Thread: Boston Marathon

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthCarolinaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Boston Marathon

Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya 2:03:02 (about 4:43 per mile) smashing Haile Gebrselassie's world record by 55 seconds. Might not count as an official world record, since Boston is a point to point course with a net elevation drop, but the previous course record was only 2:05:52 set last year. Also big ups to Ryan Hall, when many people are saying his career is done, he pops a 2:04:57 for an American record. And last but not least, Desiree Davila hanging on in the womens race and just barely getting outkicked 2:22:36 to 2:22:38 by Caroline Kilel. Big day for US runners in Boston .

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaSooner View Post
    Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya 2:03:02 (about 4:43 per mile) smashing Haile Gebrselassie's world record by 55 seconds. Might not count as an official world record, since Boston is a point to point course with a net elevation drop, but the previous course record was only 2:05:52 set last year. Also big ups to Ryan Hall, when many people are saying his career is done, he pops a 2:04:57 for an American record. And last but not least, Desiree Davila hanging on in the womens race and just barely getting outkicked 2:22:36 to 2:22:38 by Caroline Kilel. Big day for US runners in Boston .
    Those times are absolutely sick! Can you imagine sprinting for over 26 miles at a sub five minute per mile pace? Yes, that is a sprinting pace. I can't even run just one mile in under six minutes. I did my first and last marathon in just over five hours, slow by any standards. All I can say is I did it and got my medal. Never again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SouthCarolinaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    Those times are absolutely sick! Can you imagine sprinting for over 26 miles at a sub five minute per mile pace? Yes, that is a sprinting pace. I can't even run just one mile in under six minutes. I did my first and last marathon in just over five hours, slow by any standards. All I can say is I did it and got my medal. Never again!
    Speak for yourself

Just kiddin, what marathon did you do by the way?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaSooner View Post
    Speak for yourself

Just kiddin, what marathon did you do by the way?
    The Derby Marathon in Louisville, KY. That was about five or six years ago. I don't run those kind of distances anymore. In fact, these days a three mile run is about all I do. I have done the Derby half several times, which was a lot of fun. It gets festive along the road as you start getting into downtown. The full marathon is not as fun. When you separate from the half-marathoners, the rest of the course is pretty deserted. When I finished, the stands were mostly empty. But, I did it. And when we walked into the restaurant area to get to the hotel, a bunch of half-marathoners who were eating lunch saw me and applauded. That was nice.