Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herman Cain

vCash

Herman Cain

Really good 3-minute segment by Colbert this week. http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/400164/october-19-2011/indecision-2012---herman-cain-canes-the-unemployed

Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful GOP leaders if they are empty caricatures of righty (base) talking points? Wasn't this Palin's appeal?
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

Re: Herman Cain

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Ibaka View Post

Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful DEM leaders if they are empty caricatures of Lefty (base) talking points?
    Fixed it for you. And the fact that you are deferring to Colbert for your politics says all we need to know.

Colbert is entertaining, but that is about all the credit one can give him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    And the fact that you are deferring to Colbert for your politics says all we need to know.

Colbert is entertaining, but that is about all the credit one can give him.
    Which part of Colbert's clip did you find particularly incorrect or unfounded?

I thought that it was full of truthiness. I doubt that you even watched it.

And sadly, the "minorities who have to be empty caricatures of political talking-points" idea might extend to both sides of the aisle. America, you so racist.
    Last edited by Serge Ibaka; 10/22/2011 at 02:13 PM.
    I'm not really Serge Ibaka: I was born and raised in Green Country and not in the Congo. But I do like giraffes.

Which part of Colbert's clip did you find particularly incorrect or unfounded?

I thought that it was full of truthiness. I doubt that you even watched it.

And sadly, the "minorities who have to be empty caricatures of political talking-points" idea might extend to both sides of the aisle. America, you so racist.
    Frankly, I didnt watch your link. But the typical Colbert bit is to not address his target's actual points or arguments, but to twist their words into something else entirely and attack that instead for big laughs and high fives among his largely ignorant audience. "Oh wow, he sure showed him".... Um, actually he didn't. It was funny though.

If Colbert made an honest argument this time, my apologies.

How is Cain an empty caricature of anything? Do you only expect achievement in education and success in business for white people?
    Last edited by Caboose; 10/22/2011 at 02:26 PM.

vCash

Frankly, I didnt watch your link.
    Yawn.

Yawn.
    I guess you didnt want to address why you dont think a black man should be expected to be successful?

vCash

Really good 3-minute segment by Colbert this week. http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/400164/october-19-2011/indecision-2012---herman-cain-canes-the-unemployed

Is it just me, or can minorities only become successful GOP leaders if they are empty caricatures of righty (base) talking points? Wasn't this Palin's appeal?
    This is a ridiculous statement. So, any minority who happens to be a conservative is automatically a caricature of right-wing talking points? I'm not a supporter of Cain, but he's a successful businessman who seems sincerely principled.

If there are minority Republicans who are not "caricatures" of right-wing talking points that aren't successful then it has nothing to do with the fact that they're a minority and everything to do with the fact that they aren't conservative enough for the base.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    This is a ridiculous statement. So, any minority who happens to be a conservative is automatically a caricature of right-wing talking points? I'm not a supporter of Cain, but he's a successful businessman who seems sincerely principled.
    You'll see that I qualified my statement to lefties and righties alike.

Furthermore, I'm talking mainly in response to the video (so shush-up, Caboose. You're a pud) where Cain is spouting "Pull Yerselves Up By Yer Bootstraps!" cliches while simultaneously blaming the Obama administration for failed economic policies (and not Wall Street). The two ideas don't mesh; they're meaningless talking points.

I think that Palin was similarly able to gain Conservative support by repeatedly appealing to a right-wing pathos (like Cain above) without saying anything of real substance.

But then again: maybe that's just politics and their blackness or womanness is irrelevant. Paul continues to be the only candidate who is saying anything meaningful, and he's also the most widely dismissed. It's probably not a coincidence. (And for the record, I think libertarianism is a dumb ideology; I just admire Paul for actually being a real person with ideas and emotions).
    Last edited by Serge Ibaka; 10/22/2011 at 04:43 PM.

I think that Palin was similarly able to gain Conservative support by repeatedly appealing to a right-wing pathos (like Cain above) without saying anything of real substance.
    To avoid any further meaningless argument... can I just ask if are willing to admit that the same thing is true of Obama? Did Obama not gain Liberal support by repeatedly appealing to a left-wing pathos without saying anything of substance?

The reason I ask, whether you can bring yourself to admit it or not (because we all know it is true), is because I find it curious that people vilify one person for a quality or trait that they worship in another. Why do you suppose that is?

vCash

To avoid any further meaningless argument... can I just ask if are willing to admit that the same thing is true of Obama? Did Obama not gain Liberal support by repeatedly appealing to a left-wing pathos without saying anything of substance?
    Was Obama's campaign mostly reinforced by fervent pathos? Of course; it's probably what got him elected.

Was he an empty shell of talking points and finger-pointing? No. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ises/obameter/

Regardless, Obama's campaign and presidency is irrelevant. That's not the topic.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Cain's not sure if he's pro- or anti-abortion rights, but when they happen, he's for lectrocution.
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Was Obama's campaign mostly reinforced by fervent pathos? Of course; it's probably what got him elected.

Was he an empty shell of talking points and finger-pointing? No. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ises/obameter/

Regardless, Obama's campaign and presidency is irrelevant. That's not the topic.
    Where is "hope and change" on that link? It doesn't get anymore empty than that.

Well in four years we might be able to see which of Cain's promises were kept or not with the benefit of hindsight.
    During his campaign Obama was as vague as humanly possible, he claimed he would do a few things but refused to explain how... only that he had some nebulous mysterious plan... but what he ran on was empty meaningless catchphrases that appealed to the lowest common denominator - Like "Hope and Change".

What is right-wing? Empty shell=successful and educated businessman. Colbert=liberal/progressive talking points. I watch him from time to time to see their agenda.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Thumbs down Re: Herman Cain

Is that a racist statement?? Or, just severely stereotyping blacks?
    You say - Blacks must be liberal to not be discredited for being a leader???

By stereotyping in a similar way, I could say that traditional black leaders are leading the black community info poverty and personal failure. And, you want "more of same"???

Fiffy!
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonercoop1 View Post
    What is right-wing?
    Starboard???

OleVet Posse Instigator

vCash

Well in four years we might be able to see which of Cain's promises were kept or not with the benefit of hindsight.
    What promises? Other than 9-9-9 being thrown around gratuitously, I haven't really heard of any actual proposals. Maybe I'm wrong. Am I?

I even clicked on his website, and you should look too: http://www.hermancain.com/the-issues

If you click around the various "issues," you will see that his response to each is a cliched 3-paragraph response; they sound smart, and it sounds like he's taking a position. But it's basically the stereotypical Conservative position anyway, and he never submits a single plan. He just rattles off meaningless crap about "strengthening the borders" (or "The Free-Market RULEZ!!1"). It's offensive; he isn't saying anything. And he might be in the lead for the GOP nomination?

Again, maybe that's just politics. But it really is pathetic (both for Cain and the entire GOP, basically).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Frankly, I didnt watch your link. But the typical Colbert bit is to not address his target's actual points or arguments, but to twist their words into something else entirely and attack that instead for big laughs and high fives among his largely ignorant audience. "Oh wow, he sure showed him".... Um, actually he didn't. It was funny though.

If Colbert made an honest argument this time, my apologies.

How is Cain an empty caricature of anything? Do you only expect achievement in education and success in business for white people?
    To bad because Colbert destroyed Cain and his idiotic comments.

What promises? Other than 9-9-9 being thrown around gratuitously, I haven't really heard of any actual proposals. Maybe I'm wrong. Am I?

I even clicked on his website, and you should look too: http://www.hermancain.com/the-issues

If you click around the various "issues," you will see that his response to each is a cliched 3-paragraph response; they sound smart, and it sounds like he's taking a position. But it's basically the stereotypical Conservative position anyway, and he never submits a single plan. He just rattles off meaningless crap about "strengthening the borders" (or "The Free-Market RULEZ!!1"). It's offensive; he isn't saying anything. And he might be in the lead for the GOP nomination?

Again, maybe that's just politics. But it really is pathetic (both for Cain and the entire GOP, basically).
    I believe you are missing the point that during his campaign, Obama did the same thing.... "Hope and Change!!!", "Bush sucks", "Yes We Can", "I am black" etc. Empty meaningless slogans/personal narratives.

vCash

I believe you are missing the point that during his campaign, Obama did the same thing.... "Hope and Change!!!", "Bush sucks", "Yes We Can", "I am black" etc. Empty meaningless slogans/personal narratives.
    So Cain isn't a shi**y presidential candidate because Obama did the same thing? That's weak; what does Obama have to do with anything?

Plus, you're wrong regardless. Sure, catch-phrases figured heavily into Obama's campaign. But he did actually say some real things. I just showed the link above (this one)!

Cain's positions look and sound like this:

We must support our military with the best training, equipment, technology and infrastructure necessary to keep them in a position to win. We must also provide our men and women in uniform, our veterans and their families with the benefits they deserve for their tremendous sacrifice. These heroes have served us. We must never forget to serve them.
    See, who could disagree with that???! What a guy!

I'll grant that he did promise to repeal Obama's healthcare bill, and that's a very brave position. Though it was actually worded that he would "repeal and replace health care 'deform,'" but he didn't actually propose anything new. Just yelled "Free Market RULEZ!!1" a bunch.
    Last edited by Serge Ibaka; 10/22/2011 at 08:24 PM.