Offensive problems the last 2 games

We have put up yards and quite a few points, but something changed with the Kansas game.

Landry has had to hold onto the ball, double pump, and scramble more than I've ever seen in the past. During the KU game, it was to the point that I thought Chuck Long knew our signals for the routes our receivers were running.

Landry is clearly not as accurate when he doesn't get to set his feet and throw in rhythm. All QBs probably are to some extent, but he has barely been 50% on completions in these last 2 games.

Are we getting too predictable with the routes we run? Notice, when they sent Stills from the slot and sent Jaz on the go route, that wad 2 tds. Those are not our normal routes.

Hopefully Josh is learning quickly. It sure looks like his inexperience is showing now that the opponents have several games worth of film on his offense.
    Last edited by JiminyChristmas; 10/23/2011 at 01:30 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 mightysooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Offensive problems the last 2 games

Um.......I love Heupel. I do. BUT........he's not what I expected he'd be. He's K-dub all over again. I thought he'd bring psyche to our offense. I thought he'd cause problems for D-cos. He hasn't......so far. He's just relied on Jones and the passing game just like lazy *** ol K-dub did. New boss, same as the old boss.

vCash
    I'm thinking our center being out is hurting us a lot. I think Landry is just off - maybe he's getting pressure. But the last 2 games it looks like we are being held all the time! Can our guys not shake the block ? And even if we are predictable , with so many to throw to everyone does there job and we make plays!
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Losing your star RB right before kickoff tends to kill your game plan. I thought the play calls were there, we just didn't execute.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

These offensive problems have come against the 2 worst defenses in D-1...pathetic...Is LJ hurt cause he is sure playing like it...

Quote Originally Posted by mightysooner View Post
    Um.......I love Heupel. I do. BUT........he's not what I expected he'd be. He's K-dub all over again. I thought he'd bring psyche to our offense. I thought he'd cause problems for D-cos. He hasn't......so far. He's just relied on Jones and the passing game just like lazy *** ol K-dub did. New boss, same as the old boss.
    I agree as I thought he would be different but I wonder if Stoops is holding him back...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tiptonsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercoop1 View Post
    I agree as I thought he would be different but I wonder if Stoops is holding him back...
    Are you insane???

There's no excuse for our performance the last two weeks on offense, and everyone on that side of the ball deserves blame. That said, I have not been impressed with Heupel all season. I have confidence he will get better and better. For now though he is a part of the problem. But he sure as hell isn't the only part of it...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 landrun's Avatar
    vCash

Offense isn't the problem. We have a great offense when we can struggle and score 40 points a game. Look on the other side of the ball.

5 straight 3 & outs in the first half? Offense is definitely part of yhe problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    Losing your star RB right before kickoff tends to kill your game plan. I thought the play calls were there, we just didn't execute.
    You are right on! losing Whaley was a killer since he is the onlyback we have that runs through tackles. Clay and Finch are munchkins/water spiders that are very exciting "in space", but cannot survive behind a line that cannot run block. Perhaps if Whaley had played the O would not have gotten so out of sync.

Actual Poor Student SoonerofAlabama's Avatar
    vCash

Any idea how many drops our receivers had?

"Competition is the best motivator you have. That's Oklahoma."
    -Jay Norvell

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Brandon Williams is a bigger guy that can break some tackles; I was so hoping they would at least try him for a series.

Actual Poor Student SoonerofAlabama's Avatar
    vCash

Another question, when Millard got stuffed in the redzone. Who was blocking for him?

"Competition is the best motivator you have. That's Oklahoma."
    -Jay Norvell

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

He's working with what he has, guys. I think early in the year and even now to a lesser extent, Josh was intent on establishing a run game before anything else. That was his primary departure from the KW mindset. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be something that can be implemented with this line overnight, or with Patton as the OL coach. Our OL is absolutely dreadful at anything other than basic pass protection. When they have to run block and do something that requires something other than blocking the guy in front of them, they fail miserably. This has been consistent through many linemen and several years now, which tells me they have poor coaching in that regard.

So if Josh can't run the ball effectively, of course he's going to go with what he knows will work, which is the KW offense. As much as we loathe the predictability of it, it puts up points and yards. Nothing is going to change until Patton is gone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerofAlabama View Post
    Another question, when Millard got stuffed in the redzone. Who was blocking for him?

No One....

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    He's working with what he has, guys. I think early in the year and even now to a lesser extent, Josh was intent on establishing a run game before anything else. That was his primary departure from the KW mindset. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be something that can be implemented with this line overnight, or with Patton as the OL coach. Our OL is absolutely dreadful at anything other than basic pass protection. When they have to run block and do something that requires something other than blocking the guy in front of them, they fail miserably. This has been consistent through many linemen and several years now, which tells me they have poor coaching in that regard.

So if Josh can't run the ball effectively, of course he's going to go with what he knows will work, which is the KW offense. As much as we loathe the predictability of it, it puts up points and yards. Nothing is going to change until Patton is gone.
    Yeah just go look at the 3rd and 1 play to Clay in the 4th quarter for an example of how badly our line run blocks; both the guard and the center failed to get out to the LB's and that's pathetic

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 5noubus View Post
    I'm thinking our center being out is hurting us a lot. I think Landry is just off - maybe he's getting pressure. But the last 2 games it looks like we are being held all the time! Can our guys not shake the block ? And even if we are predictable , with so many to throw to everyone does there job and we make plays!
    I too think Habern being out is hurting more than we think. Whaley and Flemming being out doesn't help either.