Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Judge orders woman to give up password to hard drive

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...-to-hard-drive

What say you, amateur legal geniuses of the SO? Does this violate the 5th amendment?
    Atheist.

vCash

Re: Judge orders woman to give up password to hard drive

Is this different than enforcing a search warrant against your will?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rekamrettuB's Avatar
    vCash

Hell if she doesn't give it to them I'm sure they have folks that can hack it. Probably just trying to save some money. If the laptop was seized as part of the investigation then she needs to give it up. Otherwise the judge will probably see her as not cooperating.

I am no lawyer. Somebody grade my response. I'm sure I'm way off. Common sense rarely is correct.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

vCash

She has the right to remain silent, IMHO . **** em
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Viking Kitten's Avatar
    vCash

I can see the Fifth Amendment argument. Seize the computer and hack away, but don't expect her to incriminate herself.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Kitten View Post
    I can see the Fifth Amendment argument. Seize the computer and hack away, but don't expect her to incriminate herself.
    What SHE said
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

**** the crooked bitch.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Gotta love the EFF

It's not trivial to break encryption like that

Personally, I'd be afraid of forgetting my password...

vCash

I don't agree with the Judge at all. I know that if I was a prosecutor, I'd argue that there could not possibly be anything incriminating about the actual password, therefore, her 5th Amendment rights were irrelevant. That said, I think that is a pretty dangerous line of thinking. It'd be just like holding someone in contempt for not telling the police where the murder weapon was. Hopefully, this Judge is overturned. I really disagree with that line of thinking.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I don't agree with the Judge at all. I know that if I was a prosecutor, I'd argue that there could not possibly be anything incriminating about the actual password, therefore, her 5th Amendment rights were irrelevant. That said, I think that is a pretty dangerous line of thinking. It'd be just like holding someone in contempt for not telling the police where the murder weapon was. Hopefully, this Judge is overturned. I really disagree with that line of thinking.
    Well hell, WE can agree on some things

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    Gotta love the EFF

It's not trivial to break encryption like that

Personally, I'd be afraid of forgetting my password...
    I hate that when it happens....

vCash

It's pretty scary what's happening to our civil liberties. This particular case isn't all that bad as this is just a lone wolf federal judge who has made a pretty disturbing decision. It doesn't set precedent, so outside of this individual case, where the turd probably deserves to at least be made to sweat, it's not a big *** deal (yet). The problem is that this isn't just a single decision floating out there on an island. Our 4th and 5th Amendment rights are basically experiencing death by papercuts. An exception here, an exception there, and pretty soon, the rights are meaningless.

The SCOTUS made a great unanimous decision the other day, which said that a warrant is now required for GPS trackers. That's a step in the right direction. It gives me hope that no matter how many conservative or liberal judges we have up there, our civil liberties matter.

vCash

It's pretty scary what's happening to our civil liberties. This particular case isn't all that bad as this is just a lone wolf federal judge who has made a pretty disturbing decision. It doesn't set precedent, so outside of this individual case, where the turd probably deserves to at least be made to sweat, it's not a big *** deal (yet). The problem is that this isn't just a single decision floating out there on an island. Our 4th and 5th Amendment rights are basically experiencing death by papercuts. An exception here, an exception there, and pretty soon, the rights are meaningless.

The SCOTUS made a great unanimous decision the other day, which said that a warrant is now required for GPS trackers. That's a step in the right direction. It gives me hope that no matter how many conservative or liberal judges we have up there, our civil liberties matter.

But, But, But . If Ya aint doing anything wrong,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    But, But, But . If Ya aint doing anything wrong,
    The federal criminal code is around 50 titles long and 23,000 pages. You probably can't even pass gas without violating something in those books. It's a fine line between a free society and a police state, and those civil liberties are that fine line.

vCash

The federal criminal code is around 50 titles long and 23,000 pages. You probably can't even pass gas without violating something in those books. It's a fine line between a free society and a police state, and those civil liberties are that fine line.
    Im in agreement with you on this . Its that so many have said that here i was just bringing it back up

party pooper
    vCash

Question: Imagine one had a safe that was impossible to break into without the key. (yes, I know no such thing exists, but imagine for a minute that it does. If that's too much for you, imagine that breaking into it without the key would result in the destruction of everything inside). Is it a violation of civil rights for a judge to order the owner of the safe to turn over the key to that safe?

This seems fairly analogous to what is being done here.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Not federal but...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1111117581109
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    That reminds me of a case we read in law school back in my 1L days... A shock jock radio host was hosting some sort of anti-smoking fella. To tick him off, he lit up a big stogie and blew smoke in the guy's face. Sumbitch took it to trial on a civil assault charge and won a whole dollar. It held up on appeal because the particulate matter of the smoke was enough to create the contact required for a battery.

I guess the particulate matter of a fart would also be enough to constitute a battery. Never had considered it 'til now...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    That reminds me of a case we read in law school back in my 1L days... A shock jock radio host was hosting some sort of anti-smoking fella. To tick him off, he lit up a big stogie and blew smoke in the guy's face. Sumbitch took it to trial on a civil assault charge and won a whole dollar. It held up on appeal because the particulate matter of the smoke was enough to create the contact required for a battery.

I guess the particulate matter of a fart would also be enough to constitute a battery. Never had considered it 'til now...

vCash

Well that would stink