Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 stonecoldsoonerfan's Avatar
    vCash

storm shelters that go in your garage?

does anyone have one of these things? the mrs. and i were thinking about getting a shelter and these seem more inexpensive that the underground ones that go in the back yard (we don't have the room to have one put in our home).

any good/bad experiences with these? anyone that does these that is recommended? we live in the edmond area. thanks in advance.
    "Your argument based on the facts is not a valid one."-Hookem Horns, 3/7/03.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you have any old OU athletic events on video? i trade for them. Please email or PM me if you do.

OU game videos

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: storm shelters that go in your garage?

Quote Originally Posted by stonecoldsoonerfan View Post
    does anyone have one of these things? the mrs. and i were thinking about getting a shelter and these seem more inexpensive that the underground ones that go in the back yard (we don't have the room to have one put in our home).

any good/bad experiences with these? anyone that does these that is recommended? we live in the edmond area. thanks in advance.
    I have one. It was already in the home when I bought it 8 years ago.

No problems with it. You don't have to get wet if you head to the shelter.

I had one put in when we built our house, haven't used it yet(knock on wood) but the wife likes it for peace of mind

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Hot Rod's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    I had one put in when we built our house, haven't used it yet(knock on wood) but the wife likes it for peace of mind
    If you don't mind me asking, we're having a house built this year and was thinking about getting one as well, and I was wondering about how much those cost to be put in?
    Ahahahaha...I like it!

vCash

do you just pray that your car doesn't end up on top of it, or what?

party pooper
    vCash

We have one...came with the house we bought (interestingly, didn't know it was there until the final walkthru because a car was covering it when we toured the house). Anyway, we've only been down in it once. Pretty small and cramped. I do worry a little bit about the possibility of being trapped in there if for instance the house came tumbling down on top of it. Also, we have to clean it out every spring because invariably during the winter a couple of mice will find their way into it and can't get back out....

Otherwise, it makes for a great oil-changing station. Just watch your head.

As for whether to recommend or not recommend...I'm not sure. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a backyard one...certainly one big enough to stand in. But it'll do in a pinch.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

I think you can let the fire department know that you have one and when/if your house is flattened they will come looking for you to make sure there is not a car ontop of your fraidy hole.
    Conway Twitty got more ***** by accident than regular guys get on purpose

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OutlandTrophy View Post
    I think you can let the fire department know that you have one and when/if your house is flattened they will come looking for you to make sure there is not a car ontop of your fraidy hole.
    Yeah...we have registered it with the FD for just that reason.

Also, since it's in the 3rd bay, there's never a car intentionally parked over it...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    We have one...came with the house we bought (interestingly, didn't know it was there until the final walkthru because a car was covering it when we toured the house). Anyway, we've only been down in it once. Pretty small and cramped. I do worry a little bit about the possibility of being trapped in there if for instance the house came tumbling down on top of it. Also, we have to clean it out every spring because invariably during the winter a couple of mice will find their way into it and can't get back out....

Otherwise, it makes for a great oil-changing station. Just watch your head.

As for whether to recommend or not recommend...I'm not sure. If I had my druthers, I'd prefer a backyard one...certainly one big enough to stand in. But it'll do in a pinch.
    You have to park a car outside so you can enter the shelter?

If that is the case I would pass...move the car outside so the inevitable hail beats the snot out of it while the nader misses your house by mile or never materializes....

Administrator
    vCash

Not for me. Ain't much I fear other than cramped spaces. I go outside and watch for the tornados, and if one is coming I head for a tin horn down front under the driveway. No way in hell I'm crawling in a hole where the whole damn house might fall over the exit.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    You have to park a car outside so you can enter the shelter?

If that is the case I would pass...move the car outside so the inevitable hail beats the snot out of it while the nader misses your house by mile or never materializes....
    No. we have a 3 car garage. It's in the 3rd bay which is more like a workshop now than a garage.

vCash

My home has poured concrete walls. I either hang out in a windowless room or go out on the porch for a look-see.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member The's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgensooner View Post
    My home has poured concrete walls. I either hang out in a windowless room or go out on the porch for a look-see.

This. If Sky Death is going to knock down my walls, it's prolly going to yank me out of the ground as well.
    Omelet Posse Egg Wrangler.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Not for me. Ain't much I fear other than cramped spaces. I go outside and watch for the tornados, and if one is coming I head for a tin horn down front under the driveway. No way in hell I'm crawling in a hole where the whole damn house might fall over the exit.

I have to agree with you Dean. I am claustrophobic enough on small airplanes.
    Peace, Love and Brotherhood

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    No. we have a 3 car garage. It's in the 3rd bay which is more like a workshop now than a garage.
    Most people don't have a three car garage...it works for you but it wouldn't for me...

If I were going to have a shelter I think I would look at installing a TT design in a walk in closet...

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/weweb/Shelt...ResShelter.php

Basically, I am in the C&C camp...

vCash

We did have a "fraidy-hole" in our garage when I was a kid. My parents put cots in there for middle of the night 'nader raids. My mom was pretty neurotic about the storms and it made her feel better.

I've lived in twister capital state all of my life and I just don't get all squidgy about storms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, we're having a house built this year and was thinking about getting one as well, and I was wondering about how much those cost to be put in?
    it was 2 or 3K, much cheaper now than later, may have even been 1K, its been 7 years ago. They put it in when you are doing your foundation.

You also register your shelter with the City of Edmond, so if a nader does come through they know to come by and check your shelt to see if you are blocked in.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    it was 2 or 3K, much cheaper now than later, may have even been 1K, its been 7 years ago. They put it in when you are doing your foundation.

You also register your shelter with the City of Edmond, so if a nader does come through they know to come by and check your shelt to see if you are blocked in.
    while in the meantime I'm ripping the flesh from my fingers trying to dig out in a mad panic. No thanks.

better than being blown away

Administrator
    vCash

Not for me.