Year after year we are getting beat in between the zones

Any idiot can see it. We play less man to man than we should. That on top of the fact that Stoops has never had a team that can adequately defend against the pass, and he cant not know this, so why is it that he thinks thats ok?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Year after year we are getting beat in between the zones

We are as bad in the middle of field as anyone in the country, and that showed tonight, but our secondary create more problems than we already do.

Quote Originally Posted by agoo758 View Post
    We are as bad in the middle of field as anyone in the country, and that showed tonight, but our secondary create more problems than we already do.
    That too. Our secondary defense has always sucked since Stoops came here.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Man to man versus zone is NOT the difference.

We sucked hard in a lot of different phases of the defense tonight. Linebacker play, line play late, defensive calls, individual play in the scheme, you name it, you can point to an instance where our boys completely stepped on their dicks tonight.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

The funny part is that you could take this thread all the way back to 1980. Secondary talent has always been an issue with OU.

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi:3404613
    The funny part is that you could take this thread all the way back to 1980. Secondary talent has always been an issue with OU.
    Yup how many of our Dbs have ever made it in the nfl?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

I thought the secondary got burned twice for TDs w/ man to man? Or was it just a busted zone?
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okie35 View Post
    I thought the secondary got burned twice for TDs w/ man to man? Or was it just a busted zone?
    It looked like it was 1/2 and 1/2. I do know that several times when we were in man, they'd just vacate one side of the field and Griffin would run. That was what happened on the last drive.

Personally, I wish we'd settle on man or zone and just stick with it. This bouncing between the 2 is killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    It looked like it was 1/2 and 1/2. I do know that several times when we were in man, they'd just vacate one side of the field and Griffin would run. That was what happened on the last drive.

Personally, I wish we'd settle on man or zone and just stick with it. This bouncing between the 2 is killing us.
    I agree for the most part, however I also believe you have to incorporate both. LSU uses very little zone; mostly man to man, but you gotta have guys that are real big but fast, and with a lot of agility. The martial arts program they have added to their conditioning scheme seems to be a big plus for them as well. One of their trainers commented that he believes the martial arts addition has "tremendously" cut down on injuries as well. Maybe we need to take a lesson from them, however 'good luck' in trying to convince Bob Stoops, Jerry Schmidt and Venebles that what they are doing is anything but perfect.