Thread: FEMA

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

FEMA

How exactly does FEMA work, Let say a tornadoe, fire , destroys my house. I have insurance... So what eactly do i use FEMA for?
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: FEMA

Insurance adjusters won't block the streets from looters, lookie loos, media, etc. Insurance adjusters won't respond immediately to a disaster. Insurance adjusters won't search homes for missing people or pets. Insurance adjusters won't get medical personnel on the scene to assist the wounded.

You need the government's help for many things in an emergency. Security, search and rescue, immediate medical help, immediate financial help. FEMA doesn't do all of that, but it does have a hand in it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

as usual, Badger is just writing words. None of what she wrote is Washington DC's/FEMA's job.

Those are all 100% local and State government functions. Your local police and fire departments will block streets and search houses. If the damage is over a wide enough area they might call in the National Guard to help, I know they did for the MAy 3rd tornado. They will also use NG helos for fires and other things where they need their specialized services.
    Conway Twitty got more ***** by accident than regular guys get on purpose

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 diverdog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OutlandTrophy View Post
    as usual, Badger is just writing words. None of what she wrote is Washington DC's/FEMA's job.

Those are all 100% local and State government functions. Your local police and fire departments will block streets and search houses. If the damage is over a wide enough area they might call in the National Guard to help, I know they did for the MAy 3rd tornado. They will also use NG helos for fires and other things where they need their specialized services.
    Did you forget about Katrina or Andrew or 9/11? The state could not handle any of those disasters without federal help and lots of it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

FEMA documents individual situations which later allows for Small Business Administration and Disaster Relief Loans to be applied for and granted. One small part of what they do.

Helped me after Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Was able to get an SBA loan to supplement insurance to replace my destroyed pickup truck.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OutlandTrophy View Post
    as usual, Badger is just writing words.
    Doesn't everyone here write words

For major disasters, federal/state help is needed. Always.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUHOMER View Post
    How exactly does FEMA work, Let say a tornadoe, fire , destroys my house. I have insurance... So what eactly do i use FEMA for?
    In your particular case, FEMA is of no value. Hell, if there is anything left for looters, you'd just as soon they got it. You'd rather have the insurance money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Doesn't everyone here write words

For major disasters, federal/state help is needed. Always.
    Hell, no...each state should spend a fortune on hardware and manning for a major disaster that might happen every 5 years....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mississippi Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

After Katrina, FEMA supplied me and my family with a very valuable commodity: ice. Something so simple, but when you go for almost two weeks with no electricity, you appreciate really appreciate it. And, unlike some of the greedy business owners who were charging five times the normal price, if they had any at all, the FEMA trucks gave away more than twice the amount in a commercial bag for free. That's a big deal when you have no tv or a/c, you have to heat water on a propane camp stove and gasoline is rationed to the point that driving more than ten miles at a time can be risky.

vCash

There you go OUHOMER, ice. I stand corrected.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960 View Post
    There you go OUHOMER, ice. I stand corrected.
    So you think Oklahoma should have enough stand by eq and manning to completely control the aftereffects of an F5 Joplin tornado moving through downtown OKC?

vCash

States should handle their own emergencies, yes.
    And, I was really only interested in answering OUHOMER's specific question.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960 View Post
    States should handle their own emergencies, yes.
    And, I was really only interested in answering OUHOMER's specific question.
    Then you better dig real deep into your pockets to fund the needed material...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    Then you better dig real deep into your pockets to fund the needed material...
    the question was geared toward indivduals who are insured, I understand the states would require financial aid.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:

vCash

the question was geared toward indivduals who are insured, I understand the states would require financial aid.
    Whoops...sorry..

vCash

I can see where a couple buys a house 40 years ago at say $15,000. raise their family, pay off the house and only have it insured for say $20,000. But there is no way they can replace it for $20,000. not incuding the contents, i see where a low interst loan would be needed.

Quote:

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Lott's Bandana's Avatar
    vCash

I can see where a couple buys a house 40 years ago at say $15,000. raise their family, pay off the house and only have it insured for say $20,000. But there is no way they can replace it for $20,000. not incuding the contents, i see where a low interst loan would be needed.
    Exactly the scenario with my destroyed pickup truck. The loan was 3% and was quite helpful.

vCash

Oh yeah, an in addition to the really neat, extra large bags of ice they supplied, FEMA also bought me a new chainsaw and a Honda generator. I hope I never need the chainsaw again, but the generator does come in handy on an all too regular basis. We have frequent power outages here for no particular reason at all.

vCash

Free generators are cool. FEMA is absolutely worth every penny.

vCash

Hell, I don't know what FEMA is worth. My insurance paid for my property damage, and they gave us the chainsaws so that we could cut the trees out of the roads ourselves.

But what is FEMA worth? I dunno, but I hear Brownie is doing a heckuva job!