Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 IronHorseSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Stoops 2012

I know we still have a shot this year, but am I the only one who looks at 2012 as the best shot at a MNC? Here's why:

On Offense:

1. 5th-yr Sr QB who should be the favorite to win the Heisman with two decent back-up QBs
    2. Experienced RBs (1 Sr.- Whaley, 4 Jrs- Finch, Clay, Millard, Musil, along with B. Williams)
    3. 3 Jr WRs with starting experience and a load of incoming talent
    4. 8 returners in our two-deep on the OL (3 Srs- Habern, Evans, Johnson, 3 Jrs- Ikard, Irwin, Woods, 2 RS-SOs- Dar. Williams, Shead) along with some really big dudes (Thompson, Farniok, and Dismuke) to step in.

The weakness- TE. If Haywood can keep his head on straight, he could be a star. Also, we hear good things about Max Stevenson.

On Defense:

1. 6 Srs on the DL (King, The Hammer, Washington, Walker, McGee, MacFarland)
    2. 3 Jr starters (Wort, Nelson, Jefferson) backed up by 3 Srs (Bird, D. Franklin, Ibo)
    3. 3 Srs (Hurst, J. Harris, and L. Harris), 2 Jrs (Colvin, Lynn)

The weakness- depth in the secondary. We really need for Lynn, Powell, and Wilson to continue to improve.

Specials:

1. 2 Sr kickers (P- Way, KO- O'Hara) and Hunnicutt gets more time as the starter
    2. KR- Whaley, Clay, and Franks

The weakness- return game. Can Stills replace RB on PRs? Can we break a KR? Will our coverage game improve?

I am convinced that in 2012 we will, again, be the preseason #1, as we bring back the most experienced team in the country.
    "Texas might have made some concessions and they might be in the same conference as Oklahoma, but they're not in the same league."

Rece Davis College Football Final 8 OCT 2011

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rekamrettuB's Avatar
    vCash

Re: 2012

Well the world is going to end prior to that NC game...not real interested in next year.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

Administrator
    vCash

A lot will depend on what Landry does. But, I think our overall offense will be better (assuming he comes back). The defensive side of the ball is what I'm not sure about. They've been so Jekyll and Hyde this year, maybe that changes.

I know I'll be just as excited next year as I was this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 DrZaius's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rekamrettuB View Post
    Well the world is going to end prior to that NC game...not real interested in next year.
    Nibiru

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

we play at Texas Tech in 2012

nuff said

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW1818 View Post

nuff said
    We'll just use the proven Iowa State method of beating them. Not sure what that is yet...but it works.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Obviously, this season isn't over and I think that Landry and Whitney will be together for their senior season. There is still a way outside
    chance we get to the NC game this year but if that does happen then we will be going for #9 in 2012. I'm only slightly looking through
    crimson colored glasses!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rekamrettuB's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    We'll just use the proven Iowa State method of beating them. Not sure what that is yet...but it works.
    Well OU would have to schedule them back to back and throw the 1st game.
    And lift up my brother
    To honor this game!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I'm worried "the Hammer" is gone after this year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by primetime43 View Post
    I'm worried "the Hammer" is gone after this year.

True losing "The Hammer" would be tough, but I hear (Geano) sp. Grissom is going to be a stud. Seems like we always have a great defensive end or ends. I thought before this year that 2012 would be the best shot at a National Championship. There is still hope for this year.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUNASH View Post
    True losing "The Hammer" would be tough, but I hear (Geano) sp. Grissom is going to be a stud. Seems like we always have a great defensive end or ends. I thought before this year that 2012 would be the best shot at a National Championship. There is still hope for this year.
    Grissom is Ryan Broyles doppelganger. He's gonna be the Ryan Broyles of the defense.

(The first few times I saw Grissom on the sidelines, I think "Broyles is bigger than I thought!").

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jumperstop's Avatar
    vCash
    We're already looking forward to next season? I was still enjoying this one....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IronHorseSooner View Post
    I know we still have a shot this year, but am I the only one who looks at 2012 as the best shot at a MNC? Here's why:

On Offense:

1. 5th-yr Sr QB who should be the favorite to win the Heisman with two decent back-up QBs Decent QBs win championships?
    2. Experienced RBs (1 Sr.- Whaley, 4 Jrs- Finch, Clay, Millard, Musil, along with B. Williams) None of these guys have been over 1000 yds
    3. 3 Jr WRs with starting experience and a load of incoming talent Stills, and then a bunch of receivers with a combined 4 tds.
    4. 8 returners in our two-deep on the OL (3 Srs- Habern, Evans, Johnson, 3 Jrs- Ikard, Irwin, Woods, 2 RS-SOs- Dar. Williams, Shead) along with some really big dudes (Thompson, Farniok, and Dismuke) to step in. Agreed

The weakness- TE. If Haywood can keep his head on straight, he could be a star. Also, we hear good things about Max Stevenson.

On Defense:

1. 6 Srs on the DL (King, The Hammer, Washington, Walker, McGee, MacFarland) Ronnell will not be back, King has mad little noise.
    2. 3 Jr starters (Wort, Nelson, Jefferson) backed up by 3 Srs (Bird, D. Franklin, Ibo) Good, not great
    3. 3 Srs (Hurst, J. Harris, and L. Harris), 2 Jrs (Colvin, Lynn) Hurst might not stay, Javon is decent, no one has seen Lamar this year

The weakness- depth in the secondary. We really need for Lynn, Powell, and Wilson to continue to improve.

Specials:

1. 2 Sr kickers (P- Way, KO- O'Hara) and Hunnicutt gets more time as the starter
    2. KR- Whaley, Clay, and Franks

The weakness- return game. Can Stills replace RB on PRs? Can we break a KR? Will our coverage game improve?

I am convinced that in 2012 we will, again, be the preseason #1, as we bring back the most experienced team in the country.
    We will be good. But this year was a better year for a title run hands down. I would love to be wrong. But I just dont see that happening.

vCash

Yes decent QBs win championships... Bama and lsu ring a bell?

Same D...never happens...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Landry will not be back next year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

We're Oklahoma and will be in the mix for NC every year. Best team on paper doesn't always win due to injuries and luck. I plan on being at the game Sat. to witness the Sooners beat down the preseason "some are saying this '11 Aggie team will be the best offense of all time" as they deserve an appropriate send off to SEC. BOOMER!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW1818 View Post

nuff said
    With the conference realignment, maybe Tech will get stuck playing in Norman three straight years!

.....a guy can dream, can't he?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Peach Fuzz View Post
    Yes decent QBs win championships... Bama and lsu ring a bell?
    Ok you have a point. I should have pointed out that those teams have almost of their talent on defense with the exception of Ruben Randle (LSU) and of course Trent Richardson(Alabama). But, I will say, Greg McElroy was drafted and Matt Moch(Spell?) was older so wasnt a big pro prospect. And in 2007 Matt Flynn (LSU) is playing in pros right now. Drew Allen and Blake Bell have zero combined TD passes.

Quote Originally Posted by tfoolry View Post
    We're Oklahoma and will be in the mix for NC every year. Best team on paper doesn't always win due to injuries and luck. I plan on being at the game Sat. to witness the Sooners beat down the preseason "some are saying this '11 Aggie team will be the best offense of all time" as they deserve an appropriate send off to SEC. BOOMER!
    I would agree.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Playing in Lubbock? Scoring more points? Not having an astronomical weather delay beforehand? Not having key starters out?