Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Mike Gundy was a candidate at Texas A&M?

A very interesting read.

Link

According to this, OSU (aka athletic director Mike Holder) is slow-playing his hand against Gundy, not giving him a longterm extension like Gundy desires. It apparently irks the hairgeled one, especially since current underachieving low-attendance men's basketball is sucking:

It's the 10-year contract Holder awarded basketball coach Travis Ford after just one season that's stuck deep in Gundy's craw. Ford's accomplishments pale in comparison to those of Gundy, who just might be the Cowboys' best-ever football coach.

Only Holder can explain why he gave Ford that deal for a decade, while refusing to do the same for a coach who generates millions for OSU and has placed the football program on the national stage.
    As for the Texas A&M thing:

"He should have taken that plane to Texas A&M," a source close to Gundy said Monday. "Then he should have returned to OSU, loaded up his staff and taken them with him."

Those sources, who are privy to Gundy's situation, insist he was a strong candidate for the A&M job, which eventually went to Houston coach Kevin Sumlin.

But once again, his love for his alma mater and his sincere wish to become an OSU "lifer" reportedly kept him from boarding that plane.

"He's too damn loyal," a source said.
    Is Oklahoma State at risk of losing Mike Gundy? Should they care if they lose Mike Gundy? I think that another program would hire Gundy, especially when his stock is so high right now. I don't, however, think OSU would suddenly shrivel up and go 0-10-1 again if he left... they might do that even if he stays

Re: Mike Gundy was a candidate at Texas A&M?

OSU is dumb as heck for not locking him up long term already. He's the best they'll ever get long term.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gundy's like the dependable girl you can hook up with between girlfriends. If that source's story is true, then Gundy needs to grow a spine. He didn't need to take the A&M job. He could have interviewed and kept tight-lipped, at least until the Sumlin announcement, and that should have put the fear in Holder (as in what Boone would do to him if Gundy bolted because of his inactions) to renegotiate quickly.

vCash

He dint Go cause hes STUPID . Plus the fact hes an aggy .
    wait thats redundant aint it ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

If he was a serious candidate, it would have come out. BS.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerTerry's Avatar
    vCash

Was Holder the AD that lost the hatter?
    I fly fake airplanes

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rekamrettuB's Avatar
    vCash

I've listened to SA and Traber a little lately and he's florred that nothing has been done yet. My initial thought was Ok State is trying to save some cash because they know Gundy wants to coach there and nowhere else. They could be making a huge long-term mistake. At some point Gundy will realize that this is no longer about allegiances...it's a business.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

Gundy wouldn't do the job elsewhere that he does at OSU. He got into coaching so that he could land his current job. Those who have ever listened to him talk know this. He's where he wants to be and he's there at just the right time with Nebraska gone, OU, Tech, A&M and Tejas all down right now. It's kinda like Snyder's first run at KSU.
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooneredaco's Avatar
    vCash
    IMO, there is no way he has the success at another program that he's had at OSU. It's his dream job. His whole recruiting success is wrapped up in the fact that he his at his alma mater and isn't going anywhere. And, in fact, he isn't. He's staying put, with or without an extension. They made him who he is with Boone's money and he knows it.
    Originally Posted by CowboyMRW

"Just for the game today, I went down to the market and bought a new sheep. The owner said she was still a virgin, so I really hope we win today, so it's not just a waste of money"
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    that should have put the fear in Holder (as in what Boone would do to him if Gundy bolted because of his inactions) to renegotiate quickly.
    I wonder if Boone is the one pulling Holder's puppet strings on this, knowing that he can lowball loyal Gundy and not give him a lucrative longterm deal.

As for whether or not this was Boone's money at work and not Gundy's coaching... money is at work at every major program. Good for OSU for finally doing what everyone else already has done with their money... winning and stuff.

And while I tend to think that coaching rumors would have surfaced if Gundy was a serious candidate... the Aggies are batsh!t crazy and thus A&M was doing everything it could to not keep them (especially the internet aggies) informed. They're like Arkansas to another level.

vCash

I was hoping to share some dirt from OP.com on this, but all they're doing over there is closing threads involving Gundy's contract and b!tching about Travis Ford.

For a football school, they still care a lot about the fact that their basketball is being mediocre lately

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OULenexaman's Avatar
    Back in beautiful crime free Lenexa...far away from all the Obama loving losers
    vCash

smells like Boone to me...

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

This is being out to be a much bigger deal than what it actually is. The media is just looking for a story since Oklahoma sports are quite slow right now.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

vCash

Maybe but it was reported down here in DFW weeks ago.

vCash

We sure spend alot of time talking about, historically, one of the worst teams in college football....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oufan1 View Post
    We sure spend alot of time talking about, historically, one of the worst teams in college football....
    I know, but that's because this is funny

Here's another interesting read on the situation:

Linky

After saying “I would prefer to keep that under wraps” and “I just don’t feel comfortable talking about contract negotiations,” Gundy relented and discussed his situation.
    He's usually very good at shutting up about things, but it really sounds like he is irked at this:

Media dude: OSU has consecutive 11-win seasons. Does that help you in further contract negotiations?
    Gundy: Obviously not.

Media: After a Big 12 championship season, a OU-OSU victory and an Eddie Robinson national coach of the year award, why would this negotiation linger into Fiesta Bowl preparations?
    Gundy: I can’t answer that right now... I’m hoping that we can get it resolved really fast. I’m just almost sure that we can.

It's not like he's not already got a pretty good pay thing going or that his contract is almost up --- he has four years left on a 7-year, $15.7 mil deal.

The problem is... Travis Ford, IMHO. The Pokes gave him a 10-year, $20.375 mil deal after only one season.

We are not Pokes, so we can do the math... and the math says that Ford is getting paid to suck into the NIT (loss to Harvard at home last year!) and Gundy is getting paid roughly the same to take crappy OSU within a missed field goal of the BCS title game. Derrrrrrp?????!

But, that 10-year Ford deal also works against Gundy, as this guy said. There are very few that don't think that longterm dealio isn't a mistake anymore... do they really want to pay for another expensive mistake like that in football, also?

Besides... where would Gundy go? This is, as he put it, his New York Yankees job. He is stuck in Stillwater, unless he wants to go to... um... Houston. Or... um... Penn State???? hehehe

vCash

I'm sure this was just Gundy's people stirring the pot to get a contract done. It is silly that they are still negotiating.

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I know, but that's because this is funny

Here's another interesting read on the situation:

Linky

He's usually very good at shutting up about things, but it really sounds like he is irked at this:

Media dude: OSU has consecutive 11-win seasons. Does that help you in further contract negotiations?
    Gundy: Obviously not.

Media: After a Big 12 championship season, a OU-OSU victory and an Eddie Robinson national coach of the year award, why would this negotiation linger into Fiesta Bowl preparations?
    Gundy: I can’t answer that right now... I’m hoping that we can get it resolved really fast. I’m just almost sure that we can.

It's not like he's not already got a pretty good pay thing going or that his contract is almost up --- he has four years left on a 7-year, $15.7 mil deal.

The problem is... Travis Ford, IMHO. The Pokes gave him a 10-year, $20.375 mil deal after only one season.

We are not Pokes, so we can do the math... and the math says that Ford is getting paid to suck into the NIT (loss to Harvard at home last year!) and Gundy is getting paid roughly the same to take crappy OSU within a missed field goal of the BCS title game. Derrrrrrp?????!

But, that 10-year Ford deal also works against Gundy, as this guy said. There are very few that don't think that longterm dealio isn't a mistake anymore... do they really want to pay for another expensive mistake like that in football, also?

Besides... where would Gundy go? This is, as he put it, his New York Yankees job. He is stuck in Stillwater, unless he wants to go to... um... Houston. Or... um... Penn State???? hehehe
    We did beat Harvard last year
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyMRW View Post
    We did beat Harvard last year
    But you know who you didn't?

Wazzu.

Hey, look who we beat earlier this season

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerTerry View Post
    Was Holder the AD that lost the hatter?
    I think that was Terry Don Phillips.