SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Did he think this one through?

Quarterback Kyle Padron transferring from SMU

By Kate Hairopoulos / Reporter

3:23 PM on Sat., Jan. 28, 2012

Quarterback Kyle Padron is transferring from SMU after asking for and receiving his release from the program, according to a source. Padron's father, Larry, confirmed the decision. Padron was out of town Saturday and not immediately available for comment.

Former Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert is enrolling at SMU in June and Padron was expected to compete with Gilbert for playing time this fall.

Padron's career took a turn in 2011 when he was benched after throwing two quick interceptions in the season-opener at Texas A&M, despite being SMU's starter for the previous season and a half.

Padron played sparingly in just three games before suffering a season-ending back injury.

Padron appeared the clear-cut starter entering the season after passing for 3,828 yards and 31 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2010, though he had still struggled with accuracy and consistency in the Run and Shoot.

As a freshman out of Southlake Carroll in 2009, Padron was thrust into action when starter Bo Levi Mitchell was injured midway through the season. Padron didn't relinquish the job when Mitchell recovered. Padron capped the season by being named MVP of the Mustangs' 45-10 win over Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl, going 32-of-41 for 460 yards and two touchdowns.

SMU had planned on Padron using 2011 as a redshirt season so that he would have two years of eligibility remaining.

He started 21 straight games until getting pulled after the season opener last year so unless the kid has grade issues at SMU or was dumped by a girl, he should consider that Gilby may not be the second coming of Don Meredith and conceivably, could win the starting QB position or reclaim it from GG after a game or two.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Did he think this one through?

College football can seem cruel at times when the football gods stop smiling on the young athlete... another good reason to emphasize the educational aspect of a student-athlete.

SMU = good education that you won't get as starting quarterback at a D2 or I-AA program.

Perhaps it's time to hedge your bets. GG has screwed up before at the college level and there's still a good chance you can beat him out for playing time or the starting job. Playing time promises go out the window when a team's losing (as GG discovered at Texas).

You can still get an SMU education AND be the Pony QB starter... unless you transfer. Then you get neither.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerTerry's Avatar
    vCash

1. The kid get benched after what sounds like a bad quarter(?) of play with 2 quick picks. So he feels the coaches have lost confidence in him.

2. Gilbrt Grape coming in from UTerous. (coaches are probable walking around patting themselvs on the back)

Sounds like unless this kid had a bad attitude the coaches are giving him the raw end of the deal.

I hope wherever he lands he has a great season and great carreer.
    I fly fake airplanes

vCash

If SMU doesn't think GG is the 2nd coming....you'd think they would be trying to get Padron to calm down and think it through so maybe you have your answer right there. Sounds like they might have told Padron they want him to compete. He looks at them and says....I don't need your free education....I came here to play QB for SMU.

Great read about Southlake here...

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2557

Might explain why he just walks out.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

wow....didn't think he would transfer. unless he's fed up with June Jones, I thought he would have stayed and battled it out. Doesn't Gilbert have to sit out a season anyway? Or did he get some sort of loophole?

Administrator
    vCash

I think the writing on the wall was in neon letters. I happened to watch the first quarter of the SMU/A&M game, and Padron was clearly in way over his head. I'm guessing the coaches made it pretty clear to him that he was going to be working from behind.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

June Jones isn't exactly known for being a coach that quarterbacks always get along with.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouleaf View Post
    wow....didn't think he would transfer. unless he's fed up with June Jones, I thought he would have stayed and battled it out. Doesn't Gilbert have to sit out a season anyway? Or did he get some sort of loophole?
    Gilbert didnt play last year right?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D View Post
    June Jones isn't exactly known for being a coach that quarterbacks always get along with.
    Very true, which also is (IMO) the reason for a lot of his success. He doesn't let one guy dictate his position selection. He's about the team improving, and I think a lot of college QBs think they "deserve" the starting spot just because they are left standing by attrition.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    He totally did. Remember the BYU @ UT game

vCash

Also, LOL at this:

vCash

Empty grape containers

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

There are two schools of thought . . .

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerAtKU's Avatar
    vCash

Yeah, doesn't GG have to sit a year for the transfer? I know the Texas coaches were working on some sort of medical hardship or waiver of some sort to try to let him scrape together an extra year somewhere.

I honestly think Mack kinda did right by the kid in the end, after all of the mismanagement. He let him go out with a "shoulder injury" that gets him off the hook for being yanked and potentially nets him another year down the road if he misses more time at SMU.

vCash

We could snicker and laugh at Texas taking arguably the best quarterback prospect of the class and ruining his reputation, but they could probably say the same thing for us and Bomar... although I think we could safely argue that it was a completely different scenario.

On one hand, GG probably deserves another year of eligibility since he lost one year when Colt went down in the title game (or did he do mopup duty earlier that season?), and lost another year after a "shoulder injury" (saving face move, hmmm???) last season.

I feel bad for him... kid from Austin, top prospect in the country, goes to his dream school and has nothing but bad luck and probably a lot of glaring burnt orange eyes staring down at him. More than 200,000 of them every Saturday

vCash

And SMU ends up with no QB because Mack is such a nice guy.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rekamrettuB's Avatar
    vCash

Be great if he ends up being pretty damn good under Jones...ala GJ Kinne.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    And SMU ends up with no QB because Mack is such a nice guy.
    Hehe, if June Jones can't find a quarterback, being campus in the heart of DFW area and a D-1 program in a BCS conference (for now, hehe), then probably shouldn't be blamed.

Now... how many quarterbacks qualify academically for SMU? That might be something that holds June back from recruiting the Vince Youngs of Texas high school football

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    He totally did. Remember the BYU @ UT game
    OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT!

LOLZ!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

Keep in mind, this isn't the first QB that Jones has run off while at SMU.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead