Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Dorial Green-Beckham

What are you guys hearing? Based on what I know, looks to be between you guys, us, Mizzou, and Arkie. Supposedly doesn't like the recruiting process and wants to commit early(like, this month), AND has built a relationship with Gunner Kiel.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Re: Dorial Green-Beckham

I havent heard anything recently but Im betting its a two way battle between OU and Mizzou...I only say this because OU and Mizzou are the only two schools that Kiel has visited twice, and that DGB has been to...on top of the fact that Mizzou is his home state team and OU throws the ball a lot more and is more attractive to a big time WR. Yes I know this is just speculation, but thats the way it seems. My guess is he commits to Mizzou though, seems like OU has missed on every bigtime WR recently besides Metoyer (Prater, Jones, etc)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bornnbredou View Post
    I havent heard anything recently but Im betting its a two way battle between OU and Mizzou...I only say this because OU and Mizzou are the only two schools that Kiel has visited twice, and that DGB has been to...on top of the fact that Mizzou is his home state team and OU throws the ball a lot more and is more attractive to a big time WR. Yes I know this is just speculation, but thats the way it seems. My guess is he commits to Mizzou though, seems like OU has missed on every bigtime WR recently besides Metoyer (Prater, Jones, etc)
    Not quite true--GK has made three visits to Tuscaloosa, the last being about two wks ago, the one before that on 3/29, and not sure when the first one was. He seems to really like our pro-set offense. That being said, my gut says DGB ends up either at Mizzou or Arkie. Actually, I think he lives closer to Fayetteville than he does to Columbia, so if proximity is important then the hogs might actually have the upper hand, and he'd be a good fit in Petrino's offense. I still say, if the kid wants to play for championships he better either go to Norman or T-town.
    Last edited by Sabanball; 6/2/2011 at 07:34 PM.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    Not quite true--GK has made three visits to Tuscaloosa, the last being about two wks ago, the one before that on 3/29, and not sure when the first one was. He seems to really like our pro-set offense. That being said, my gut says DGB ends up either at Mizzou or Arkie. Actually, I think he lives closer to Fayetteville than he does to Columbia, so if proximity is important then the hogs might actually have the upper hand, and he'd be a good fit in Petrino's offense. I still say, if the kid wants to play for championships he better either go to Norman or T-town.
    Didnt know that, I just recently read an article saying that OU and Mizzou were the only two teams hes visited twice, but either way Im not holding my breath on him or DGB, those guys seem to always go elsewhere while OU continues to win and play in championships. We never win with big name guys out of high school so it wont bother me if neither of them commit to OU, as long as we keep winning with the Bradfords, Jones and Broyles of the world.

vCash

Didnt know that, I just recently read an article saying that OU and Mizzou were the only two teams hes visited twice, but either way Im not holding my breath on him or DGB, those guys seem to always go elsewhere while OU continues to win and play in championships. We never win with big name guys out of high school so it wont bother me if neither of them commit to OU, as long as we keep winning with the Bradfords, Jones and Broyles of the world.
    Not sure that you really thought about the "We never win with big name guys out of high school..." line. Here are a few big name guys out of high school that OU won with. (Not all 4-5 star HS players are going to be DI stars, I realize that)

Adrian Peterson
    Gerald McCoy
    Ryan Reynolds
    DeMarco Murray
    Jamarkus McFarland
    Tom Wort
    Kenny Stills
    Roy Finch
    Tony Jefferson
    Born to fish, forced to work.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I think the comment was directed toward high profile WR recruits and I've also wondered why that is given our string of passing offenses. Maybe Metoyer will mark the beginning of a WR pipeline for us. Stills was highly recruited, but not at the level of Julius Jones or the DGB guy. Broyles is going to leave some very big shoes to fill.

EDIT: any list of big time OU recruits under Stoops has to include Tommy Harris

vCash

Yes my comment was directed mainly at QBs and WRs. The only big QB recruits weve had in the Stoops era were Bomar and he was a bust for us, and then Bell even though he wasnt a huge get, but a solid QB recruit. Then the list of receivers weve been in on in the last 5 or so years but lost at signing day is huge, until Metoyer. Maybe he can flip the trend.

vCash

And to answer your question Boulder, I think the reason those big name guys usually go elswhere is because our offense relies a lot on the flat passes and short slant route stuff that the little quick guys seem to be much better suited for. The last big receiver we had was Kelly and he was good for us, but he really only got opportunities downfield which were few and far in between. Couple that with the fact that most bigtime WR recruits are usually big receivers they see that and it could be a deterrent.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mad Dog Madsen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    EDIT: any list of big time OU recruits under Stoops has to include Tommy Harris

Who is Tommy Harris?

vCash

We never win with big name guys out of high school so it wont bother me if neither of them commit to OU, as long as we keep winning with the Bradfords, Jones and Broyles of the world.
    Yeah that's a pretty idiotic staement. Bradford was the only guy you named that was not highly recruited outta HS but he was still a Top 15 QB in the country at the time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Madsen View Post
    Yeah that's a pretty idiotic staement. Bradford was the only guy you named that was not highly recruited outta HS but he was still a Top 15 QB in the country at the time.
    Im talkin 5 star guys, ones with offers from every school in the country, you know the Rhett Bomar, Adrian Peterson types...Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater, etc, etc...do you have reading comprehension problems? Oh, and while Broyles was a 4 star by only some publications, he had very few offers at all so Id say thats not very highly recruited. Jones was just a 4 star as well. dip****

vCash

We pull in big names every year... We're not Colorado State. Did you just now become a Sooner fan this year or something? I mean we can't pull in every #1 guy at his position every year. Maybe you should look at the short list bixby28 provided for you. Are you just plain stupid or have you just been surrounded by corn fields too long?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

Im talkin 5 star guys, ones with offers from every school in the country, you know the Rhett Bomar, Adrian Peterson types...Julio Jones, Reuben Randle, Kyle Prater, etc, etc...do you have reading comprehension problems? Oh, and while Broyles was a 4 star by only some publications, he had very few offers at all so Id say thats not very highly recruited. Jones was just a 4 star as well. dip****
    they each went to a state school which they were from.

J. Jones was a 5 star
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/alabama/foot...008/Alabama-73

vCash

You're the one that made the stupid statement in the first place. Now you're trying to convince everyone that you were only misunderstood.

vCash

LMAO at Bixby and Madsen...are you guys really this stupid? Honestly what is so hard to understand about the fact that OU rarely ever pulls in top rated QBs and WRs out of high school? I realize in my original post I didnt specify those two positions but I kind of figured most OU fans with half a brain understood what I meant, but just to clarify I dedicated a whole new post to try to help you slow ones out and you still dont get it. Show me the list of top rated QBs and WRs that OU has gotten under Stoops not including Metoyer since I mentioned him originally.

And Jlew...thats a good point. Bottom line is we usually miss out on these guys and still win so like I also said originally, Im not worried about where either of them go.
    Last edited by bornnbredou; 6/4/2011 at 12:33 AM.

vCash

LMAO at Bixby and Madsen...are you guys really this stupid? Honestly what is so hard to understand about the fact that OU rarely ever pulls in top rated QBs and WRs out of high school? I realize in my original post I didnt specify those to positions but I kind of figured most OU fans with half a brain understood what I meant, but just to clarify I dedicated a whole new post to try to help you slow ones out and you still dont get it. Show me the list of top rated QBs and WRs that OU has gotten under Stoops not including Metoyer since I mentioned him originally.

And Jlew...thats a good point. Bottom line is we usually miss out on these guys and still win so like I also said originally, Im not worried about where either of them go.
    You really shouldn't have responded back. I laughed a little after reading this.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bixby28 View Post
    You really shouldn't have responded back. I laughed a little after reading this.
    I even corrected my own mistake before you could respond to it, but the fact that all you can respond with is that is reassuring. WINNING.

vCash

And wheres the list? You guys clearly have some bevy of knowledge about all of these 5 star QBs and WRs that Stoops has recruited that Im just too ignorant to know about. Id really like to see this list and Ill gladly eat my crow.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gresham. #1 te I'n highschool

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MojoRisen View Post
    Gresham. #1 te I'n highschool
    WOW, Im really not sure how to respond to this. Does anyone on this site know what a QB or WR is? Man you all have reading comprehension problems, then again the majority of you on here probably struggled for that high school diploma/GED. (most likely GED for Madsen and Bixby)