Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The US and World

population crisis.

Here is a good read particularly for those that believe the US should be growing its population:

http://www.worldpopulationbalance.org/us_population

A few excerpts:

•Our population is growing by over 2,500,000 people per year -- that's 285 per hour -- about half from new births and half from immigration (U.S. Census).
    •According to a study by David Pimentel, the U.S. can sustain a population of only 200 million... and that's only if we reduce our energy consumption by 50%!
    •According to a recent Gallup survey, 165 million adults worldwide would permanently migrate to the U.S. if they could.

•The addition of 3.2 million Americans has a greater resource impact upon the Earth than all of the millions of people added last year in India and Africa combined.

vCash

Re: The US and World

The pro-immigrant argument is sheer lunacy. Good find!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Well, I doubt there are many in the world that would argue that we don't have enough people.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

vCash

to me that says that we should figure out how to use less stuff than to limit the population

it's not like we are going to disappear 100+MM people

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    Never say never.

vCash

to me that says that we should figure out how to use less stuff than to limit the population

Having less kids isn't an option? This isn't about eliminating people currently on the planet.

To me it says both but more importantly less people will mean less consumption

vCash

i'd be down with disincentivizing having kids...

vCash

i'd be down with disincentivizing having kids...
    Only among immigrant and minority populations. The truth is, European and Anglo-Saxon birth rates are dwindling. I believe both are less than the death rate for the same ethnic group. On the other hand, 3rd world people breed like drunken catholic rabbits. THAT's the problem.

Tom and Jill need to get a little more busy while Jose and Isabella need to zip it up.

vCash

Some interesting quotes:

Here is a collection of some of our favorite quotes about various aspects of population balance. We hope they can shed some light on our perspective as an organization.

Unlike plagues of the dark ages or contemporary diseases we do not understand, the modern plague of overpopulation is soluble by means we have discovered and with resources we posses. What is lacking is not sufficient knowledge of the solution but universal consciousness of the gravity of the problem and education of the billions who are its victim.

- Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader and Nobel laureate

The point of population stabilization is to reduce or minimize misery.

- Roger Bengston, founding board member, World Population Balance

Pressures resulting from unrestrained population growth put demands on the natural world that can overwhelm any efforts to achieve a sustainable future. If we are to halt the destruction of our environment, we must accept limits to that growth.

- World Scientists' Warning to Humanity, signed by 1600 senior scientists from 70 countries, including 102 Nobel Prize laureates

If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity- and will leave a ravaged world.

-Nobel Laureate Dr. Henry W. Kendall

What becomes of the surplus of human life? It is either, 1st. destroyed by infanticide, as among the Chinese and Lacedemonians; or 2d. it is stifled or starved, as among other nations whose population is commensurate to its food; or 3d. it is consumed by wars and endemic diseases; or 4th. it overflows, by emigration, to places where a surplus of food is attainable.

- James Madison, 1791, U.S. President

When the family is small, whatever little they have they are able to share. There is peace.

- Philip Njuguna, pastor, Nairobi, Kenya

Once it was necessary that the people should multiply and be fruitful if the race was to survive. But now to preserve the race it is necessary that people hold back the power of propagation.

- Helen Keller, world-renowned deaf and blind author and lecturer

Can you think of any problem in any area of human endeavor on any scale, from microscopic to global, whose long-term solution is in any demonstrable way aided, assisted, or advanced by further increases in population, locally, nationally, or globally?

- Dr. Albert A. Bartlett, Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of Colorado; World Population Balance Board of Advisors

The key probem facing humanity in the coming century is how to bring a better quality of life -- for 8 billion or more people -- without wrecking the environment entirely in the attempt.

- Edward O. Wilson, scientist, Pulitzer prize winning author and father of biodiversity

It is not prudent to rely on science and technology alone to solve problems created by rapid population growth, wasteful resource consumption and harmful human practices.

- U.S. National Academy of Sciences and Royal Society of London, joint statement

If the world is to save any part of its resources for the future, it must reduce not only consumption but the number of consumers.

- B.F. Skinner, psychologist and author (Introduction to Walden Two, 1976 edition)

'Smart growth' destroys the environment. 'Dumb growth' destroys the environment. The only difference is that 'smart growth' does it with good taste. It's like booking passage on the Titanic. Whether you go first-class or steerage, the result is the same.

- Dr. Albert A. Bartlett, Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of Colorado; World Population Balance Board of Advisors

We must stabilize population. This will be possible only if all nations recognize that it requires improved social and economic conditions, and the adoption of effective, voluntary family planning.

- Lester Milbrath, professor emeritus and author, Learning to Think Environmentally (While there is Still Time)

Which is the greater danger - nuclear warfare or the population explosion? The latter absolutely! To bring about nuclear war, someone has to DO something; someone has to press a button. To bring about destruction by overcrowding, mass starvation, anarchy, the destruction of our most cherished values-there is no need to do anything. We need only do nothing except what comes naturally - and breed. And how easy it is to do nothing.

- Dr. Isaac Asimov, biochemist and science writer (in this 1966 interview he predicted that world population would reach 6 billion around 2000. Most leaders dismissed his prediction as outrageous. Population passed 6 billion in 1999.)

The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.

No matter what your cause, it is a lost cause without population stabilization.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    Only among immigrant and minority populations. The truth is, European and Anglo-Saxon birth rates are dwindling. I believe both are less than the death rate for the same ethnic group. On the other hand, 3rd world people breed like drunken catholic rabbits. THAT's the problem.

Tom and Jill need to get a little more busy while Jose and Isabella need to zip it up.
    You are correct although I don't think the the Euros need to pick it up for a while until Europe gets down to about 100,000,000 or whatever is sustainable for their size.
    Last edited by okie52; 11/30/2011 at 12:31 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Oh, here we go again with all the population control talk!
    I really fear that the North American continent will tip over or sink if the population increases.

Seems like the people and businesses in Montana, Idaho, and N&S Dakotas are screaming for workers.
    But, gee, it really is crowded up there, isn't it?
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    You are correct although I don't think the the Euros need to pick it up for a while until Europe gets down to about 100,000,000 or whatever is sustainable for their size.
    And, the Muslims in Europe are averaging how many children???
    Nine (9) a family, I believe....that is their 9-9-9 Plan top take over Europe!
    (Nine children per Muslim Family; plus nine jihads; plus nine decades and they own it all!)
    Mother Teresa

-------------------

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
    Seems like the people and businesses in Montana, Idaho, and N&S Dakotas are screaming for workers.
    No, but why would you want to make it that way especially with immigrants and 3rd world trash?

vCash

There are way way way the hell too many people in the world but especially in this country. As Okie said, a US population between 200-250m would be far more reasonable.

vCash

No, but why would you want to make it that way especially with immigrants and 3rd world trash?
    Problem is, they are technical jobs, like in the oil and gas industry.
    That might require not only a move to colder climes; but, some training.
    Training requires the capacity to train, and future desire to work. WHY? Just extend unemployment!
    Oh well!
    Mother Teresa

-------------------

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okie52 View Post
    I agree with you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
    Oh, here we go again with all the population control talk!
    I really fear that the North American continent will tip over or sink if the population increases.

He11 Cruiser, Siberia can be home to billions. Not a great life but there is space.
    Just have as many people as possible...is that your plan Cruiser?

Heh, why are Montana, Idaho, and the Dakotas screaming for workers anyway Cruiser?
    Last edited by okie52; 11/30/2011 at 01:39 PM.

vCash

I for one welcome the destruction of the natural beauty of Montana, Idaho, and the Dakotas just so we can pack millions of migrant and oil/gas workers into the pristine environment. It won't truly be America up there until there's a f'n Wal-Mart every other block with the population density of the Houston metroplex.

People suck. More people increases the suckage exponentially.

vCash

I for one welcome the destruction of the natural beauty of Montana, Idaho, and the Dakotas just so we can pack millions of migrant and oil/gas workers into the pristine environment. It won't truly be America up there until there's a f'n Wal-Mart every other block with the population density of the Houston metroplex.

People suck. More people increases the suckage exponentially.
    You've got the exponential part down which is what many don't realize.

vCash

What I do get is....
    That many of you think that the beauty of Mother Nature an the environment is more important than human life!
    Period!
    Mother Teresa

-------------------