Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Ethanol

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Goodbye Ethanol

U.S. Senate approves Coburn amendment to kill ethanol subsidies

After voting it down earlier in the week, the Senate reversed course and approved legislation authored by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Muskogee, and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., that would end ethanol subsidies.

By CHRIS CASTEEL NewsOK.com
    Published: 6/16/2011 2:34 PM
    Last Modified: 6/16/2011 2:34 PM

WASHINGTON — Two days after rejecting Sen. Tom Coburn's move to kill ethanol subsidies, the Senate on Thursday reversed course and overwhelmingly approved the legislation he authored with a California Democrat.

Democrats had objected to Coburn's aggressive move to force a vote on Tuesday, but proved Thursday that they agreed with his core arguments that ethanol production shouldn't be subsidized by taxpayers.

The vote on Thursday was 73 to 27 for the amendment, written by Coburn, R-Muskogee, and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Goodbye Ethanol

nice
    Conway Twitty got more ***** by accident than regular guys get on purpose

vCash

interesting

i prefer to imbibe mine anyway

vCash

Unless you kill the mandates you aren't going to kill ethanol. Even without the tax credit, it's still profitable to blend to 10%.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

then why am i paying for it?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    then why am i paying for it?
    Do I look like a ****ing member of the Government?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

I have no problem with ethanol per se, I have a great deal of problem using a food stuff to make ehtanol.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoCaliSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Iowa will revolt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    I have no problem with ethanol per se, I have a great deal of problem using a food stuff to make ehtanol.
    Considering that most of the corn that gets turned into ethanol still gets used as livestock feed, just as it would otherwise, I find that argument to be overblown.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mongo's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5 View Post
    Considering that most of the corn that gets turned into ethanol still gets used as livestock feed, just as it would otherwise, I find that argument to be overblown.
    like you know anything about corn......wait..

vCash

I have a problem with ethanol being mandatorily produced and included in our fuel supply.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

If ethanol is economically viable on its own then it won't disappear just because we don't subsidize it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oudanny View Post
    If ethanol is economically viable on its own then it won't disappear just because we don't subsidize it.
    and we don't mandate that it be placed into our fuel supply. then we can tell if it's economically viable.
    Conway Twitty got more ***** by accident than regular guys get on purpose

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

i hope it's gone.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by texaspokieokie View Post
    i hope it's gone.
    It's not going to completely away because there is no substitute oxgenating agent since MTBE was banned.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

It was actually a nice bipartisan vote with 33 Repubs and 38 Dems voting yes.

Royal fan is correct that the mandate remains for something like 36 billion gallons annually of ethanol. So I guess that means since there is a guaranteed buyer, farmers will continue to do it.

I wonder how many gallons would be produced if the mandate was lowered to 10 billion....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5 View Post
    It's not going to completely away because there is no substitute oxgenating agent since MTBE was banned.
    MTBE was some good stuff....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sappstuf View Post

Royal fan is correct that the mandate remains for something like 36 billion gallons annually of ethanol. So I guess that means since there is a guaranteed buyer, farmers will continue to do it.

I wonder how many gallons would be produced if the mandate was lowered to 10 billion....

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Yeah, just has a great affinity for water...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sappstuf View Post

Farmers are going to grow a lot of corn, ethanol or no ethanol. It's the most productive use of the high grade soil in the Midwest.