Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

OU leaving the starters in. OSU...

Is not even practicing that much. Huh?

Coach Mike Gundy is taking a ''less is more'' approach at No. 6 Oklahoma State.

Less practicing, more winning.

Gundy has instituted shorter practices for the Cowboys (6-0, 3-0 Big 12) in recent years, coinciding with a steady rise up the rankings. Instead of taking advantage of the maximum 4 hours per day or 20 hours per week allowed by the NCAA, Oklahoma State practices less than 4 1/2 hours per week.

That's 1 hour, 45 minutes on Tuesdays; 1 hour, 35 minutes on Wednesdays and an hour on Thursdays. That's it.

Gundy believes there's a point of diminishing returns in practice and players will be more productive if they enjoy what they're doing.
    Link

This is going to bite them in the arse later this year when their players are too tired to finish a game... like the game between both of us. That game. Yes, that game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: OU leaving the starters in. OSU...

I just don't see how this is possible. There must be something else going on. There just isn't enough time to effectively install a gameplan in 4 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Well, I guess that partly explains why they give up close to 30 points per games besides just their front four stinking.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    I just don't see how this is possible. There must be something else going on. There just isn't enough time to effectively install a gameplan in 4 hours.
    It's enough time to effectively install their gameplan.
    at this point in the process, I can only assume it was a typo and they meant to say "cram"...

vCash

I guess... I can't imagine this actually being true. There must be a misunderstanding.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

I bet that by the time the "zero U" game comes around, they will find time to tackle and lift weights...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Most of our time is spent in the film room. But actual pads time, this article is correct. Mondays are off. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are full pads, and then a walk through Thursday.

I'm not worried about our conditioning. We have one of the best college S&C coach in the country in Coach Glass.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

vCash

It's not the conditioning you should worry about. It's the fact that the coaches get very little hands on time with the kids. This will kill later in the season and later years because the players aren't going to develop as well.

I mean, what's the point in not using the time? The kids won't like it? That's dumb.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I wonder how many years he has been doing this..I know they are winning more games than when he started..
    Bazinga

vCash

That is a good question.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    I wonder how many years he has been doing this..I know they are winning more games than when he started..
    If he would just make practice optional they'd be national champions already

They have been utilizing the extra time humping sheep...and I have been told it is a very tedious process which will lead to superior strength and conditioning (Coach glASS is very good). It may be just enough to get them past the gooners!

Administrator
    vCash

I understand that practice can reach a point of diminishing returns, and seeing how they have played on offense, I can understand it. However, if my defense were playing like the Cowboy's defense, I'd at least have those guys out there the maximum allowable time.

vCash

Yeah, to me this sends a terrible message. But whatever... they're winning for now...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BetterSoonerThanLater's Avatar
    vCash

i heard next year their practices will consist of 4 hours a week just playin NCAA onXbox. This way they can "watch game film", and improve hand-eye coordination. Its a process...
    this is bull****

Sooner All-World
    vCash

well it's working for them so I can't see where there's a problem with it..

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    If he would just make practice optional they'd be national champions already
    Good one.
    Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    That has more to do with ****ty competition.

vCash

More quality "sheep" time...

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSoonerThanLater View Post
    i heard next year their practices will consist of 4 hours a week just playin NCAA onXbox. This way they can "watch game film", and improve hand-eye coordination. Its a process...
    If this is true I think I might try and walkon. I'm pretty good at NCAA '12 and could teach some of the players a few things on there haha
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins