Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The Cherokee chief election

Just in time to celebrate our freedoms as Americans, a sovereign tribal election for chief!

This past weekend, the challenger, Bill John Baker was declared the winner... 7600 to 7589. Yes, just 11 votes.

Link

Because of the slim margin, the election board reviewed the disputed ballots... and then declared incumbent chief Chad Smith the winner... 7609 to 7602. Just seven votes now.

Link

An emergency injunction was requested. Accusations of tampering were made.

And then, overnight, Bill John Baker was again declared the winner... 7613 7347... now a margin of 266 votes.

Link

The tribe's supreme court just certified the recount results.

I am not Cherokee (the Delaware Tribe has many members who are both, however) but wow, what a week for them. I have the feeling this battle is long from over.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: The Cherokee chief election

Wouldn't the tribal court be the court of last resort? If not, Bush v. Gore is directly on point. You're entitled to due process, and in elections, once the vote/recount/whatever is certified, that's all the due process you get.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I think so. Sovereign nation means they're self governing, right?

If you check out some of the articles, some of the discrepancies were human error, like clerical filing crap. Wouldn't it be funny if another typo, missing number, you name it, caused the election to be swayed back the other way again?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonerchk's Avatar
    vCash

They can try to drag the BIA in to settle it, but it's unlikely that either the Cherokees or the BIA will want to go that route.

It's not over, I'm sure Smith will appeal and then we'll have another vote with all new numbers.
    Omelet Posse Omelette

"even when they stumble more than once, they never step into dog**** ... f***in' sooner magic."~another sad horn

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

That is a pretty big difference in votes. I don't know which one is guilty, or if both are, but me thinks there is some shenanigans goings on.
    "Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    That is a pretty big difference in votes. I don't know which one is guilty, or if both are, but me thinks there is some shenanigans goings on.
    I'm curious as to what was thrown out to get the new totals, and why.
    Omelet Posse Omelette

"even when they stumble more than once, they never step into dog**** ... f***in' sooner magic."~another sad horn

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BudSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's far from over, and I doubt it gets resolved for another month.....or two.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Tribal politics suck.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member AlbqSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Tribal politics suck.
    True, regardless of the Tribe; virtuallly universal.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.

Sooner Benchwarmer The Ghost of Mex's Avatar
    vCash

I think they should handle this using the old ways...no holds barred indian leg wrestling match to the finish.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerchk View Post
    I'm curious as to what was thrown out to get the new totals, and why.
    They did not tally some 200 + absentee ballots....They were counted in the total of the ballots but not tallied for either candidate.....Which seems strange...Smith seems to think most of those would be for him....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    They did not tally some 200 + absentee ballots....They were counted in the total of the ballots but not tallied for either candidate.....Which seems strange...Smith seems to think most of those would be for him....
    Absentee votes are good for the guy who doesn't want folks to know what a suck job he's really done.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mississippi Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

The Chickasaws don't have this problem. They just keep electing the same guy over and over and over again. Anoatubby is now on his seventh consecutive term.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Absentee votes are good for the guy who doesn't want folks to know what a suck job he's really done.
    A vote is a vote.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    A vote is a vote.....
    True but folks who just find out what's happening via the tribal newspaper ain't gettin' the whole story breadman.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Kiowa board throws out June 4 election

The Kiowa Hearing Board chairwoman said the tribe's election board denied fairness and due process when it denied candidates' protests to the tribe's June 4 election results.

Helen Poolaw delivered a sharply worded directive to the election board on Wednesday, she said, to clarify matters specifically in regard to the scheduled recall election for July 16.

In a memorandum addressed to the election board chairman, Dwayne Davis, Poolaw stated the following:

"On June 24, 2011, the Kiowa Hearing Board overturned the decision of the Kiowa Election Board to deny the election protest of candidates Ruth Toehay and Bruce Poolaw. The Board's decision was based on violations of the Kiowa Voting Rights Act that denied fairness and due process rights of the two protesters."

At the heart of the matter, Poolaw said, is the status of a recall election scheduled for July 16. She said it should have been handled before the June 4 general election.

"I told them to do the recall election first," Poolaw said

The special election is for the recall of Chairman Ron Twohatchet, Vice Chair Amber Toppah, Secretary Charlotte Bointy, and KBC members Alva D. Tsoodle, Ace Sahmaunt, Ricky Horse and Steve Smith for violating their oaths of office and the tribe's constitutions and bylaws. The special election notice was sent June 16 by Sharon Aitson, Kiowa Election Board clerk.

Toppah, Bointy, Tsoodle and Smith's names were all on the June 4 election ballots which have yet to be certified. Kiowa Election Board Chairman Dwayne Davis was called away from the meeting following the election due to a family emergency and protests by the two candidates had not been dealt with, Poolaw said. The special election was called but results of the June 4 election have not been certified, she said.

More at link....

http://swoknews.com/main.asp?Section...27&TM=43718.95

vCash

I love my job.
    Omelet Posse Omelette

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BudSooner View Post
    It's far from over, and I doubt it gets resolved for another month.....or two.
    Yes, it might be contested all the way up to the inauguration on August 14.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerchk View Post
    I love my job.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GDC View Post
    Yes, it might be contested all the way up to the inauguration on August 14.
    I figure that's a given.
    Omelet Posse Omelette