SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

Do kids send thank-you notes any longer?

When I was a hatchling, every Christmas* morning my father would have a notepad and pen and write down every gift I received, as well as who the sender was.

Within a week after New Year's Day, I would have to sit down and write thank-you notes to each and every relative and family friend on his list. This lasted well into my teen years. I did something similar with my own daughters.

Does this still happen in families? Has email replaced the mailed note/letter?

*Birthday too.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Do kids send thank-you notes any longer?

I had to when I was younger, and I HATED it. Now I usually open the present in front of everybody, so they just get a thank you and a hug on the spot.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I had to when I was younger, and I HATED it. Now I usually open the present in front of everybody, so they just get a thank you and a hug on the spot.
    I did it for graduation. But I think Facebook/Twitter/Email has replaced the need for old-fashioned correspondence.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oudavid1 View Post
    I did it for graduation. But I think Facebook/Twitter/Email has replaced the need for old-fashioned correspondence.
    The important thing is that you thank them, not the method. I feel the same way about Christmas correspondence --- even if you don't get a chance to contact family and friends the rest of the year, you better let them know that you love them and appreciate them at least during the holidays!

Without thank yous and without Christmas correspondence, they'd probably forget that you existed, much like you seem to have forgotten about them

did I just guilt you all into sending thank yous?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The important thing is that you thank them, not the method. I feel the same way about Christmas correspondence --- even if you don't get a chance to contact family and friends the rest of the year, you better let them know that you love them and appreciate them at least during the holidays!

Without thank yous and without Christmas correspondence, they'd probably forget that you existed, much like you seem to have forgotten about them

did I just guilt you all into sending thank yous?
    The only person who sent in a gift I thanked on twitter! haha loop-hole. Next year.....might not be as lucky.

vCash

I got a thank you card for a graduation gift. I've never sent, nor received a thank you card for Christmas gifts - that's always been an in-person thank you.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Lott's Bandana View Post
    When I was a hatchling, every Christmas* morning my father would have a notepad and pen and write down every gift I received, as well as who the sender was.

Within a week after New Year's Day, I would have to sit down and write thank-you notes to each and every relative and family friend on his list. This lasted well into my teen years. I did something similar with my own daughters.

Does this still happen in families? Has email replaced the mailed note/letter?

*Birthday too.
    I got thank you notes in the mail all hand written from all my nieces this year....so friggin funny to read and decipher what the hell they just wrote from 3 to 6 year olds.....warms the heart much more than any of that facebook or twitter crap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OULenexaman View Post
    I got thank you notes in the mail all hand written from all my nieces this year....so friggin funny to read and decipher what the hell they just wrote from 3 to 6 year olds.....warms the heart much more than any of that facebook or twitter crap.
    No question about it!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member XingTheRubicon's Avatar
    vCash

My 17 year old nephew sent me an e-mail "Thanks for the Under Armor gear." He is a senior pitcher at 5A DFW High School and I gave him some UA thermal baseball stuff for his birthday. I replied to his email reminding him, jokingly, that I abhor emails for personal occasions, (Holidays, birthdays, thank you's, etc.) He replies back and jokes about me (and his parents) being old farts. After this joking banter goes back and forth for a few days, out of the blue, I remember to remind him of his High School graduation present. He writes back "what about it?" "Oh nothing', I said. "This email thing has just created some...oh, I don't know, hesitancy."

Hand-written thank you card was in my mailbox 3 days later.

....and now please direct your attention to the field and J. Clayton Feaver will lead us in a moment of prayer...

"......please protect these young men from injury and for one and all to exhibit good sportsmanship.....IN JESUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN

-J Clayton Feaver

Enjoy

Sooner Starter
    vCash

My younger niece and nephew are very good about sending me a thank-you note for their birthday and Christmas presents. Don't recall their cousins doing that. My concern is that they spend so much time TYPING that their handwriting is terrible! I'm getting old!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    My 17 year old nephew sent me an e-mail "Thanks for the Under Armor gear." He is a senior pitcher at 5A DFW High School and I gave him some UA thermal baseball stuff for his birthday. I replied to his email reminding him, jokingly, that I abhor emails for personal occasions, (Holidays, birthdays, thank you's, etc.) He replies back and jokes about me (and his parents) being old farts. After this joking banter goes back and forth for a few days, out of the blue, I remember to remind him of his High School graduation present. He writes back "what about it?" "Oh nothing', I said. "This email thing has just created some...oh, I don't know, hesitancy."

Hand-written thank you card was in my mailbox 3 days later.

There is quite a load of greatness in that story right there. Hope he has a great year on the mound.

Administrator
    vCash

Nothing beats a hand-written thank you note other than a personal visit (for that reason). I make my kids write thank you notes to their grandparents when they get gifts. They hate it, but the old folks love it.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I call or visit those that weren't there for the gift opening. We raised our daughters to write thank-you notes. I quit sending gifts to a niece and grand-nephew because they didn't send thank-yous or call.