Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

Thai cows wouldn’t make it in Oklahoma

I don’t quite understand this. So, if someone would please take the time to explain it to me, I would appreciate it.

• Over 2,000 head of cattle freeze to death because of 45 degree weather?

• Build bonfires to keep the cattle warm at 63 degrees?

• Is it so wrong for me to think BBQ when I see the words bonfires and cattle in the same sentence?

• Why is it so damn cold? April is supposed to be the hottest month of the year.

• What kind of weak-assed cows are raised in Thailand? They are largely Brahman (we always called them Bremmers in Oklahoma) and I thought that they were a pretty tough, hardy breed.

• No wonder Thai beef sucks so bad. Those poor cows don’t have any meat on their bones.

And, Chaiyaphum province is where my rice farm is. Well, it is currently only 66 degrees in Bangkok and I am shivering my *** off.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home...-30152075.html

Over 2,000 cattle killed by unseasonable cold spell in Chiang Mai

Unseasonal cold weather in the North has killed more than 2,000 head of cattle in Chiang Mai's Om Koi district, with a sharp temperature drop to 45 degrees in affected areas in the past few days.

Livestock officials are paying inspection visits to farmland and cattle farms to advise handlers to prepare the animals to cope with the cold, while giving medicines and germ killing drugs to pep up their health. In Chaiyaphum, where average temperature is 63 degrees, handlers are advised to make bonfires to give heat to their cattle.
    Chuck's version of Christmas is the Anti-SicEm-
    SicEmBaylor

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUHOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Thai cows wouldn’t make it in Oklahoma

maybe you need to import some real cattle
    Posse Member hoping for middle manager, Yep , I dont know ****

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by C&CDean
    I'm a tolerant mother****er.

Administrator
    vCash

They're starving to death. Here's me and some Oklahoma cattle last winter...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

are you wearing a gas mask Dean?

Administrator
    vCash

Administrator
    vCash

Mother****er, it was cold.

vCash

looks like Montana

Administrator
    vCash

Or maybe 8 miles east of Lexington, OK.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUHOMER View Post
    maybe you need to import some real cattle
    Maybe I should.

I remember that my grandfather used to feed hay to his cows pretty late in the spring. He said that the cows will chase after fresh green grass and actually lose weight. He said that the new grass initially wasn't very nutritious for them. He didn't explain why, but I guess it is because there is so much water in the new grass that hadn't grown enough to build up the fiber content. That could be the problem in Thailand as the cows aren't grazing on nutritious enough grass.

So, I guess I would need to import Okie grass too! Okay, that didn't come out right.
    SicEmBaylor

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    Maybe I should.

I remember that my grandfather used to feed hay to his cows pretty late in the spring. He said that the cows will chase after fresh green grass and actually lose weight. He said that the new grass initially wasn't very nutritious for them. He didn't explain why, but I guess it is because there is so much water in the new grass that hadn't grown enough to build up the fiber content. That could be the problem in Thailand as the cows aren't grazing on nutritious enough grass.

So, I guess I would need to import Okie grass too! Okay, that didn't come out right.
    Send Thai stix. We'll send you Okie grass...

Early season grass doesn't have any protein, and it scours the cows up pretty bad. Instead of gaining, they'll lose weight because a) they walk all over trying to find it, and b) when they do, they liquid **** it right back out. They have to have some dry hay during this time to maintain their weight.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

Dean was that 2011 or during the great ice storm of 2010?

Those steers must have been hungry, steers always seem to be "curious" and follow the human, but they seldom want to come within 50 feet. Those suckers looked like a pack of hound dogs waiting for Dean to open a grain sack of Old Roy!
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post

Dean, I didn't see your post before. I think you are right. It is sort of a free range dealio and they herd their cows out to the fields to graze on the levees between the rice patties during the day and herd them back home to the barn at night. Otherwise, someone will steal them. No cake and no protein means freezing to death at 45 degrees.

And, that pic does bring up a few memories.
    SicEmBaylor

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OhU1 View Post

Those steers must have been hungry, steers always seem to be "curious" and follow the human, but they seldom want to come within 50 feet. Those suckers looked like a pack of hound dogs waiting for Dean to open a grain sack of Old Roy!
    1. Those ain't steers. Those are cows.
    2. It was 2010.
    3. My cows (and calves) will follow me right inside the house if I lead them there.
    4. That's Shawnee's best, not Ol' Roy dangit.
    5. Heifer - unbred female. Steer - denutted male. First calf heifer - heifer who has her first calf. Cow - female who has had at least 2 calves. Bull - nuts still attached, searching out the hos.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OhU1's Avatar
    vCash

2. It was 2010.
    3. My cows (and calves) will follow me right inside the house if I lead them there.
    5. Heifer - unbred female. Steer - denutted male. First calf heifer - heifer who has her first calf. Cow - female who has had at least 2 calves. Bull - nuts still attached, searching out the hos.
    Cool, and seriously thanks for the info. I knew steers were de-nutted but not the other stuff.

I had a feeling that the kind of ice and cold hellish misery depicted in those photos must have been the 2010 ice apocalypse. Otherwise know in SW Oklahoma as the week without electricity.
    "Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.."
    Penn Jillette

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OhU1 View Post

For the cows I used to feed, you'd be lucky if they didn't try to knock you over to get to the cake being put out in the troughs. From a young age, I learned to yell "hey, hey, hey" in a very loud voice and move very quickly so I could make it to the end of the troughs.

Heh! Dean, my first real job with real pay was when I was 14 and helped an old man deliver and unload truckloads of Shawnee feed to local ranchers.
    SicEmBaylor

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonercruiser's Avatar
    vCash

MANCOWS!
    How can there be too many children?
    That is like saying there are too many flowers.
    Mother Teresa

-------------------
    (Or, too many tax-payers!)

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao View Post
    For the cows I used to feed, you'd be lucky if they didn't try to knock you over to get to the cake being put out in the troughs. From a young age, I learned to yell "hey, hey, hey" in a very loud voice and move very quickly so I could make it to the end of the troughs.

Heh! Dean, my first real job with real pay was when I was 14 and helped an old man deliver and unload truckloads of Shawnee feed to local ranchers.
    Good times, huh? Once they learn the drill, they will flat run you over to get to the cake. During this particular storm, my feeders were completely full of ice. I was just tossing it out on the ground. 4 mommas calved during that crap too, and every one of those little ****s made it. 1-hour old calves with steam coming off them, and icicles forming off them at the same time. Brutal. Tough, hearty animals. Except, I guess the Thai version.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mongo's Avatar
    vCash

I bet a large percentage of Thai cows are really bulls pretending

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OutlandTrophy's Avatar
    vCash

ladybulls
    Conway Twitty got more ***** by accident than regular guys get on purpose

vCash

2. It was 2010.
    I'll be damned...so a cow ain't a cow unless she has dropped at least two calves...