple solution.
    They'd also have to discriminate on who they served. So only helping the homeless who were Catholic. Lovely solution!
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 47straight View Post
    They'd also have to discriminate on who they served. So only helping the homeless who were Catholic. Lovely solution!
    I thought the article was employer provided health insurance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    It is outrageous to me that the Catholic church is demanding the right to tell its non-Catholic employees at hospitals and other non-religious tentacles of their vast operation that they can't have access to birth control because THEY think they know what's best for them.

'

You didn't buy me a Bible. Stop forcing your religious beliefs on me and go buy me a Bible. Hardly any freedom or right is more precious than the right of the press and speech. It is safe and legal. If you don't like the Bible, you don't have to read it. But you must buy it for me. I cannot believe you want to deny me access to the most popular book in existence.

Further, if you don't donate at least $750k to groups that hand out the Bible, you're a bully.
    “Some people who attend the University of Oklahoma seem to represent different values than some people who attend the University of Texas.” -- Mr. J. Mcfarland

"[Christian Scott]'s off the team the day of the incident and I guarantee you he won't be back." -- Typical Dallas horn fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInTN View Post
    Don't work there if you don't want to meet their standards. Pretty simple solution. If they can't hire people, then they will be forced to change their ways or close their doors.

You lefties whine about getting religion out of government. Hypocritical for government to meddle in religion.
    Last I checked a hospital isn't a church.

I could be wrong though.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960 View Post
    I thought the article was employer provided health insurance.
    With stipulations that if you violate your religious beliefs and only serve other people with your own religious beliefs, you don't have to violate your religious beliefs with the insurance plan.

vCash

Last I checked a hospital isn't a church.

I could be wrong though.
    Last I checked some churches teach healing the sick, serving the poor, educating people as a required thing. You know, the things that you'd harp on if they didn't do?

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

This is a very gray area, isn't it? Is the Catholic Church acting as a non-profit that would therefore be allowed to exercise its own opinion on promoting its own causes through its own employees, or is it a private employer, subject to government regulation regarding employee rights and freedoms?

I would fully expect a Catholic priest to be "fired" ("defrocked" is the term, right? I'm not Catholic) if they were found to be leading a life contrary to Catholic principles... even a Catholic church's administrative assistant, janitor or gardener, for that matter. But a Catholic hospital's doctor?

It really depends on what your expectation of a Catholic hospital is compared with a non-Catholic hospital. Do you expect to receive a religious experience and environment in addition to hospital care, or just the same care you would receive at any hospital?

I once had to take someone to the emergency room and the closest hospital was a Catholic one. My expectation at 2 in the morning was straight-up medical care. No prayers, no sermon, no leaflet on the dangers of birth control.

In cases of emergency, I can see others feeling the same way. However, for extended care, I could see people expecting a more religious experience.

Thus... a gray area.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    This is a very gray area, isn't it? Is the Catholic Church acting as a non-profit that would therefore be allowed to exercise its own opinion on promoting its own causes through its own employees, or is it a private employer, subject to government regulation regarding employee rights and freedoms?

I would fully expect a Catholic priest to be "fired" ("defrocked" is the term, right? I'm not Catholic) if they were found to be leading a life contrary to Catholic principles... even a Catholic church's administrative assistant, janitor or gardener, for that matter. But a Catholic hospital's doctor?

It really depends on what your expectation of a Catholic hospital is compared with a non-Catholic hospital. Do you expect to receive a religious experience and environment in addition to hospital care, or just the same care you would receive at any hospital?

I once had to take someone to the emergency room and the closest hospital was a Catholic one. My expectation at 2 in the morning was straight-up medical care. No prayers, no sermon, no leaflet on the dangers of birth control.

In cases of emergency, I can see others feeling the same way. However, for extended care, I could see people expecting a more religious experience.

Thus... a gray area.
    Considering that those who built the hospital were religiously motivated to build the hospital, I find it peculiar that you would determine that the mission, character, and purpose of the hospital were to be defined only by your expectations.

And before anyone goes on the slippery slope ride of, for example, a hospital that doesn't treat HIV because they hate gay people, why not take a ride on the much more obvious and imminent slippery slope of requiring all doctors and hospitals to perform abortion and euthanasia (in Oregon today, elsewhere tomorrow) on-demand? After all, some people may sincerely and expect it.

But back to your original point - it is interesting that the State has moved so much more into domains such as feeding the poor, healing the sick, and educating people that the Catholic Church (and many other churches and charities) have been doing for hundreds/thousands of years. To the churches, they are doing what they've always been doing. To some of the State, there should be a Separation of Church and Hospital. That's probably a natural outcome with growing calls for food, healthcare, and shelter to be considered rights. If it's a right, then the State should step in. And if it's a right, it must be paid for.

The jump, to me, is the argument that because it's a right, A should pay for/provide it directly for B. The argument isn't even that A must pay for B through taxes.
    Last edited by 47straight; 2/7/2012 at 06:10 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

I'm hard pressed to see where subsidized birth control is an inalienable right, so I couldn't give two ****s if they take this off of their insurance plans. Every employee at that hospital is free to take the money he/she earns from that place and walk his/her *** over to a Walgreens and make the necessary purchases.

Sounds like a bunch of spoiled candy-asses to me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

If your told up front, "Our insurnace does not provide birth control" you do not have to accept the job. And if you work there you are free to find a differant job.
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUHOMER View Post
    If your told up front, "Our insurnace does not provide birth control" you do not have to accept the job. And if you work there you are free to find a differant job.
    Same argument gets made against minimum wage and health & safety standards. No comment on whether it's a good argument.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AlboSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Let's impose your views on the catholic church. Your exclusivity is better than theirs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AlboSooner View Post
    Let's impose your views on the catholic church. Your exclusivity is better than theirs.
    Oh no, I don't want to impose anything on any CHURCH.

They're free to believe whatever nonsense about talking snakes and people living inside of whales that suits their fancy.

However, employers who are not churches under law must provide equal access to medical care to their employees. This is already the law of the land in 28 sates. So the big brouhaha has less to do with the government mandating anything to anyone and more to do with the Catholic church looking to pick a fight.

And polls show the majority of their own parishoners think they are wrong.