Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

? for weatherman types

When is this infernal weather likely to end? I can look at a calendar and figure October will be decent; but then I remember some pretty warm days in that month as well.

I'm just wondering what will cause this stupid heat wave to end? That "high-pressure dome" we've heard about on the forecasts is getting to be as loathsome as hearing about Islam being a "religion of peace"!

vCash

Re: ? for weatherman types

A large hurricane from the gulf could push it out of here if things went the right direction.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 GKeeper316's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    A large hurricane from the gulf could push it out of here if things went the right direction.....
    they wont. the high pressure ridge hangin out over us is too strong for any lingering hurricanes or tropical storms to displace.
    There's few things in the world that can't be fixed by the liberal application of duct tape.

Those who say winning isn't everything are the people you want to play against.

vCash

Yes it could....If it was the right storm and large enough.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 GKeeper316's Avatar
    vCash

my meteorologist friend told me when i asked last week if a gulf hurricane could help us out.

he said it would have to move across texas without breaking up to move this high pressure system... its one of the strongest hes ever seen.
    There's few things in the world that can't be fixed by the liberal application of duct tape.

Those who say winning isn't everything are the people you want to play against.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Yes it could....If it was the right storm and large enough.....
    What I emphasized being the operative term.

The problem is the ridge spreads from Georgia to New Mexico from east to west. And from Texas up through Kansas and Missouri.

The only hope is for it to weaken and then move.
    Last edited by GrapevineSooner; 8/2/2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I've been having fun tracking the weather lately

The problem is that La Nina was particularly strong this year. For those of you that remember El Nino, this is the opposite. El Nino causes more wet weather in the Midwest, while La Nina causes drier weather in the Midwest.

Droughts are extremely hard to shake. Let's say you put a plastic bag over a happy green plant. You'll get the moisture from the happy green plant trapped in the plastic bag during the day and eventually, that moisture might get too excessive and fall back down to the happy green plant.

If you have a brown, dead plant, there's no moisture if you put a plastic bag over it. In fact, the plastic bag might just make the poor dead plant look even more pathetic.

Those are dumb, unscientific badger terms. But it kind of illustrates how dry, hot Oklahoma and neighboring states are stuck in a crappy cycle, where heat leads to drought, and drought leads to heat.

I have also heard experts say that this type of thing is cyclical, that we are paying for having a green, wet, and relatively cool start to the summer last year. When plenty of greenery vegetation built up last growing season, it died off over the cold, snowy winter. And now, there's not tons of greenery vegetation, but rather, tons of dead vegetation that just fuels the wildfires.

Now, the governor has asked us to pray for rain, and I have every Sunday in church. But the fact of the matter is that praying for rain in July and August in the middle of a drought is like OSU praying for national football title in a season where they've already lost to Nebraska --- it just doesn't happen. Longshot outside shot? Maybe, if every other team falls in the nation and OSU suddenly has a better record. But the equivalent of that for Oklahoma would be for a hurricane to re-route and we suddenly have a torrential downpour. The odds are very steep.

August is typically a hot, dry month, much like summer months typically don't get as much rain and have higher temperatures. To expect relief in the middle of a big arse drought in the middle of summer would be like... yes, like OSU expecting its weak arse non-traditional power football team to be as good as its rasslin' program. You aren't gonna win 50 national titles in football, dum-dums. You're not going to win one!

And alas, Oklahoma is not going to get strong relief from this weather crap anytime soon.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

The weathermen say this is the best time to have sex, so consider yourself lucky and enjoy the slip and slide.
    Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

vCash

Talk is Tulsa could hit 117 on Wed---

it all changes sept 23rd

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I usually get a week or two of good dove hunting before a weather front drops the temp and brings some rain...

I will go with Sept 10th....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 tcrb's Avatar
    vCash

It's extremely rare that a low pressure system displaces a high pressure system. In fact, it's almost always the opposite. High pressure always moves towards low, just like letting the air outta your tires. The high pressure system that is now sitting over the southern plains is going to push any tropical storm activity to the east, just like it's going to do this week and next with Emily: Link

vCash

At 5 o'clock in Tulsa today, and according to the time and weather phone number (918.477.1000) the temp here was 117. Not sure where they get that info from, but there it is.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

My pickup thermometer showed 106 at 1130 this morning...

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

Unhappy Re: ? for weatherman types

Where's a good arctic front when you need one?
    + dripping drops
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Where I'm at we're at 120 by noon...

...so I'm guessing mid-October before I get below 100.

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    I usually get a week or two of good dove hunting before a weather front drops the temp and brings some rain...

I will go with Sept 10th....
    this is true about 19 times outta 20....
    this year is different....
    it'll prolly be too damn hot to hunt doves..
    it should be easy to find'em tho....just hunt the waterholes
    might be one every 10 miles or so...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

On the other side of the equator, there was rain and snow at one of the driest places on Earth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory?id=14207486

. . . fractions of an inch of rain have done major damage . . .

Sooner All-World
    vCash

this time next week we are only barely supposed to be in the nineties with thunderstorms likely.

Quote Originally Posted by oumartin View Post
    this time next week we are only barely supposed to be in the nineties with thunderstorms likely.
    which forecast you lookin at?