Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotnei Clarke

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Rotnei Clarke

I am sure you all heard by now, but just in case you didn't Rotnei is no longer a Razorback. Linky here. Mizzou transplant Mike Anderson said that initially Rotnei wanted to stay on when Mike was hired, but later changed his mind and sought his release.

Rotnei's recruiting tale was very bizarre. Please correct any inaccuracies, but here's what I heard:

Oklahoma: Originally tied to Willie Warren, but eventually decided to not go to the same school as WW.

Tulsa: Would have been fun teaming with Jordan, but took them off his short list when a relative (dad?) was hired at ORU.

ORU: Only seemed to consider them because his relative (dad?) was hired by ORU. I think it was basketball operations director or something weird.

Oklahoma State: Considered, would have been interesting with both Keaton Page and Rotnei, but probably decided that two short shooters wouldn't work.

Arkansas: Seemed to be tied to his sister who played volleyball for Arky.

Rumors of his transfer have been long... um... rumored!

"Contrary to a local television station report over the weekend that I was 'seriously considering' transferring, I wanted to make clear to the Razorback fans that I will return to play basketball for the University of Arkansas next season. It has never been my intention to transfer. I am looking forward to working with Coach Pelphrey and the rest of my teammates this off season to improve individually as well as a team for next year. The University, coaches and fans have supported me since I came to Arkansas and I look forward to competing for the Razorbacks next season. My family plays a huge role in my life. With my sister attending the University as a member of the volleyball team and my family living close by, Arkansas has become home."
    That actually appeared on the Arky sports site here.

I wonder what finally drove him out. I slightly suspect it was Jimmer.

I think either Rotnei and/or his family had it in his/their minds that all of the attention Jimmer was receiving for his long distance scoring ability was supposed to be Rotnei's. Sure, he put up his high numbers against the SEC's notoriously weak non-conference schedules (not just for football anymore!) but really, how could Rotnei be Jimmer when Jimmer is in the tourney and Rotnei's head coach is getting ousted?

Anyways, one year of eligibility left. Would love any info any could provide on the possibility that Rotnei's final year could be in Norman. Thoughts?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Rotnei Clarke

Let's put a whole starting lineup of transfers together.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

Question. Is your Jimmer conspiracy sarcastic?

And I don't think there's any way in hell Lon let's a ball hog punk transfer to OU. He'll end up at a smaller school where he can be big man on campus.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mad Dog Madsen's Avatar
    vCash

I think he'll end up at ORU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Question. Is your Jimmer conspiracy sarcastic
    Maybe a little, but you have to admit that every team seems to have a Jimmer of sorts, but none were as hyped as Jimmer himself in the tourney. Had to bode a little bit of jealousy out there.

I think he'll end up at ORU.
    Oh, now that would be ironic. His dad was at ORU for a year (I suppose to make it look like it wasn't a recruiting gift of a job) before he moved to Fayetteville (no idea what job he got there) to be with his son. Maybe ORU will rehire him as basketball operations dude?

Let's put a whole starting lineup of transfers together.
    Nah - we've got Tyler Neal!

Awwww, Tyler's so cute even opponents want to pet him

He'll end up at a smaller school where he can be big man on campus.
    In that case, he probably should have just stayed at Arky, get his degree, get his senior honoring at his four-year school and be done with it.

So weird... you're right though, Lon probably isn't actively recruiting this guy unless Rotnei himself is pursuing OU.

vCash

Why is Jimmer Fredette even mentioned in this thread?!? Rotnei Clarke doesn't even deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmer...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Have we really gotten to the point where we care what Rotnei Clarke is gonna do with his last year of eligibility ? It's snowing in Colorado on the first day of summer. That interests me SO much more.

vCash

Why is Jimmer Fredette even mentioned in this thread?!? Rotnei Clarke doesn't even deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmer...
    I guess I was just thinking about tonite's draft and how highly touted Rotnei once was and how unknown Jimmer once was.

Have we really gotten to the point where we care what Rotnei Clarke is gonna do with his last year of eligibility ? It's snowing in Colorado on the first day of summer. That interests me SO much more.
    Don't mountains always have snow? It's summer, yeah, but that's kind of why I've resorted to mentioning this. Offseason

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I guess I was just thinking about tonite's draft and how highly touted Rotnei once was and how unknown Jimmer once was.
    The draft is actually on Thursday... But they we're actually both 3 stars according to Rivals. I do remember hearing about Coach K (Yes, from Duke) coming down to watch Rotnei play a HS game in a person but left unimpressed. Back in HS Rotnei took 60 shots a game. No kidding! Jimmer has always been good but going to a bball powerhouse like BYU kept him in the dark. He did averaged 22 pts his Jr. year to go along with the 29 he averaged this year. I believe his avg was 18 ppg as a soph IIRC. Take all this FWIW.

vCash

I knew the day started with a "T" hehe.

I didn't know Coach K came to see Rotnei. Rumor had it that either daddy or son (or perhaps both) had a big ego (although I've heard the opposite as well). It must have been a major letdown after a big ego boost that week --- Coach K came to see me in person?! ...why hasn't he returned my calls, e-mails, texts or facebook friend requests?!?!?! lol

vCash

Yep, very true. Coach K was searching for the next "J.J. Redick" at the time...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    Yep, very true. Coach K was searching for the next "J.J. Redick" at the time...
    When you said that it reminded me of Sherri talking about recruiting Danielle Robinson. She had a big list of guards that she was a tournament to see, and was crossing off name after name, then noticed a speedy guard that wasn't on her big list. A guard that nobody could slow down

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Don't mountains always have snow? It's summer, yeah, but that's kind of why I've resorted to mentioning this. Offseason
    No offense Badger ......I hate the offseason too......but I hate Arky as well.....anyway thanks fo the info

vCash

It's cool. It was a few days since I heard anything about OU basketball and how much we should love Lon so I had to post something

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'd be for using a scholarship on him for one year (or would it be two?). If things didn't work out, I'm sure Lon would be fully capable of showing him where the bench is. If they did, we would add one heck of a scorer.

Sooner Benchwarmer WE ARE dirtburglars's Avatar
    vCash

Rotnei is an arrogant POS. Im so glad he didnt come to OU out of highschool. He and his family actually believed that he had an NBA career ahead of him because he played at a small school and was the only one there with any talent. I hope wherever he goes, he falls flat on his face! Ok maybe thats a little harsh.
    “The key to his success? He’s just faster than the guys who are chasing him.” Barry Switzer

“The will to prepare is the key ingredient to success.” Bud Wilkinson

“Hey, I think it’s great. Let’s face it, we’re used to playing on Dec. 3, right? This isn’t anything new for us. We’ve been playing it, what, eight out of the last 11 years on Dec. 3, 4, 5, on championship weekend. So in our eyes, we’re right where we’re used to being.” Bob Stoops

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by WE ARE dirtburglars View Post
    Rotnei is an arrogant POS. Im so glad he didnt come to OU out of highschool. He and his family actually believed that he had an NBA career ahead of him because he played at a small school and was the only one there with any talent. I hope wherever he goes, he falls flat on his face! Ok maybe thats a little harsh.
    Now, now, we all went to school with someone like that, but how many of them actually had the talent to be D-1? Let alone a big D-1 school like Arkansas?

Even our tiny rural Wisconsin area was littered with "top athletes" that had dreams of D-1, of professional leagues, etc. in all sports.

So, at least Rotnei had Arkansas. Well, HAD Arkansas. It is kind of unfortunate they all couldn't find a way to make it work.

Sooner Benchwarmer WE ARE dirtburglars's Avatar
    vCash

Now, now, we all went to school with someone like that, but how many of them actually had the talent to be D-1? Let alone a big D-1 school like Arkansas?

Even our tiny rural Wisconsin area was littered with "top athletes" that had dreams of D-1, of professional leagues, etc. in all sports.

So, at least Rotnei had Arkansas. Well, HAD Arkansas. It is kind of unfortunate they all couldn't find a way to make it work.
    I went to high school with a guy who is the starting point guard for Purdue. (Lewis Jackson) I had a few classes with him and he was the most down to earth guy I knew there and he was a celebrity in my town. Not all good high school players are as arrogant as ole Rotnei was.
    “The key to his success? He’s just faster than the guys who are chasing him.” Barry Switzer

“The will to prepare is the key ingredient to success.” Bud Wilkinson

“Hey, I think it’s great. Let’s face it, we’re used to playing on Dec. 3, right? This isn’t anything new for us. We’ve been playing it, what, eight out of the last 11 years on Dec. 3, 4, 5, on championship weekend. So in our eyes, we’re right where we’re used to being.” Bob Stoops

vCash

Get this - Dave Sittler heard Rotnei's going to the Big 12. Linky

According to Sittler, Ronei was named for Rotnei Anderson, who apparently was an OU fullback??? Hmmm. Interesting...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

According to Sittler, Ronei was named for Rotnei Anderson, who apparently was an OU fullback??? Hmmm. Interesting...
    We landed on the moon!