Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFID tags

Never gonna give you up
    vCash

RFID tags

http://www.spychips.com/what-is-rfid.html

RFID stands for Radio Frequency IDentification, a technology that uses tiny computer chips smaller than a grain of sand to track items at a distance. RFID "spy chips" have been hidden in the packaging of Gillette razor products and in other products you might buy at a local Wal-Mart, Target, or Tesco - and they are already being used to spy on people.

Above: Magnified image of actual tag found in Gillette Mach3 razor blades.

Each tiny chip is hooked up to an antenna that picks up electromagnetic energy beamed at it from a reader device. When it picks up the energy, the chip sends back its unique identification number to the reader device, allowing the item to be remotely identified. Spy chips can beam back information anywhere from a couple of inches to up to 20 or 30 feet away.

Some of the world's largest product manufacturers have been plotting behind closed doors since 1999 to develop and commercialize this technology. If they are not opposed, their plan is to use these remote-readable spy chips to replace the bar code.

RFID tags are NOT an "improved bar code" as the proponents of the technology would like you to believe. RFID technology differs from bar codes in three important ways:

1. With today's bar code technology, every can of Coke has the same UPC or bar code number as every other can (a can of Coke in Toronto has the same number as a can of Coke in Topeka). With RFID, each individual can of Coke would have a unique ID number which could be linked to the person buying it when they scan a credit card or a frequent shopper card (i.e., an "item registration system").

2. Unlike a bar code, these chips can be read from a distance, right through your clothes, wallet, backpack or purse -- without your knowledge or consent -- by anybody with the right reader device. In a way, it gives strangers x-ray vision powers to spy on you, to identify both you and the things you're wearing and carrying.

3. Unlike the bar code, RFID could be bad for your health. RFID supporters envision a world where RFID reader devices are everywhere - in stores, in floors, in doorways, on airplanes -- even in the refrigerators and medicine cabinets of our own homes. In such a world, we and our children would be continually bombarded with electromagnetic energy. Researchers do not know the long-term health effects of chronic exposure to the energy emitted by these reader devices.

Many huge corporations, including Philip Morris, Procter and Gamble, and Wal-Mart, have begun experimenting with RFID spy chip technology. Gillette is leading the pack, and recently placed an order for up to 500 million RFID tags from a company called "Alien Technology" (we kid you not). These big companies envision a day when every single product on the face of the planet is tracked with RFID spy chips!

As consumers we have no way of knowing which packages contain these chips. While some chips are visible inside a package (see our pictures of Gillette spy chips), RFID chips can be well hidden. For example they can be sewn into the seams of clothes, sandwiched between layers of cardboard, molded into plastic or rubber, and integrated into consumer package design.

This technology is rapidly evolving and becoming more sophisticated. Now RFID spy chips can even be printed, meaning the dot on a printed letter "i" could be used to track you. In addition, the tell-tale copper antennas commonly seen attached to RFID chips can now be printed with conductive ink, making them nearly imperceptible. Companies are even experimenting with making the product packages themselves serve as antennas.
    Walmart has already started to put these out in Texas. Some people think they have already been put in US notes.

Maybe I have been listening to Art Bell too much. Some of those pictures of the protests are primed to be farked though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GrapevineSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: RFID tags

I love conspiracy theorists. They're so amusing.
    Just imagine there's a really obnoxious graphical sig here

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Czar Soonerov
    2. Unlike a bar code, these chips can be read from a distance, right through your clothes, wallet, backpack or purse -- without your knowledge or consent -- by anybody with the right reader device. In a way, it gives strangers x-ray vision powers to spy on you, to identify both you and the things you're wearing and carrying.

3. Unlike the bar code, RFID could be bad for your health. RFID supporters envision a world where RFID reader devices are everywhere - in stores, in floors, in doorways, on airplanes -- even in the refrigerators and medicine cabinets of our own homes. In such a world, we and our children would be continually bombarded with electromagnetic energy. Researchers do not know the long-term health effects of chronic exposure to the energy emitted by these reader devices.
    2. Yeah, read from a distance - of about 3 feet. So I guess if one is really worried about someone running up and pointing a reader at them to see what's in their pockets, then yeah, one should be worried about RFID tags.

3. Continually bombarded with electromagnetic energy? You mean like radio waves... yeah, we don't have any of that now.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

One of these days we'll be able to push a button on the wall of our kitchen and a plate of food will come out.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Um, yeah, we are aware of the long-term effects of being bombarded with electromagnetic radiation. Pretty much 0. The earth itself is a huge EM generator. Good thing, too, or compasses wouldn't work.

Apparently EM radiation makes me unable to write comprehensibly.
    Last edited by Frozen Sooner; 6/17/2004 at 01:26 PM.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

IT'S THE MARK OF THE BEAST, I TELL YOU! THE BEAST!!!!

Er, uh, wait-UPCs were the mark of the beast last week, right?
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 salth2o's Avatar
    vCash

So will Gillette now know when I am shaving? I fail to see the importance of tracking a razor.
    You only live once, but if you work it right...once is enough!

party pooper
    vCash

looks like I got beat to debunking the health risk thingy....but its true....heck, even the whole "living near power lines is bad for your health" argument has been thoroughly discredited....you need very high energy EM waves to do this....which means a good deal higher frequency than visible light...UV, Xray, and on up ...that kinda stuff...radio waves are much much much much lower in energy than visible light, and thus have no ability to break chemical bonds in your body, which is the thing that causes health problems...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

You guys are right where the RFID tag manufacturers want you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by salth20
    So will Gillette now know when I am shaving? I fail to see the importance of tracking a razor.
    Supply chain. Huge benefits in terms of inventory management, but the costs are too high still. I think that average cost per tag is somewhere around 50 cents currently, but need to be downwards of around a nickel a tag before the benefits are realized.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit
    Supply chain. Huge benefits in terms of inventory management, but the costs are too high still. I think that average cost per tag is somewhere around 50 cents currently, but need to be downwards of around a nickel a tag before the benefits are realized.
    I work for a company that supplies to Wal-Mart. They want their top 100 suppliers to have this ready in 2 years or so. They can put entire shipments into the computer system instantaneuosly using RFID's. PLus, in Europe they have refrigerators that scna your RFID's and send an email to your computer telling you what you need to get at the store. Personally, I could care less if someone is tracking what i buy. Right now they'd be able to "track" that I'm not having sex (no condom purchases) and I occasionally liked to dabble in the drug known on the streets as Aleve.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

This from my buddy, who is a Wal Mart Manager:
    Wal Mart is wanting to do this for checkout reasons, too. In the near future, you will go fill your basket, pull up to the reader, and it will tell you how much you owe. Then you pay, and leave. No waiting for checkers.

Ooooh, now you LIKE the idea, huh?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    I work for a company that supplies to Wal-Mart. They want their top 100 suppliers to have this ready in 2 years or so.
    Wasn't the original deadline this year? I think they were demanding their top 100 have this in place in 2004, but there was no way it could have been met.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoarder
    This from my buddy, who is a Wal Mart Manager:
    Wal Mart is wanting to do this for checkout reasons, too. In the near future, you will go fill your basket, pull up to the reader, and it will tell you how much you owe. Then you pay, and leave. No waiting for checkers.

Ooooh, now you LIKE the idea, huh?
    Uh, no.

Must people can't follow instructions....illiterates, etc. Don't you see the people struggle with self checkout?

That and my stuff won't be bagged.

vCash

There will be a guy with an RFID tag in his brain and when the scanner tells you how much you owe it'll also send a signal to the RFID tag in the bagger's brain which will set off a little electric charge that will send him into convulsions. Then it'll put things into perspective for you and you won't be such a cry baby about not having your things bagged.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

No it won't. That guy should get a better job.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Uh, no.

Must people can't follow instructions....illiterates, etc. Don't you see the people struggle with self checkout?

That and my stuff won't be bagged.
    I agree - gotta have my stuff bagged for me. If I wanted to bag my own crap I'd get a job at a grocery store.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit
    Wasn't the original deadline this year? I think they were demanding their top 100 have this in place in 2004, but there was no way it could have been met.
    Yeah, I think it came and went, but I'm not totally sure when the deadline is now, because I'm not on the team. But I know we are not ready to roll it out.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    No it won't. That guy should get a better job.
    Yeah, you talk all tough now, but just wait until you see the guy having convulsions. The focus group thought the same way you did...but seeing it changed their life.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner
    and I occasionally liked to dabble in the drug known on the streets as Aleve.

mmmmm....arm candy....