Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer WE ARE dirtburglars's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post
    And wheres the list? You guys clearly have some bevy of knowledge about all of these 5 star QBs and WRs that Stoops has recruited that Im just too ignorant to know about. Id really like to see this list and Ill gladly eat my crow.
    not to rehash this argument, but I see what this guy is saying. although we have landed a couple 5 star guys like Bomar and Metoyer (but i guess he doesnt count) we never get 5 star QBs, WRs out of highschool. Anyway, my real point was to say that this is really astonishing. We are able to consistently win championships with guys that are supposed to be subpar out of highschool. More props to Stoops and his coaching staff, obviously great at putting pieces together.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by WE ARE dirtburglars View Post
    not to rehash this argument, but I see what this guy is saying. although we have landed a couple 5 star guys like Bomar and Metoyer (but i guess he doesnt count) we never get 5 star QBs, WRs out of highschool. Anyway, my real point was to say that this is really astonishing. We are able to consistently win championships with guys that are supposed to be subpar out of highschool. More props to Stoops and his coaching staff, obviously great at putting pieces together.
    We land mostly 4-star recruits, with some 5 and 3's mixed in. No one would consider those type players as subpar.

If we were pulling in players nobody else wanted or had very limited offers, those you might consider subpar..the 1 and 2-star, or no star types.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

again, as long as we are bringing in top 15 classes, we will always be there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW1818 View Post
    again, as long as we are bringing in top 15 classes, we will always be there.
    Exactly...

I just get a kick out of those that either fret we're not gonna get Joe the superstud 5-star wonderplayer, and that's gonna doom us, or if we do get him you can pencil us in for the next 4 national championships, and then on the other extreme those that make it sound like we're getting just Joe the regular guy that no one else wants, but our staff is soooooo good, we're gonna turn Joe Average into the next greatest to ever play the position.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Exactly...

I just get a kick out of those that either fret we're not gonna get Joe the superstud 5-star wonderplayer, and that's gonna doom us, or if we do get him you can pencil us in for the next 4 national championships, and then on the other extreme those that make it sound like we're getting just Joe the regular guy that no one else wants, but our staff is soooooo good, we're gonna turn Joe Average into the next greatest to ever play the position.
    Not exactly what I meant, I should have stated it differently...and I was talking about the 5 star QBs and WRs that bornnbred was talking about, which we RARELY EVER land. Yes I know we land them at many other positions, with a couple a year on average. Yes I know that 3 star guys arent subpar, im not sure why I said that, I should have said average recruits. (doesnt mean they are average players though).

vCash

I know what you're trying to say, but I'd argue we don't recruit any "average" players either. We recruit and land top-level, and sometimes elite recruits/athletes. Average players end up at places like SMU and Tulsa. At least in our football program if they are recruited to come to OU you can bet they are far from being an average player, recruit, athlete, whatever you wanna call em.

I do agree that we don't get hung up on the number of stars a players has like some programs do, Texas being the primary one that comes to mind.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I know what you're trying to say, but I'd argue we don't recruit any "average" players either. We recruit and land top-level, and sometimes elite recruits/athletes. Average players end up at places like SMU and Tulsa. At least in our football program if they are recruited to come to OU you can bet they are far from being an average player, recruit, athlete, whatever you wanna call em.

I do agree that we don't get hung up on the number of stars a players has like some programs do, Texas being the primary one that comes to mind.
    Thats what I meant though when I said we recruit players that are supposed to be subpar(which was a bad choice of words, I meant average). But you are completely right. I have never worried about our programs recruiting under Stoops, no matter how many "stars" our guys have. If hes got an OU scholarship, hes a good/great player.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

There are not many players deemed 5 star in a given year - something like 30? Seems like it is unusually for any given team to have more than 1 per season outside of USC and Texas. 4 stars are consider top notch recruits and always have competing offers from multiple top programs. Seems half our players are 4 start these days.

vCash

Heck there usually isnt even 30 on rivals, which makes your point even stronger.
    “The key to his success? He’s just faster than the guys who are chasing him.” Barry Switzer

“The will to prepare is the key ingredient to success.” Bud Wilkinson

“Hey, I think it’s great. Let’s face it, we’re used to playing on Dec. 3, right? This isn’t anything new for us. We’ve been playing it, what, eight out of the last 11 years on Dec. 3, 4, 5, on championship weekend. So in our eyes, we’re right where we’re used to being.” Bob Stoops

vCash

Rivals usually has 25-30 5-stars in a given year.

In practice I haven't seen much difference in the 4 & 5 stars over time, as to which ones are more likely to turn out to be players.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Gandalf_The_Grey's Avatar
    vCash

Plus the star system is out of whack regardless. I remember a time when Notre Dame signed a guy and he went from 2 Star to 4 star in an hour. Either he had some bad *** steroids, some badass 5 hour Energy drink, or the system is totally subjective....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf_The_Grey View Post
    Plus the star system is out of whack regardless. I remember a time when Notre Dame signed a guy and he went from 2 Star to 4 star in an hour. Either he had some bad *** steroids, some badass 5 hour Energy drink, or the system is totally subjective....
    DeMarco Murray was a 5-star before we signed him. He went to 4-star after that, and stay there, if I remember correctly.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

I remember when we got his verbal. I went to youtube and saw his highlight film and my jaw dropped.
    "Winning isn't everything, its the ONLY thing." - Vince Lombardi

Olevet Posse Member and OVJ-aholic

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    I remember when we got his verbal. I went to youtube and saw his highlight film and my jaw dropped.
    Ha, me too. I can only imagine what his numbers would have looked like if he had escaped injuries. Hell he already holds a few big records, and missed games due to injury and who knows if that slowed his production after. Probably the most underrated player in the Stoops era. I know everyone thinks we will be fine at RB next year, but I bet we feel his loss a lot more than we think we will.
    “The key to his success? He’s just faster than the guys who are chasing him.” Barry Switzer

“Hey, I think it’s great. Let’s face it, we’re used to playing on Dec. 3, right? This isn’t anything new for us. We’ve been playing it, what, eight out of the last 11 years on Dec. 3, 4, 5, on championship weekend. So in our eyes, we’re right where we’re used to being.” Bob Stoops

Actual Poor Student SoonerofAlabama's Avatar
    vCash

Murray always made big plays. Early on he had many and as he got further along in his career he had less of them, but he always made the play that needed to be done. He was always a hard worker and he fought back from injury time and again. He seemed to always have to share the ball with his fellow RBs and he didn't mind it. committe approach should equal at least one DeMarco Murray, just barely though.

"Competition is the best motivator you have. That's Oklahoma."
    -Jay Norvell

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerofAlabama View Post
    Murray always made big plays. Early on he had many and as he got further along in his career he had less of them, but he always made the play that needed to be done. He was always a hard worker and he fought back from injury time and again. He seemed to always have to share the ball with his fellow RBs and he didn't mind it. committe approach should equal at least one DeMarco Murray, just barely though.
    sure hope youre right!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    DeMarco Murray was a 5-star before we signed him. He went to 4-star after that, and stay there, if I remember correctly.
    He'd dropped to a 4-star before we signed him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

He'd dropped to a 4-star before we signed him.
    I guess a verbal commit to OU was good enough to lose a star, then.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

I think it was even before he verballed to us. It was after he attended some big post season camp dealio and he wasn't super impressive, and was knocked down from a 5 to a 4-star. Up until that time he and CJ Spiller were the two big shot all-purpose backs. CJ ended up being the highest ranked of the two.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I think it was even before he verballed to us. It was after he attended some big post season camp dealio and he wasn't super impressive, and was knocked down from a 5 to a 4-star. Up until that time he and CJ Spiller were the two big shot all-purpose backs. CJ ended up being the highest ranked of the two.
    I don't know the timing, exactly. You might be correct. I am convinced that before he was injured his redshirt freshman season against Tx Tech in Lubbock, he was as good a running back as I have ever seen at OU, with the possible exception of Marcus DuPree.